Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is the highest form of education you completed or plan to complete?

Rye_B_P

As of now, I have completed my high school career. So, I have my high school diploma.

I am now a freshman in college (Completing my last semester).

May I ask what major are you shooting for?

2005 - Graduated from High School.

2005 - 2008 - Graduated with my Bachelors in International Relations with a minor in History

2008 - 2011 - Did some law school postgrad but my law career failed to take off which is one of many reasons that I'm in the Army now.

The Future

I'm hoping to get my masters in Counterterrorism Studies or something equally relevant to national security.  I still haven't decided on whether to do my 20 years in the military or get out and go private.

I am strongly considering going into the navy (I already spoke to a enlisted military recruiter and I am also trying to schedule an appoint with an officer military recruiter. To explore my options.  Since I have a masters and I DO have some experience in my field, but everything is getting outsourced!  I was curious as to why army over the other branches of work? What made you go down that branch over the others?

2009: Graduated high school

2009: Dropped out of college

2010: Dropped out of college again

2012: Graduated EMS academy with EMT license

The Future: Fire academy? Eeyup. Go back to the EMS academy for my paramedic license? Maybe.

Many people are getting outsourced, even Medical stuff.  My mother is an RN (Registered Nurse) and even they are turning into contract work.  I can see you dropped out and tried again. You then went for the EMS academy and EMT license.  I would suggest you go ahead with the fire academy, Since firemen and firewomen are not out sourced and have excellent retirement packages.  Now when I say outsourced, I do not mean it is turned over to those in other countries. I am referring to how companies are not HIRING employees, but contracts/temporary workers, which hire you for a project that is only a year to a few months, then they lay you off. Rinse and repeat.  I been through it all, college, trade school and certs.  I am looking into the service and debating on going.

• Brohoof 1

I graduated high school in 2006, The awards I got was the I Dare You Award for my leadership skills, a lot of awards for business classes I took, and an A average for Current Events. But after that I didn't go to college.

• Brohoof 2

I completed high school and was admitted to the honors program of my university (with a scholarship no less), where i am now pursuing a Bachelors degree. I was initially a biomedical science major, but switched to zoology when i realized that being a veterinarian would actually make me miserable. I may or may not pursue a higher degree depending on what goes on after college career-wise.

As for accomplishments, the only physical award i can think of is my coach's award from high school, which i'm fairly sure i received because the coach appreciated how hard i tried to do something i was grossly ill-equipped for. I am however proud of my consistent honors status throughout my education, as well as my SAT score of 2030 :)

• Brohoof 1

I am strongly considering going into the navy (I already spoke to a enlisted military recruiter and I am also trying to schedule an appoint with an officer military recruiter. To explore my options.  Since I have a masters and I DO have some experience in my field, but everything is getting outsourced!  I was curious as to why army over the other branches of work? What made you go down that branch over the others?

Originally, when I walked into the recruiter's office to talk about joining the military, I knew that I wanted to do something special operations related.  That was the only thing I could see myself doing.  So, I made my choice based on the various units available to each branch.  I ruled out the Navy because of all the publicity surrounding the SEALs at the time (bin Laden had just been taken out) and my impression of their community was that they were pumping out a lot of books and there was a lot of chest-beating bravado going 'round.  I decided against the Marines for the same reason; I didn't particularly want to associate with the kind of people who are drawn to the Corps, though I found out later that people tend to mellow out a lot after they pin on a rank or two and have had their taste of how much BS they can be subject to.

That left me comparing the Air Force and the Army, and I was especially impressed with the mission set of the Special Forces (Green Berets), so in the end that my basis for choosing.  There are other benefits too, on the enlisted side at least; only the Army lets you have a degree of control over your destiny in that they allow you to choose your job.  Unfortunately, training with the SF guys forced me to learn a few things about myself.  It was a bitter pill to swallow when I didn't improve fast enough to meet their standards so when the rest of my buddies shipped off to Ft. Bragg for Selection, I had to go back to my unit.  Anyway, that's enough of my sob story right now.  The point is, people will tell you that an enlisted man with college education is always going to be underutilized and to a degree, they're right.  The reason I chose to enlist had everything to do with the number of opportunities for SF guys on the enlisted side vs. the officers.

So, unless you have a very specific plan in mind for yourself, I would suggest applying to be an officer because your overall quality of life will be miles above that of most of the people you command.  You will also be above most of the day-to-day silliness that goes on in a garrison environment but in turn you will have your own, officer-only, absurdities that you will have to deal with, one of which being that your educational background may or may not have any relevance to what you will do as an officer.  Doctors, JAG lawyers and Chaplains will all be doing things relevant to their education.  Engineering officers, to use one example, are unlikely to be utilizing their fancy degrees in Engineering, assuming that is what they even have.  You can be assigned to literally any branch of the Army, from Logistics to Intelligence to Infantry or Armor, it does not matter.  That is simultaneously one of its greatest strengths and greatest weaknesses.

tl;dr: I chose the Army because I had a specific goal in mind that required me to be in the Army.  In terms of quality of life and being treated like an adult, actual results may vary but the Navy and the Air Force are always good bets.

