Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who is stronger: Princess Luna or Princess Celestia?

Mywas

I always figured that they were equally as powerful, and they just had different kinds of abilities. Luna has the advantage with raw power and instinctively understanding how to do new things with her powers, and Celestia is good at looking through details and understanding information, putting that information into action and gaining wisdom.

Seperate, they're powerful, but not all powerful. Together, their forces become extremely strong. :)

I dunno, Luna clearly stated that her sister is a better fighter in the Journal, but that doesn't necessarily translate of her being stronger both physically nor magic wise, as skill is more important. However, Luna spending over a thousand years imprisoned on the moon, and still being possessed by Nightmare Moon, could make her fall behind regardless, so, I'd say Celly is both stronger, and still better fighter overall  

Luna was shown to be stronger. When Luna attacked her Celestia was getting her flank handed to her. She had to use the Elements of Harmony to defeat her which Celestia can't even use anymore.

The way I see it in terms of power it goes

Nightmare Moon > Celestia > Luna 

Luna when she is Nightmare Moon can send Celestia to the moon, something that Celestia needed the elements to achieve. That being said we haven't seen enough feats out of them to really gauge their powers. 

• Brohoof 1

Luna was shown to be stronger. When Luna attacked her Celestia was getting her flank handed to her. She had to use the Elements of Harmony to defeat her which Celestia can't even use anymore.

1. Luna had to be possessed by a separate entity to boost her powers. For added proof, in the nightmare rarity arc, the nightmare forces powered a normal unicorn in Rarity to the point Nightmare Rarity was able to beat the crap out of a depowered Luna, clearly showing there is a power boost from such a possession.

2. Celestia didn't wish to fight her so it's easier for a more battle lusted Nightmare Moon to take down a reluctant sister who preferred to evade rather than fight her.

3. According to the Journal of the two sisters, Luna admitted that Celestia knew more about magic than she did as her thirst for knowledge and initiative allowed her to be on par with Starswirl the bearded with magic. The fact the journal also added that Celestia loved to fly would suggest she's a better flyer than Luna too. That whole journal seemed to go out of it's way to declare how Celestia is stronger than Luna as a fighter with those statements.

I think that this a difficult auestion to answer because there are different factors that could be in play.

Princess Celestia has more experience and wisdom, and she is more calm and analytic. Princess Luna is powerful as well and could possibly be taken over by darkness again, resulting in a surge of even more power.

Honestly, I believe that the sisters are pretty much equal when it comes to power.

Hmm, "stronger" is a bad word, I would say "powerful" (don't hit me please :D ). Anyway, as for the purpose of the topic, I would say this: I consider myself that Celestia and Luna, in terms of raw power, are more or less equal, because they were shown to fight together ans such, and also because it's pretty logic :)  However, in terms of knowledge, Celestia, without a doubt, know more about magic in the technical part, like spells and stuff, so she is more difficult to beat :ooh: After all, she had plenty of time to study while Luna was on the moon, and like someone said earlier, it was montioned she was pretty good against Starswirl. Nightmare Moon, of course, IS more powerful than Celestia because: anger, so not limiting herself in terms of power, plus, she was possessed, so someone would think there's a gain of power too (Dragon Ball style). So, there it goes: equals in term of power, but not in knowledge, which would put Celestia above Luna. But let's not forget that character also plays, like I said while talking about Nightmare Moon: Luna might be less kind than Celestia ;)

(edited)

According to Do Princesses Dream Of Magic Sheep?, it's Luna if you're talking about dreams.

If you're talking about when everypony's awake, however, then I'd wager Celestia.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 2

Celestia should probably be stronger than Luna, but it depends on how they are presented and whether or not either of the characters actually gets to do something or shine in a particular moment.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@Mywas, I don't think that we can answer this. And if I was forced to come up with an answer, I'd say that the one that is stronger is the one that the script for the episode needs to be stronger. Because the writers are lazy.

But... In the Journal of the Two Sisters (which I hate, but keeps getting in the way of everything I want to talk about in this forum), Luna says she was scared of Celestia when she talked down a dragon in one of her entries. She had fiery mane and the Royal Caps Lock Voice... I'd be impressed if I haven't seen Fluttershy talking down a dragon in the show.

