Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

BronyCAN 2014: Who on the forum is going?

Red Cedar

That sketch was awesome.

I had to control my spending, so I missed out on a lot of things that I wanted to buy.

I will state this, again.....  I would like to applaud all the Bronies who were friendly with each other.  There was so much socialization with each other happening.  I could not help, but watch with amazement. 

Kudos to those who attended the event and made as a lot of other Bronies feel welcome to it.  Next year, I suspect even more will show up to it.  There were already people rushing to register for next year's event.  AWESOME!

• Brohoof 2

If I am a changling I'm certainly not one of those that belong to Queen...Valkerie?....Vulcan?...Vullacrollalopolis?

LOL. Was that you who said that at Pinkie Pie's Talk Show?

Anyway, it was a seriously awesome time, and I'm hoping to do it again next year, dates depending. (We're committed to hitting Spokane next year for WorldCon, so if the dates don't clash, I'll do BronyCan as well.)

LOL. Was that you who said that at Pinkie Pie's Talk Show?

Anyway, it was a seriously awesome time, and I'm hoping to do it again next year, dates depending. (We're committed to hitting Spokane next year for WorldCon, so if the dates don't clash, I'll do BronyCan as well.)

Yeah, it was. I was the guy in the Organization XIII coat. I was having a lot of fun that day. XD

I also found out about the Brony Meetups in Metrotown. I was invited to one of those, I'm thinking of going.

Edited by The Coffee Pony

That sketch was awesome.

I had to control my spending, so I missed out on a lot of things that I wanted to buy.

I had a hard time tearing my eyes away from that sketch this morning. If I ever confess to being a Brony, I'm getting a frame for that. TBH, I way overspent, and my bank account needs time to heal. I decided to pay the huge parking tolls, because the placement was convenient, and I don't know Richmond very well, so I wasn't about to try to figure out where I can and can't park for a long period of time. I parked in the lot over on Saturday, which costs more, and doesn't have an all day parking option. In total, I spent $39 on parking alone. Of course there was my pass for $50, and $78 worth of stuff, minus the $5 my friend gave me on Friday, so I spent $73 there.

According to my math, I spent $162, not including gas and what I spent eating out.:( I still missed out on a lot of merch. Some people must have spent huge on their swag, and I wouldn't have been able to afford half of it. Don't feel bad for missing out on stuff Aquaryan. I came more to make memories than anything, and if you got at least some swag to bring home, that counts as something. I don't actually regret going, and spending what I did though.:D It just stung a little.

I knew this community was tight and charitable among other things, but seeing it with my own eyes was an entirely new experience. Bronies really have internalized some great principles as displayed in the show. If nothing else, they're welcoming. My friend felt he didn't fit in due to everyone else seeming to be much more into the show, but I think if he had stayed longer, he would have found that the community is remarkably accepting, whether you're a newish fan who's still in the closet about it and who has never been to a Brony con of any kind before, or a fan who flies out to all the various cons, has every piece of merchandise imaginable, and has met all the staff for the show and comics, or anyone in between.

There doesn't appear to be a lot of elitism in this fanbase, and the sense of community trumps all. Truth be told, I wasn't sure if I'd feel like I fit in at this thing, but as it turns out, I was just as accepted as everyone else. Race, gender and creed were irrelevant, as was degree of fondness in the show, as long as we all had some. I'm happy to be a part of this fanbase, and look forward to doing it all again next year.

Edited by Tross
  • Brohoof 3

And, one of the best parts about the hotel... check out the lounge's drink specials...(Applejacks are really, really good!)attachicon.gifIMG-20140823-drinklist.jpg

That is awesome. I didn't see that when I was there. I'm assuming you're talking about the Executive Airport Plaza Hotel where the event was hosted.

Am I the only one experiencing what I've decided to call post-con crash? Symptoms include obsessing over merchandise purchased at a recently attended con, and wanting to discuss the experience till the cows come home. Does anyone have any remedies? A type of herbal tea, perhaps?

• Brohoof 1

That is awesome. I didn't see that when I was there. I'm assuming you're talking about the Executive Airport Plaza Hotel where the event was hosted.

Am I the only one experiencing what I've decided to call post-con crash? Symptoms include obsessing over merchandise purchased at a recently attended con, and wanting to discuss the experience till the cows come home. Does anyone have any remedies? A type of herbal tea, perhaps?

Yup. There was a sign with the drinks in the hotel lobby, and outside Carver's, and on Carver's bar.

I've been going to some form of convention for the better part of *mumble* years now, and I can honestly say that, yes, I get that too. But I enjoy obsessing over the stuff I got at a con (usually autographs on books or pictures) and I'm in contact with the people I was at the con with. And then, after a little while, I calm down, get back into a routine, and start looking forward to the next one.

• Brohoof 1

Yup. There was a sign with the drinks in the hotel lobby, and outside Carver's, and on Carver's bar.I've been going to some form of convention for the better part of *mumble* years now, and I can honestly say that, yes, I get that too. But I enjoy obsessing over the stuff I got at a con (usually autographs on books or pictures) and I'm in contact with the people I was at the con with. And then, after a little while, I calm down, get back into a routine, and start looking forward to the next one.

Yeah, I expect that's what will happen. It will just take time. Oh well. I guess I should get used to this feeling if I decide to go every year.

