Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Timber Wolves

Tabe

So I thought ALOT about Mlp at work today and I got a bunch of things that I wanted to share. I won't take all at once, I'll start with the Timber Wolves.

We have seen how they rebuild themselves when destroyed. That would mean that they are invincible and we have also seen multiple wolves being rebuilt into a bigger wolf, stating that they don't need their "original" parts to rebuild. So my thought is: No one is doing anything about these wolves, and lets say they keep building themselves, or mating and making little baby wolves, or whatever they do. Could they just not build thousands of wolves and basically take over Equestria? The elements of harmony could probably fix it, but we don't know that.

What do you think? Timber Wolves is a bigger threat than we think?

They obviously have some of the magic of Everfree Forest coursing through their wooded veins....They seem to be a threat within and directly around the Everfree Forest itself. We have not seen these creatures outside the forest (like in Canterlot), although ponies do know what they are (at least the Ponyvillians do). They seem to be magical entities that are created by the forest and are thus subject to the forest's logic, which determines their way (and how many) of "reproduction." Due to the ambiguity of the Everfree Forest, even after the S4 opener, it's really hard to say what led to their creation, how they create more of their kind, and why they can combine Power Rangers style into a larger wolf....

edit add: I do not see them taking over the Equestria unless the forest itself does as well (and succeeds)....

Edited by Treble Bolt
  • Brohoof 2

I've always thought 'Timber Wolves' were a Discord thing, to be honest. It just strikes me as his sense of humor in a nutshell. First, the pun, and second the whole 'You ponies like to eat plants, so here's a plant that eats you!'

Otherwise, yes, I think they (and the rest of the Everfree Forest creatures) are way more threatening than they're given credit for. They don't seem particularly sturdy, breaking apart pretty easily, but they're ability to 'reassemble' is really powerful.

• Brohoof 1

It seems to me that Timber Wolves are not actual entities, but magical energy. The Everfree forest may have a strong ambient magic (explaining some of the creatures, as well as possibly why Zecora prefers living there), and this energy may coalesce at certain times and places, making Timber Wolves nothing more than energy and intent, dependent on the forest that spawned them to give them form. It makes sense that if they are spawned my the Forest's energy that they would not live in other places (unless there are forests similar to the Everfree). The Super-wolf may have be multiple units of intent-energy (intenergy!) combining power to create a larger form (side note: possible that the magical size determines how much material the Wolf can hold, limiting size potential). Additionally, if they are the result of the Forest's magic, they may rise, fade, combine, and split based on the natural flow, meaning they would not be born, but either spawned or the result of larger entities splitting.

Theory summary: Timber Wolves are units of Everfree magic with a degree of intent (likely protection) which only take form when needed, and do so by picking up plant material.

• Brohoof 3

One problem, they're retarded and easy as Hell to destroy. For god's sake, one choked on a PEBBLE! They're also prissies, seen when they run away from pots and pans

Edited by Evil Dragon Master

In my personal evaluation of the species, I think @@Frith is Magick comes closest to hitting the mark of what sounds the most plausible.

My own general theory is they're a more simplified, magical entity without a true physical form that controls magic-receptive matter in much the same way as one would a puppet. These entities would either have to be identity-less (no true individuals, just seperated "units") or possess an intellect that can cooperate closely with other 'individuals'--which would be indicated both in their ability to control one single physical manifestation and their natural inclination towards pack dynamics/species. It is said that wolves hunt as one, among certain groups.

So my theory is they're either:

A.) A hive mind, or partially so, grouping of individual spirit-esque magical beings that can puppet wood laden with everfree magics

B.) Some less defined group/creature that has the same ability

C.) Frith's suggestion of them simply being a manifestation of everfree magic

...Though I've seen some fanfictions represent them as basically a more evolved form of the venus flytrap--predatory plant species (likely using natural magic common to equestria for some abilities/physiological quirks) that stand as a local apex predator, as nothing that rivals it can likely digest plant matter (the biggest and meanest eat meat, so they're safe from being hunted).