• Brohoof 2

May I ask what major are you shooting for?

Many people are getting outsourced, even Medical stuff.  My mother is an RN (Registered Nurse) and even they are turning into contract work.  I can see you dropped out and tried again. You then went for the EMS academy and EMT license.  I would suggest you go ahead with the fire academy, Since firemen and firewomen are not out sourced and have excellent retirement packages.  Now when I say outsourced, I do not mean it is turned over to those in other countries. I am referring to how companies are not HIRING employees, but contracts/temporary workers, which hire you for a project that is only a year to a few months, then they lay you off. Rinse and repeat.  I been through it all, college, trade school and certs.  I am looking into the service and debating on going.

I am majoring in Zoology. I am taking a Veterinary Technician program.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Originally, when I walked into the recruiter's office to talk about joining the military, I knew that I wanted to do something special operations related.  That was the only thing I could see myself doing.  So, I made my choice based on the various units available to each branch.  I ruled out the Navy because of all the publicity surrounding the SEALs at the time (bin Laden had just been taken out) and my impression of their community was that they were pumping out a lot of books and there was a lot of chest-beating bravado going 'round.  I decided against the Marines for the same reason; I didn't particularly want to associate with the kind of people who are drawn to the Corps, though I found out later that people tend to mellow out a lot after they pin on a rank or two and have had their taste of how much BS they can be subject to.

That left me comparing the Air Force and the Army, and I was especially impressed with the mission set of the Special Forces (Green Berets), so in the end that my basis for choosing.  There are other benefits too, on the enlisted side at least; only the Army lets you have a degree of control over your destiny in that they allow you to choose your job.  Unfortunately, training with the SF guys forced me to learn a few things about myself.  It was a bitter pill to swallow when I didn't improve fast enough to meet their standards so when the rest of my buddies shipped off to Ft. Bragg for Selection, I had to go back to my unit.  Anyway, that's enough of my sob story right now.  The point is, people will tell you that an enlisted man with college education is always going to be underutilized and to a degree, they're right.  The reason I chose to enlist had everything to do with the number of opportunities for SF guys on the enlisted side vs. the officers.

So, unless you have a very specific plan in mind for yourself, I would suggest applying to be an officer because your overall quality of life will be miles above that of most of the people you command.  You will also be above most of the day-to-day silliness that goes on in a garrison environment but in turn you will have your own, officer-only, absurdities that you will have to deal with, one of which being that your educational background may or may not have any relevance to what you will do as an officer.  Doctors, JAG lawyers and Chaplains will all be doing things relevant to their education.  Engineering officers, to use one example, are unlikely to be utilizing their fancy degrees in Engineering, assuming that is what they even have.  You can be assigned to literally any branch of the Army, from Logistics to Intelligence to Infantry or Armor, it does not matter.  That is simultaneously one of its greatest strengths and greatest weaknesses.

tl;dr: I chose the Army because I had a specific goal in mind that required me to be in the Army.  In terms of quality of life and being treated like an adult, actual results may vary but the Navy and the Air Force are always good bets.

I am currently 27 and will be 28 on June 30th.  So My research, has told me that, The Marines, has the Cut off age at  28.  The Air-force and Coast Guard has a cut off age limit of 27.  For Navy it is 34 and Army is 35 (Did they raise it to 42?  I am not sure.) As far as doing active duty military full time goes.  I know the reserves are have high age limits, but they are only part time.    So those factors is what made me look at Army and Navy.  Navy so far has more jobs I be interested in, but I want to see how high I score on ASVAB test, before I make a decision.  

I am exploring my options at this time, it is just frustrating that there is no job security in the private sector, despite what I have learned and what credentials I have earned.  I am not afraid to change careers, if it means job security, which is why I got an MBA.  So I can be flexible.

Edited by Rye_B_P
  • Brohoof 1

I am currently 27 and will be 28 on June 30th.  So My research, has told me that, The Marines, has the Cut off age at  28.  The Air-force and Coast Guard has a cut off age limit of 27.  For Navy it is 34 and Army is 35 (Did they raise it to 42?  I am not sure.) As far as doing active duty military full time goes.  I know the reserves are have high age limits, but they are only part time.    So those factors is what made me look at Army and Navy.  Navy so far has more jobs I be interested in, but I want to see how high I score on ASVAB test, before I make a decision.  

I am exploring my options at this time, it is just frustrating that there is not job security in the private sector, despite what I have learned and what credentials I have earned.  I am not afraid to change careers, if it means job security, which is why I got an MBA.  So I can be flexible.

Sounds fair to me.  Have you considered being self-employed?  Might be something to look into as well.

Sounds fair to me.  Have you considered being self-employed?  Might be something to look into as well.