Looking at everything, I've never really seen Celestia or Luna actually fight a fair fight with anyone. But since Nightmare Moon oneshots Celestia off the ceiling of the palace effortlessly, I'd say that until now Luna is stronger.

EDIT: I get the feeling that if Celestia for some reason needed to fight against Cadance she'd end turned into a crystal statue and if she went against Twilight she's probably be obliterated into nothingness. This is all, of course, based on what I've seen in the cartoon and I don't think that it takes this sort of thing too seriously. I know it's a stupid fanboy thing, but I'd love it if the cartoon could give an actual answer to this. Or if I could see the princesses in a friendly sparring session and Celestia actually showed that it's dangerous for one's health to mess with her. but this is likely never going to happen, yet wouldn't surprise me, because Celestia is used as measure of power all the time.

Edited by Metemponychosis
  • Brohoof 1

Here's a hint:  Princess Luna.

Celestia did use the Elements of Harmony to defeat Luna.  But that was only AFTER her Nightmare Moon alter-ego completely wiped the floor with Celestia.  And even then, Celestia needed the augmentations of the Elements to be able to stop her.

Not to mention, Luna is a far more interesting character than Celestia, especially since you don't see characters with Dissociative Identity Disorder very often in kids' shows.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1

Celestia could only stop her sister with the elements of harmony, thus implying that Luna is far more powerful.

That was NMM, not Luna herself.

Kind of like somepony amplified by the Venom (or Carnage) Symbiote.

• Brohoof 1

Here's a hint: Princess Luna.

Celestia did use the Elements of Harmony to defeat Luna. But that was only AFTER her Nightmare Moon alter-ego completely wiped the floor with Celestia. And even then, Celestia needed the augmentations of the Elements to be able to stop her.

Not to mention, Luna is a far more interesting character than Celestia, especially since you don't see characters with Dissociative Identity Disorder very often in kids' shows.

To add with A.V, the journal of the two sisters pretty much stated Celestia knew more magic than Luna and was even near on par with starswirl. Also, the book noted Celestia loved to fly so it even implied Celestia is also the better flyer too.

Finally, the comics pretty much state NMM is a seperate being from her and the power boost gives is pretty massive as a normal unicorn in Rarity being possessed by NMM was able to beat a depowered Luna up easily.

Edited by Nuke87654

post-28184-0-29087400-1457626672_thumb.png
post-28184-0-61542900-1457626675_thumb.png

That should pretty much answer the question. While Luna required a complete transformation (according to lore, outside her own power) in order to stop Celestia (incapacitating her for around a minute), a non- powered up Celestia was able to one- shot a non powered up Luna, taking her down hard enough that she was still out of commission several minutes later:

post-28184-0-43693300-1457630468_thumb.png

post-28184-0-54392100-1457630469_thumb.png

Of note: Luna also struggles to raise the sun, while Celestia raised both celestial bodies on a daily basis, for at least a thousand years:

post-28184-0-68525300-1457630755_thumb.png

And she admits that herself that Celestia was always the more scholarly one, working with Starswirl, while she only preferred to work on magic if it wasn't active:

post-28184-0-04794400-1457631073_thumb.png

Edited by Fractured
  • Brohoof 1

I would say that they're both equal. I think that the last time Celestia and Luna fought that Celestia was holding back, not wanting to have to fight her sister, Leading to Nightmare moon getting a shot in at her.

That should pretty much answer the question. While Luna required a complete transformation (according to lore, outside her own power) in order to stop Celestia (incapacitating her for around a minute), a non- powered up Celestia was able to one- shot a non powered up Luna, taking her down hard enough that she was still out of commission several minutes later:

Of note: Luna also struggles to raise the sun, while Celestia raised both celestial bodies on a daily basis, for at least a thousand years:

And she admits that herself that Celestia was always the more scholarly one, working with Starswirl, while she only preferred to work on magic if it wasn't active:

You must have all the brohoofs I can give.

• Brohoof 1

Likewise, as I've said before, Luna balances things out somewhat by being a much better dream-warper than Celestia (confirmed in DPDOMS) or even Discord (revealed in FF#20).

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

Likewise, as I've said before, Luna balances things out somewhat by being a much better dream-warper than Celestia (confirmed in DPDOMS) or even Discord (revealed in FF#20).

