Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who is stronger: Princess Luna or Princess Celestia?

Mywas

@@TheMarkz0ne,

Yes, but neither is Luna's. Luna's lost against every foe Celestia's lost against (Discord) with the exception of Chrysalis, but Luna wasn't even there. If anything, we should give props to Celestia for actually being there to fight 

• Brohoof 1

Luna hands down...

Why? Because Celestia couldn't do anything without the Elements of Harmony to stop her....

Which Luna needed the aid of the forces of Nightmare and a sister not willing to fight her to be able to beat her.

Luna is far more powerful. The proof is in the first two episodes. Celestia had to use the elements of harmony to stop her sister. A power that does not actually belong to her.

• Brohoof 1

Right now, I think that it's Celestia, just because she's bigger and seems more powerful. But otherwise, I think it would probably be about even. I know Celestia lost to Nightmare Moon, but I get the feeling she was holding back.

Luna is far more powerful. The proof is in the first two episodes. Celestia had to use the elements of harmony to stop her sister. A power that does not actually belong to her.

If she were far more powerful, than why did she sought the aid of the forces of Nightmare to beat her?

Which Luna needed the aid of the forces of Nightmare and a sister not willing to fight her to be able to beat her.

why would a sister, not willing to fight her own kin, trap one on the moon for 1000 years knowing that it won't cure her beloved sister?

As far as the comics go, there wasn't much fighting on behalf of Nightmare Rarity that shows an increase in power, most of it was the nightmare creatures that were by her side. It's hard to know if the nightmare effects really enhanced ones power gratuitously or if it channeled the powers one already has into something warped and evil....

If she were far more powerful, than why did she sought the aid of the forces of Nightmare to beat her?

Dreams, nightmares and the moon are her powers. She sought to conjure them up so she could use them.

• Brohoof 1

@@Treble Bolt,

Celestia can't control the Elements well, she had no clue they'd do that. Even then, sometimes leaders have to make sacrifices for the greater good. There was nothing else she could do, NMM's shot had done too much damage to try a head on fight which would create collateral damage anyway 

• Brohoof 1

@@Treble Bolt,

Celestia can't control the Elements well, she had no clue they'd do that. Even then, sometimes leaders have to make sacrifices for the greater good. There was nothing else she could do, NMM's shot had done too much damage to try a head on fight which would create collateral damage anyway 

It is never confirmed that it was the Elements themselves that did the banishing. As far as the canon-ness goes, Celestia used the Elements to banish her, by her own choice. Yes, sacrifices do need to be made, but Celestia could not defeat Luna without the Elements of Harmony.

@@Malinter,

She's also more level headed

@@Treble Bolt,

You think that if Celestia could redeem Luna she wouldn't? Clearly, the Elements aren't under Celestia's full control.

In any case, she was fighting Nightmare Moon, a separate entity from Luna and even then, Celestia wasn't willing to fight her until it was made clear she had to 

• Brohoof 1

why would a sister, not willing to fight her own kin, trap one on the moon for 1000 years knowing that it won't cure her beloved sister?

As far as the comics go, there wasn't much fighting on behalf of Nightmare Rarity that shows an increase in power, most of it was the nightmare creatures that were by her side. It's hard to know if the nightmare effects really enhanced ones power gratuitously or if it channeled the powers one already has into something warped and evil....

According to Lauren Faust, during those 1000 years, Celestia was actually trying to break the hold Nightmare Moon had over Luna but couldn't do so so it's likely she banished her as a safe means  for her to find a way to break it. Likely because the elements of harmony were now inert at her touch and she never had direct control over them anyway, she couldn't do anything about it. Lauren just couldn't get it known in the show proper in time apparently.

Considering it boosted Rarity from being a normal unicorn to being able to actually best Twilight and even Luna in combat suggests that yes it does provide a power boost.

Dreams, nightmares and the moon are her powers. She sought to conjure them up so she could use them.

Not according to the comics for they're a separate entity, and because the show never contradicted this Nightmare Rarity arc, it's canon.

Edited by Nuke87654
  • Brohoof 1

@, I am going solely by what has been presented by the show and comics (they are canon). Celestia was in full control of the Elements when she banished her sister, but after banishment they both lost control of the Elements. This is thus far canon, the S4 premire shows the backstory of the Elements, but it does not go into how much control the Tree has over the Elements vs. the Sisters when the Elements are taken from the tree. What has been presented is that the sisters had complete control of the Elements until after Luna's banishment. Headcanons are not what I go by when determining a subject such as this....

The nightmare Rarity arc does show that they are seperate entities, but they are in control of Rarity's body, and thus have harness over the powers she has, and thus can twist it into something evil....Again, this does not prove whether or not it's their powers or hers...so it's still not proven...

And Lauren Faust's headcanon that is not part of the show is not canon. Her word isn't law anymore because she is not a part of the show....

Edited by Treble Bolt

@@Treble Bolt,

So you think Celestia would have a really random OOC moment and imprison Luna when she could just free her of Nightmare Moon? 

I don't think so, but that's headcanon. I am only going by what is thus far canon. As far as what alicorn powers have been presented, Luna is the more powerful one, but as far as experiance, age, and knowledge, Celestia is the more powerful one.

I am sort of at draw between them. As many people have said, they both have their strengths and weaknesses. I haven't had a real example of their true powers against each other yet either. The fight they had in the show wasn't really accurate enough, because Luna was being powered as NMM by the Nightmare Forces, and Celestia was refusing to fight her because she was her sister. I know Celestia can do some amazing things, but Luna is equally matched in her own way. Luna cant just become NMM at the drop of the hat, as far as I know the Nightmare Forces were destroyed (not in the comics at least) but even then I'm sure she couldn't become NMM anyways because it took time for her to build up her grief until the Forces were able to get into her mind. Anyway, that's my take on it. :derp:

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

I believe that Luna has slightly more raw power than Celestia but Celestia knows how to control it as she spent so much time trainting with Starswirl. I think that when Luna is older (and no I'm not just saying that Celestia is stronger because she's older...) ...and she has MORE TIME TO PRACICE her magic *cough* *cough* this may be why she doesn't get enough screen time *cough* she may be an equal to Celestia if not, her better.

Yes,I do think that Luna has the potential to be more powerful than Celestia because she not only has this amazing raw ability to perfect but she has this darker side to her magic that I believe after "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?" she should now be able to bend to her will (she should be able to use NMM's magic as her own).

And also lots of you are saying that NMM is a separate entity to Luna but that is only in the comics (cannon B )n they called NMM part of the "Nightmare Forces" but in the show (cannon A) in "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?" Luna absorbed the TANTABUS THAT SHE CREATED!!!!!!! So basically, the show ITSELF is more of cannon than the comics aren't really a thing now, it's the TANTABUS and it's part of Princess Luna now.

THE LUNAR REPUBLIC IS AWESOME LUNA IS BEST PRINCESS!!!

Edited by Luna is Wifu

There are certainly good cases for both, but I'm inclined to say Celestia is probably the stronger.  That being said, whatever Luna lacks in power she probably makes up for in raw fury.

Also, although slightly off-topic, I would imagine that Twilight has the potential to surpass them both at some point in the future, her power is waxing whereas that of Celestia appears to be waning, as we have seen her bested on a number of occasions.  As for Cadance, well... she has her looks if nothing else.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 1