Yeah, I expect that's what will happen. It will just take time. Oh well. I guess I should get used to this feeling if I decide to go every year.

Yeah, the feeling will happen at other Conventions.  I do hope you made friends with the other bronies there (outside of this forum).

Yeah, the feeling will happen at other Conventions.  I do hope you made friends with the other bronies there (outside of this forum).

There was one guys there that I did. Actually, I got the sense I was among friends the entire time I was there. The entire atmosphere was relaxed. The staff from the show and comics are really approachable too. I mean, you could casually pass them in the hallway, or catch them finding a seat at the closing ceremonies just like everyone else. Chatting face to face with Amy Mebberson in the vendor hall was an interesting experience. I mean, of course all these people are people just like the rest of us, but I never imagined interacting with them in that way. The event staff were also really approachable.

It wasn't just the staff though. I went to E3, and of course I chatted with people here and there, but it was never as personal, except when I was with my forum friends, and that was mostly because we already knew each other prior to meeting face to face. There was nothing quite like strolling into a room full of complete strangers and singing along with an entire group to various songs from the show and the fandom. That would never happen at any other event I'm familiar with. If there were karaoke, there would be an orderly line to it, and there'd probably be an orderly line to get into the game room period, with staff keeping track of how long you've been there, and letting you know when you should leave, and let the next person in line come in. I mean, sure, there were lines for things, but they weren't as frequent as I expected. I felt like I could talk to anyone at any time, and it wouldn't be odd or off-putting.

• Brohoof 2

There was nothing quite like strolling into a room full of complete strangers and singing along with an entire group to various songs from the show and the fandom.

So true. I really hope they have that karaoke game next year, that was awesome. Even though when I was there I didn't really feel comfortable joining in in the singing... but maybe next year I will.

So true. I really hope they have that karaoke game next year, that was awesome. Even though when I was there I didn't really feel comfortable joining in in the singing... but maybe next year I will.

I didn't feel comfortable enough to actually participate, but once the group started singing along to some of the songs, I joined in. Then again, I go to church, and people sing along to the songs there, so I guess I'm used to that sort of thing.
  • Brohoof 1

I didn't feel comfortable enough to actually participate, but once the group started singing along to some of the songs, I joined in. Then again, I go to church, and people sing along to the songs there, so I guess I'm used to that sort of thing.

I go to Church too, though I never would have thought of that comparison. 

Is there any livestream?

I don't know about a livestream, but there were cameras filming every panel. If we can re-watch the panels, that would be really cool. That way I could take my friend through my day yesterday. I think there was mention of it being posted on the con's website. I'll be sure to check it out after all is said and done.

While we had no streams this year, we recorded almost every panel. I'm part of the team that's working to publish these recordings - it'll be worth the wait! :D

I hope my panel wasn't a letdown; with everything else going on (I ran the IT department, and CloudBolt had his plate full with Celestia Radio), not nearly as much prep time went into it as either of us would've liked. I heard some good feedback, though.

How many of you did I unknowingly run into throughout the weekend? I spent a good chunk of the con manning con ops, and a lot of people went in and out through there. :)

• Brohoof 2

While we had no streams this year, we recorded almost every panel. I'm part of the team that's working to publish these recordings - it'll be worth the wait! :D

I hope my panel wasn't a letdown; with everything else going on (I ran the IT department, and CloudBolt had his plate full with Celestia Radio), not nearly as much prep time went into it as either of us would've liked. I heard some good feedback, though.

How many of you did I unknowingly run into throughout the weekend? I spent a good chunk of the con manning con ops, and a lot of people went in and out through there. :)

Yeah, I saw you and Cloudbolt (the panel).  I did not see you afterwards, though.  I saw Cloudbolt interviewing people.

Saw some interesting costumes, including those actual pony ones.  WOW! Those looked amazing.

I saw your panel, it wasn't a let down at all. It made me want to see what else was on the main poniverse site and I found the whole thing rather interesting.

I think I may have passed by you quite a few times however I didn't talk. I usually didn't talk to anybody unless I was approached, in the games room or in a line with a group of people. I usually think people would be weirded out by some guy they don't know talking to them so usually I stay quiet unless I'm approached. XD

Also: Was anyone else invited to the weekly Brony Meetups that happen in Metrotown? I seriously didn't know we had those until the Meet & Greet!

Edited by The Coffee Pony

Part of why I like to hang out in the games room so much at cons is because I think it's the easiest way to get into conversation with people you don't know.  When you're regularly rotating for Smash Bros. or Mario Kart, you tend to get talking with one another.

That said though, I didn't get anybody's name or contact information so I didn't exactly make any new friends either.

Incidentally, if it helps anybody here identify me, I was the guy who brought the extra Wii remote (the gold Zelda one) and Nunchuck.  I remembered last year that they had 3 Gamecube controllers and 1 Wii remote by itself, the latter of which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy when playing Smash.  It turned out they were prepared for controllers this year anyway though.

Glad you all had fun at the con this year! We really wanted to try and up the ante, and I think we mostly managed that. Great to hear we had first-timers and other MLPF folks. The staff are having some downtime while the board and I finish stuff off (and the treasurer and I move house), then contract-y things will happen, and then.... ;)