Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do you think there are more male fans than female fans?

FlutterDerpy582

To be honest, I think that it's simply due to the fact that there are more males on the Internet in general. I'm not sure why this is the case in the first place but it is pretty apparent that the Internet is male dominated.

And since the fandom sprouted on the net, it is only natural I think, that a majority of the fandom is male.

Of course, if we take the amount of fans who are 8 and under into account, then I'm pretty sure that the number of female fans would outweight the number of males! ...but that's beside the point I suppose :P

because the internet and internet culture is mostly dominated by guys, or at least used to be. part of why a pegasister is a pegasister inctead of just a girl who, like many other girls, likes mlp, is that a pegasister is a girl version of a brony. or in other words, a teen-adult girl who is interested in the internet and it's related subcultures, ex, videogames. girls like that are uncommon, though they do exist (heck, i'm one of them). although, nowadays if you looked at the statistics around 40% of people on the internet are girls now, so maybe pegasisters aren't as rare as we think

• Brohoof 1

It seems this thread is attracting the gals. ;) There are probably more here that we realize. I never really tell people I'm a girl. I think I have probably mentioned it once. It's not something that comes up that much so we may be chatting to more girls than we think! ;)

One of the reason I like ponies is because I'm tomboyish

lolwut?

who would of guessed, 14 year old, tomboy that has to swear in every sentence would become a pony loving weirdo

In all seriousness,

Most girls in my school won't give the show a chance, at least 5 of them I give mlp parody videos and they watch them, and 3 of them keep asking me to draw them a pony, my best friend is the one that won't give the show a chance, but she's watched everything else I tell her to watch like Dick Figures, Happy Tree Friends, and other random crap that I watch, I'm planning to give her a mlp parody so maybe she'll give to show a chance

My conclusion is that, MOST girls are bitches and that's why they don't give the show a chance

I agree with Berryziod to a degree, but if most girls act like that, wouldn't that mean that men would think the show isn't "manly" enough to openly like or watch it?

I dunno. I think it also has to do with the fact that some girls prefer to be called a brony rather than a pegasister. i like to be called a brony, myself. But that may just be because im genderqueer. but..

everyone's different, i guess. o 3o

I think there are more female bronies than we see, just because they aren't as vocal as males doesn't mean there aren't as many.

Also there are no women on the internet.

All women are men

All men are young boys

All young boys are young girls

All young girls are law enforcement agents

Jokes

And with the law enforcement agents comes the 4chan party van to take us all away! :P

Posted Image

I think community is the key word. In real life, it's far more 'okay' for females to like and watch MLP. They can express it more openly, have a cute MLP thing to accent an adult purse (maybe) or wear a cute MLP shirt and in general it has a more easygoing, open feel to it. The worst that will be thought of us is that we're childish, whereas most of it can be written off as we are nostalgic or simply like cute things.

The importance of the community, the banding together, the support - that definitely attracts bronies who have more of a social stigma with it. In the community, their expressions can be released more freely as compared to "normal" social situations. It's an outlet, a community, a place to vent and gush that many do not have in real life, or if they do, they probably keep it 'toned down' in real life. That'll build, and it's gotta go somewhere, or at least it should.

I also agree with the person that said little boys are made to grow up faster and not really allowed to enjoy cute/emotional things. Grow up, harden your heart, and attack that evil enemy. GO JOE!

Honestly, I am THRILLED about the large male fanbase of MLP FiM. It proves so many guys don't want (only) all this heartless masculine manly blah. Men feel things too!

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

A lot of the female fans already liked MLP, so they stay in the pre-brony era MLP communities(yes, there's a lot, it's not hard to find them, and some of the old fansites can be quite nostalgic to look at if you remember the tail-end of the AOL era)

Most of the people in the FiM exclusive communities are going to be us guys, and tomboys, the groups that wouldnt've been into MLP otherwise.  

Honestly i think the characters are more relate-able for the kind of guys who like the show. Lets be honest, the majority of the fan base fits a sort of nerdy, off beat, hipster group in real life. I find the characters share traits with people like me who fit into the previously mentioned groups more than they share traits with the target audience of little girls. What the target audience sees is a show about colorful ponies that sing and prance around. What the bronies see is a very well crafted show that expresses themes and characters which feel like they pertain to their lives and internal struggles.

• Brohoof 2

Old topic is old and yet I find it revived.

There are more male fans because of where it originally got popular: 4Chan. 9/10 people on that site are male. 

Gotta love forum gravediggers; they bring back the dead in all their unholy glory.