Yes I have, it takes some money to get started and rake in customers, but I think it is doable.  From my experience, however It is hard to get customers to PAY up front or to pay at all. Again looking at my options.  Right now, contract work that is the only  thing hiring at this time, for a month to a week is ok, to rake some money.  But I can't see doing short term contract work though out my whole life.  So I am looking at the military for a better career path.  (I have to pay $500 per month in student loans, so that's my biggest expense, that makes its hard to start a business and or move out.  I refuse to take out business loans in order to start, since I am looking to pay down my debt and not increase it.

• Brohoof 2

School:

2010 - Graduated High School (High School Diploma)

2014 - Graduated Community College (Associates Degree in Network Administration)

Certifications:

- CompTIA A+

- Network Security

- Cisco (took it 3 times, b/c it was hard as hell)

• Brohoof 3

I went to college for a semester, but needed a break from my 14 previous years of school.

I would actually like to go back to college to become either an actor, animator, or teacher. :)

• Brohoof 3

I graduated boarding school for high school, graduated a four year college, and I'll be going through a dog training academy for certification in that. After that I'm pretty sure I'm done with school and I'll be working on building my career.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't recall if I've posted in this topic yet... well I'll post again just in case.

I dropped out of high school in 11th grade but technically I didn't even have enough credits to pass 9th. There's this stupid thing where they refuse to hold you back no matter how bad your grades are so you move forward even if you aren't deserving of it. Bleh.

Got my GED back in 2008. I tried to go to college immediately afterward but the thought of going to more school didn't work so well for me so I ended up dropping out in my second quarter.

Five years later I'm looking to get into a technical college in Accounting. Starting out with a certificate of completion but if I can I'll try to work my way up to a four-year degree. If I have to I'll just get the certification, get a job so I can save up money, then go back to school at a later date.

I just don't want to be working minimum wage my entire life and I want to have the skill set (and possibly experience) to make me something of a rarity in the job market. Being a part of the "dime a dozen" demographic sucks donkey balls. I refuse to stay here my entire life where I'm continuously jobless and can't hold a job for longer than a year because companies need to save money by laying off anyone who hasn't been there for months or years already.

Plus not having any real skills or experience to put on a resume makes it very hard to find a job. It's very difficult for me to bullshit things onto my resume for no-name jobs like fast food. I need legit skill sets that I can brag about (if necessary) where I can demonstrate my competency before getting the job as opposed to requiring employment to prove any of it at all.

Edited by Discordian
  • Brohoof 3

I don't recall if I've posted in this topic yet... well I'll post again just in case.

I dropped out of high school in 11th grade but technically I didn't even have enough credits to pass 9th. There's this stupid thing where they refuse to hold you back no matter how bad your grades are so you move forward even if you aren't deserving of it. Bleh.

Gotta love the American school system, with brilliant ideas such as passing without enough credits, the "No Child Left Behind" Act, and other monumental successes... /s

• Brohoof 3

Well I tried going to three different public schools in 9th grade and failed at all three and so I ended up being homeschooled (which everything is done on the internet)and failed at that too cause I was lazy and depressed so I never wanted to do my work I finally got act together and did well in 10th grade thinking I'll be moving to 11th WHEN BAM the system didn't keep any record of any of my credits from the last two years and made me go back to 10 grade which once again showed no record of any classes I had done... SO I gave up cause with them saying I only had 6 credits (when I had more then that) and was 18 I didn't wanna keep going to HS after that.

I want to get my GED and move on to college so hopefully that will happen soon.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'm in high school right now, so I've yet to do my GCSEs.

I plan on leaving high school with A* to B grades, and then going onto college to study Psychology, Graphics, Biology and History.

Then I don't know. I might go on to university to earn a doctorate in Psychology, or try and get a career in graphic design or concept art.

Edited by Dr. Frasier Crane
  • Brohoof 1

Well I am working on my BoS (Bachelor of Science) and University level Calculus. The reason i am doing so much at such an age is because I was given the opportunity to complete 1 year of University level Calculus in Grade 12. After I get my degree in BaS and Calculus, I plan on taking a University course on Nuclear Engineering. 

• Brohoof 2

• 10 months later...

Completing my AS levels is as far as I went, and that's fine with me. I'd much rather learn and be on my own... university and the like wouldn't suit me too well. =/

• Brohoof 1

I want to finish my Master's degree in Neuroscience at one of the universities here in Holland. It'll take a while though but I'm definitely gonna finish within 5-6 years, since I'm doing a dual major at the moment it'll take a little longer.

• Brohoof 2

Well at the moment I've only "graduated" primary school, back in 2012.

I'll graduate junior high school at the end of 2016.

And then I'll graduate senior high school near the end of 2018.

After high school, depending on how I go, I'm planning on achieving a Bachelor of Design (Visual Communication) at Western Sydney University.

Edited by Coloris
  • Brohoof 1