Altering dreams, sure, but that doesn't really help her in this case. Consider Fiendship is Magic #4. It was Nightmare Moon's plan to get into Celestia's head, using the power of the (self-named) Dreamweavers, whose responsibility it is to give dreams. Said Dreamweaver, however, couldn't do it.

post-28184-0-21866400-1457636052_thumb.png

Their alternative? Cause a manic panic by breaking into the dreams of every other pony in Equestria, simultaneously, causing Celestia to burn out her magical reserves saving them.

post-28184-0-91931700-1457635303_thumb.png

post-28184-0-61599000-1457635488_thumb.png

post-28184-0-49260000-1457635489_thumb.png

It took that, plus the combined powers of all of the Dreamweavers, in order to get Nightmare Moon access into Celestia's head. Even then, low on power (and being attacked by her worst fears), she still beat her back pretty easily, throwing her out of the mental plane

post-28184-0-16087200-1457636051_thumb.png

Long story short: Mentally, Celestia (low on magic power) >>>>NMM (Plus twenty on so beings whose job it is to manipulate minds, and where she probably picked up the talent from.)

Edited by Fractured
  • Brohoof 1

Altering dreams, sure, but that doesn't really help her in this case. Consider Fiendship is Magic #4. It was Nightmare Moon's plan to get into Celestia's head, using the power of the (self-named) Dreamweavers, whose responsibility it is to give dreams. Said Dreamweaver, however, couldn't do it.

Their alternative? Cause a manic panic by breaking into the dreams of every other pony in Equestria, simultaneously, causing Celestia to burn out her magical reserves saving them.

It took that, plus the combined powers of all of the Dreamweavers, in order to get Nightmare Moon access into Celestia's head. Even then, low on power (and being attacked by her worst fears), she still beat her back pretty easily, throwing her out of the mental plane

Long story short: Mentally, Celestia (low on magic power) >>>>NMM (Plus twenty on so beings whose job it is to manipulate minds, and where she probably picked up the talent from.)

Damn, never knew Celestia's mental defense is that strong. Really puts a clear seperate field and level of power between the two.

Ouch, the comics must have hurt all the New Lunar Republic guys a lot. Not even their great Nightmare Moon can torment the white horse demon in her dreams.

Too bad i think poorly of the comics even when they do the opposite from that what the tv show does.

Seriously, how is NMM able to banish anyone to the moon without the elements of harmony? Because she can, might be the very coherent and funny answer of the staff. Sorry, if i can't take all this seriously, then. :|

Edited by Swifty

Ouch, the comics must have hurt all the New Lunar Republic guys a lot. Not even their great Nightmare Moon can torment the white horse demon in her dreams.

Too bad i think poorly of the comics even when they do the opposite from that what the tv show does.

Seriously, how is NMM able to banish anyone to the moon without the elements of harmony? Because she can, might be the very coherent and funny answer of the staff. Sorry, if i can't take all this seriously, then. :|

Kind of hilarious in hindsight really. Celestia fans such as I were complaining how mistreated Celestia is in the show to which the program has given good portrayals to Luna while in the comics, many astute Luna fans are probably upset at how Celestia seems to be growing in power over Luna to the point even NMM couldn't beat Celestia with a dream attack, heavy help, and plan to weaken her.

Edited by Nuke87654
  • Brohoof 1

Kind of hilarious in hindsight really. Celestia fans such as I were complaining how mistreated Celestia is in the show to which the program has given good portrayals to Luna while in the comics, many astute Luna fans are probably upset at how Celestia seems to be growing in power over Luna to the point even NMM couldn't beat Celestia with a dream attack, heavy help, and plan to weaken her.

Just lends more evidence to my idea that, in the show, Celestia wasn't really under any immeadiate threat from NMM; she was just baiting her so she could get the elements without her noticing. It's a pretty big coincidence that the Elements happened to be in the throne room, the place where Celestia started off:

post-28184-0-82923800-1457645927_thumb.png

And the exact place where Celestia ended up after she took the shot, even falling through the exact hole(unless this is just a confusing decorative choice):

post-28184-0-38426300-1457645925_thumb.png

Fairly uninjured, as well; she actually seemed more concerned about Luna at that current point than herself.Not to mention, didn't even hesitate to go for elements, like it's what she'd been looking for all along.

post-28184-0-42781900-1457646158_thumb.png

Edited by Fractured
  • Brohoof 1