Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bon_Bon

My mom wants to follow me at babscon! I really want to meet other bronies, but I don't really want her meeting all of my bronie friends! Please give me advice!!!!!

My advice would depend on how old you are. It would also depend on how far away the convention is from where you live. 

It is like 10 mins away! And I am 15.

Allowing you, a 15-year old girl, to roam around the building without being nearby would be the height of irresponsibility. She shouldn't feel the need to hover over your shoulder for the entire time if you are with friends, but if you are planning on meeting people at the convention that you have met online, she should definitely be supervising.

• Brohoof 3

My advice would depend on how old you are. 

^Yeah that.  I mean if you're over 18, or near that and you're fairly independent and allowed to do some things on your own normally, maybe you should just talk to her about it and let her know that sometimes you might want a bit of space.  If you're younger, I'd probably say that you might want to just stick with your mom... she probably just isn't comfortable with you going around a strange town on your own with a ton of other people around.

I'm not really sure what to tell you though... I've always been a person who didn't mind having my mom meet my friends, so I just don't have much advice for you :(  (I mean heck, my mom talks to some of my old high school and middle school friends on facebook that I haven't spoken to in years...)

Allowing you, a 15-year old girl, to roam around the building without being nearby would be the height of irresponsibility. She shouldn't feel the need to hover over your shoulder for the entire time if you are with friends, but if you are planning on meeting people at the convention that you have met online, she should definitely be supervising.

Okay yeah, I have to agree here.  I absolutely get wanting your space, but you have to understand this from her point of view.  Her 15 year old is going to a giant convention, probably in a place you're not super familiar with (unless you happen to live in the area) and meeting people they met online that she knows little about.  She might very well let you go out and be alone with your online friends once she's had a chance to meet them, but I would just agree to let her stick with you and then if you have something in particular you'd like to do alone like go out to lunch with some friends, you should ask after she has had a chance to meet them and get comfortable with those people.

Edited by Simon
  • Brohoof 2

I don't see why you should be afraid of your mom meeting your friends. Unless you're afraid of her embarrassing you or something. Are any of your friends bringing any parents as well?

Edit: Anyways, I can see why she's worried, going to a big huge convention. I think you should just tell your friends that your mom is curious, and would like to see what it's about. I don't know your friends, but considering they're bronies, they should understand :)

Edited by Princess of the Sun

^Yeah that.  I mean if you're over 18, or near that and you're fairly independent and allowed to do some things on your own normally, maybe you should just talk to her about it and let her know that sometimes you might want a bit of space.  If you're younger, I'd probably say that you might want to just stick with your mom... she probably just isn't comfortable with you going around a strange town on your own with a ton of other people around.

I'm not really sure what to tell you though... I've always been a person who didn't mind having my mom meet my friends, so I just don't have much advice for you :(  (I mean heck, my mom talks to some of my old high school and middle school friends on facebook that I haven't spoken to in years...)

thanks! I will introduce her to the bronies

• Brohoof 2

I have always wanted to go to an MLP convention, but they are always held too far from where I live :(

• Brohoof 1

I don't see why you should be afraid of your mom meeting your friends. Unless you're afraid of her embarrassing you or something. Are any of your friends bringing any parents as well?

Edit: Anyways, I can see why she's worried, going to a big huge convention. I think you should just tell your friends that your mom is curious, and would like to see what it's about. I don't know your friends, but considering they're bronies, they should understand :)

Okay yeah, I have to agree here.  I absolutely get wanting your space, but you have to understand this from her point of view.  Her 15 year old is going to a giant convention, probably in a place you're not super familiar with (unless you happen to live in the area) and meeting people they met online that she knows little about.  She might very well let you go out and be alone with your online friends once she's had a chance to meet them, but I would just agree to let her stick with you and then if you have something in particular you'd like to do alone like go out to lunch with some friends, you should ask after she has had a chance to meet them and get comfortable with those people.

My advice would depend on how old you are. It would also depend on how far away the convention is from where you live. 

Okay! I think feel better about it! I am happy to have my mom taking me!

sammmeeee   hahhahahahahahhaha

Dude! We are going together! Swag :3

I have always wanted to go to an MLP convention, but they are always held too far from where I live :(

Okay! The only reason I am allowed to go to babscon because it is 10 mins away from my house! Look up a place where you live and ad bronycon to the end of it!!!

• Brohoof 2

^ THIS ^

I'm an adult woman, I'm 24, nearly got a decade on ya. I'm generally staying with my guy friends because honestly? There are creepy people in every fandom and there's safety in numbers. I have been randomly hugged from behind by complete strangers at conventions because I'm in cosplay.

Your mom is looking out for you and that's good! Be happy you have a mom that cares about your wellbeing and have fun with it. See what she's interested in, show some (not creepy) art, marvel at costumes.

• Brohoof 2

^Yeah that. I mean if you're over 18, or near that and you're fairly independent and allowed to do some things on your own normally, maybe you should just talk to her about it and let her know that sometimes you might want a bit of space. If you're younger, I'd probably say that you might want to just stick with your mom... she probably just isn't comfortable with you going around a strange town on your own with a ton of other people around.

I'm not really sure what to tell you though... I've always been a person who didn't mind having my mom meet my friends, so I just don't have much advice for you :( (I mean heck, my mom talks to some of my old high school and middle school friends on facebook that I haven't spoken to in years...)

Okay yeah, I have to agree here. I absolutely get wanting your space, but you have to understand this from her point of view. Her 15 year old is going to a giant convention, probably in a place you're not super familiar with (unless you happen to live in the area) and meeting people they met online that she knows little about. She might very well let you go out and be alone with your online friends once she's had a chance to meet them, but I would just agree to let her stick with you and then if you have something in particular you'd like to do alone like go out to lunch with some friends, you should ask after she has had a chance to meet them and get comfortable with those people.

I would understand if the convention was on the other side of the country or something, but OP said it is 10 minutes from where OP lives so it probably is in the same town too. Edited by I-Iz-A-Person