Regardless, I actually find that point interesting, because I just can't stand 4Chan. I used to go on there from time to time but I just grew out of it. I know my middle brother, who is certainly no Brony, teases me all the time saying that I owe the fact that I love My Little Pony to 4Chan, but I just don't find that fair. Sure, 4Chan may have brought it into the limelight, but I didn't even know the origins of its popularity until after I became a Brony.

Nothing against people who like to go on 4Chan, of course, but I'm just not found of the place myself.

• Brohoof 1

Gotta love forum gravediggers; they bring back the dead in all their unholy glory.

Regardless, I actually find that point interesting, because I just can't stand 4Chan. I used to go on there from time to time but I just grew out of it. I know my middle brother, who is certainly no Brony, teases me all the time saying that I owe the fact that I love My Little Pony to 4Chan, but I just don't find that fair. Sure, 4Chan may have brought it into the limelight, but I didn't even know the origins of its popularity until after I became a Brony.

Nothing against people who like to go on 4Chan, of course, but I'm just not found of the place myself.

Well, thank Ra1nbowCrasH for bringing this thread back from the dead. biggrin.png I don't like 4Chan, either. I don't remember when I found out the craze originated from there, but I definitely knew when I was a new brony.

Edited by Twilie Sparkle
  • Brohoof 1

Well, thank Ra1nbowCrasH for bringing this thread back from the dead. img-1308743-1-biggrin.png I don't like 4Chan, either. I don't remember when I found out the craze originated from there, but I definitely knew when I was a new brony.

Well, I found out after I became a Brony. I had known about Bronies and the show a year before I became a Brony, but I hadn't really looked into it or why it became so popular.

After I became a Brony and got hooked on the show, I did a lot of research and saw its origins on 4Chan. Once again, not a fan of 4Chan, but I'm definitely not surprised that it became popular because of 4Chan. I think we can safely say by now that, while 4Chan started this Brony madness, it's definitely spread far, far beyond 4Chan now.

• Brohoof 1

Now that I think about it.... I have no idea why males watch/like MLP more than females! img-1309690-1-biggrin.png I just never really figured out why.... never did....

Well, for me it's all about the heartwarming stories, and the awesome characters and their respective personalities. Also the fact, I liked cute things to begin with coming from an anime background and all. I watch "moe" shows "girls doing cute things" shows. 

I think the reason why there is such a huge male fanbase is the fact that the ponies have distinct and attractive personalities. Heck, I fell in love with each and everyone of them. Combine this with the fact, "most" guys typically don't exercise friendship on a deep level. Most of the time it's just, "What's up, Bro!" typically superficial. So in essence the show is teaching us what friendship is about, something "most" girls already know. : ) My two cents.

Edited by Pinkie Pie 3 U

In the social circle I run in, the 'bronies' sub-group has more women than men, and the ages range from about 16 (I think) to 45. But then, to be honest; I have more female friends in general than I have male friends.

Heck, in my gaming groups (D&D, GURPS, boardgames, LAN games, etc.), the women tend to outnumber the men so my statistics may be skewed to begin with.

I think there's more male fans than female because of where 'bronies' started off from. It started in a place where there generally are more males in general (4chan). By the time it had reached the 'internet mainstream', the label 'brony' had already been established, which may have perpetuated the idea that this is mostly a 'male' fandom. I'm not quite sure though, just my own take on it. I do think that there are more female bronies than most might think though. *waves hand!* :P

I know my middle brother, who is certainly no Brony, teases me all the time saying that I owe the fact that I love My Little Pony to 4Chan, but I just don't find that fair.

Well, I was first shown MLP by a fellow Deviantart member.  And I don't know how many people removed from the original 4Chan influence she was.  I don't feel as though I owe them.  Would this cartoon have been discovered by us if not for 4Chan?  Yes, quality animation always is.  It might have taken a bit longer to catch on.  But one way or another, this was destined to be a hit. 

I don't have much to add to the sex ratio discussion of the fandom except to say the the Powerpuff Girl board I belonged to eight years ago had a male majority, but it was closer to 60-40 than the 80-20 predominance seen here.  Are girls really not watching because they consider MLP, or cartoons in general, to be too childish?  How odd.  I thought the pressure to give up television for kids was greater on guys. 

• 8 years later...
On 2012-03-15 at 12:43 AM, Ethereal said:

because the internet and internet culture is mostly dominated by guys, or at least used to be. part of why a pegasister is a pegasister inctead of just a girl who, like many other girls, likes mlp, is that a pegasister is a girl version of a brony. or in other words, a teen-adult girl who is interested in the internet and it's related subcultures, ex, videogames. girls like that are uncommon, though they do exist (heck, i'm one of them). although, nowadays if you looked at the statistics around 40% of people on the internet are girls now, so maybe pegasisters aren't as rare as we think

Exactly.