EDIT:

We have seen how they rebuild themselves when destroyed. That would mean that they are invincible

Also, I disagree with this. We've seen that they have regenerative abilities, but then, lizards can regrow their tails, and starfish and regenerate from a single arm and some remnants of stomach if memory serves, yet both can be killed easily enough--there is likely a limit to their recovery potential. I can't really see there not being a level where a timberwolf simply will not recover; if pieces being separated doesn't do it, we can't assume the same would happen if we damaged the pieces themselves.

It may be akin to taking apart a gun--you don't actually destroy the gun until you break enough of the pieces, but beyond that, it doesn't matter really how much you reduce it to its component parts.

Edited by SFyr
  • Brohoof 2

@@SFyr,

Actually, considering IRL bears can eat plants, Ursa Minors and Majors would be a significant threat. Even a Timberwolf king would fall to a Minor, let alone a Major. There's also Parasprites who could strip the Timberwolves to pieces if hungry 

Also, I disagree with this. We've seen that they have regenerative abilities, but then, lizards can regrow their tails, and starfish and regenerate from a single arm and some remnants of stomach if memory serves, yet both can be killed easily enough--there is likely a limit to their recovery potential. I can't really see there not being a level where a timberwolf simply will not recover; if pieces being separated doesn't do it, we can't assume the same would happen if we damaged the pieces themselves.

Actually, considering IRL bears can eat plants, Ursa Minors and Majors would be a significant threat. Even a Timberwolf king would fall to a Minor, let alone a Major. There's also Parasprites who could strip the Timberwolves to pieces if hungry 

Both of these raise the question of how much the component parts matter to the Timber Wolf. If it is a unit of energy with some semblance of consciousness or intent, than destroying the parts would be meaningless, as it could just reassemble. Considering the Super-wolf drew material not just from the smaller wolves but also the forest, we can assume that any material will suffice, and that utter destruction of the material would not kill the wolf. If Timber Wolves are the result of magic in the wood itself and not individual or distinct beings, then killing the wolf would require killing the magic (processing into lumber, digestion, burning, possibly magic or other things), making them mortal, but challenging to actually destroy.  

They are scared away by pots and pans
First of all, Granny Smith left the forest, their job was done, plus pots and pans aren't the only thing that clang (think weapons and armour), so they probably decided the chase wasn't worth it. Either way, Timber Wolves are flippin' awesome, seriously, brohooves to whoever thought of them. Edited by Frith is Magick
  • Brohoof 1

I thought the concept of the Timber Wolves was pretty awesome. The fact that they can regenerate definitely makes them a threat.

Even though it only takes a rock to destroy them..

• Brohoof 1

@,

They are scared away by pots and pans >_> 

Both of these raise the question of how much the component parts matter to the Timber Wolf. If it is a unit of energy with some semblance of consciousness or intent, than destroying the parts would be meaningless, as it could just reassemble. Considering the Super-wolf drew material not just from the smaller wolves but also the forest, we can assume that any material will suffice, and that utter destruction of the material would not kill the wolf. If Timber Wolves are the result of magic in the wood itself and not individual or distinct beings, then killing the wolf would require killing the magic (processing into lumber, digestion, burning, possibly magic or other things), making them mortal, but challenging to actually destroy.  

It could be that they need energy to regenerate, sort of like Piccolo from DBZ? Maybe King Timberwolves are so complex they can actually be killed? We don't know

Could they just not build thousands of wolves and basically take over Equestria?

Well they're not sapient, so I don't think they could actually plan a takeover.

But they could have a population boom... if the population of their natural predators, the beavers, lessens...  ;)

Edited by ShadOBabe

• 7 years later...
On 2014-04-12 at 8:01 PM, Harmony And Rarity said:

Nothing a FlameThrower couldn't take care of.

it funny since spike is a dragon that breath fire and the Timber wolves are made of wood

I think they are just Predatory Mindless Instincts driven animal looking to survived

See the source imageSee the source image