Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Do you have any headcanons/theories?

Odyssey

Nop, it has been stated on numerous occasions that the comics have their own continuity, a pretty common practice with show comics.

This is not a fanmade comic as some seem to think it is: This is a fully licensed comic book from a major Comic publisher done in cooperation with Hasbro.

The comic is set within show continuity, and is done in cooperation with the show staff. This is as close to the show as it gets without having it animated. I personally say yes, but it is really up to the individual to decide.

http://andypriceart.deviantart.com/journal/Important-News-on-the-MLP-Comic-331014657

cess-celestia_animated_image-macro_princ

Then it is, by definition, not canon.

img-2605159-1-what%20it%20means.jpg

And you conveniently disregard everything else in the quote.  The fact that it is made in conjunction with the show and placed in the show's continuity.  Which does make it canon.

That was Andy Price's personal opinion.  He even admits to not be the ultimate authority on the matter.

And you conveniently disregard everything else in the quote. The fact that it is made in conjunction with the show and placed in the show's continuity. Which does make it canon.

No, it makes it very true to the show's spirit. In order for something to be canon it must be specifically stated to be so by the owner of the property in question (in this case hasbro), which is highly unlikely to happen.

The comics were made in conjunction with the show, thus are canon.

I don't see why they would be canon, the show and the comics are 2 different things.

Only what happens in the show is canon to the show.

• Brohoof 2

No, it makes it very true to the show's spirit. In order for something to be canon it must be specifically stated to be so by the owner of the property in question (in this case hasbro), which is highly unlikely to happen.

You're really reaching.  They work in conjunction with the show to prevent continuity errors.  That is the only reason to work in conjunction with the show.  You'll notice the card game and books don't do that.  They present canon material to.  According to the cards, Octavia and Vinyl are roommates.  Now doubting that is reasonable because the guys making the cards are doing their own thing.  Andy Price has stated that they talk and work with the show staff regarding the creation of the comics.  Doubting their canon is pretty silly.

I don't see why they would be canon, the show and the comics are 2 different things.

Only what happens in the show is canon to the show.

Standard expanded universe rules: it is canon, but the original source material trumps all other material.

Unless McCarthy or someone of equivalent authority says otherwise, this is the most logical thing to assume.  Especially when those who do work on the comics say that they are working in conjunction with the show staff.

Doubting their canon is pretty silly.

Okay, I'll spell it out to you:

If Lauren Faust and the entire creative teams of show and comics, their extended families and pets all came out and proclaimed that they considered the comics to be canon, it still wouldn't mean jack as long as hasbro didn't confirm it.

I'm not saying this because I hate the comics (I don't) or because I don't think they wouldn't fit into the show (they would), but because this is how canon works. Something is either canon or it isn't.

"They are cannon only if you want them to be." is the official stance. 

Yeah, eventually, that's the best solution for everyone, since we don't have any clue about that. :)

• Brohoof 1

Well it's not really mine because a friend from a meet-up group told it to me, so it's actually his! ^^

But he said that he thinks Princess Celestia knows something big is about to happen in Equestria, like something absolutely huge. To prepare for this, she needed to not only reform Discord to have his chaos powers on their side, but Twilight Sparkle was also part of her plan, to gain a new Alicorn. Something is about to go down in Equestria, and Celesita is preparing for the fight of her life.

And Twilight Sparkle is part of it! *squee*

It gives me goosebumps every time I hear or think of it. ^^

• Brohoof 1

The comics aren't canon...

I say that anything that is produced and officially licensed by a company falls under the canon of whatever show/movie it is based on.

Also unpopular opinion here: I like the comics more than the actual show.

My theory is that Chrysalis was actually the ruler of Equestria before the Discordian era. Many years ago- the Crystal Empire was ruled by her and she raised her sisters. However-being in this powerful position gave her certain chances. Discord sees the harmony and decided to take advantage. He snuck within her harmonious land and discorded her. Thats why she acted selfish for love in her kingdom and her subjects-loyal and blind, followed her, distorting them. Its been said the real intentions and her love was in the Crystal Heart-but no one is sure. Then again-just add tidbits of the love potion myth and it makes some sense.

Sombra:He decided to save his kingdom (whatever was left) and rebuilt it in the arctic circle to rid of the Discordian reign around them. He was a great ruler-an alchemist and spellcaster better than the world has seen until he uncovers the dark magic from building. That magic twisted his heart-creating a never ending nightmare. He tried making his kingdom last-but..it didn't work. He grew worse.

Royal Sisters: My headcannon is that its kind of like the Greek mythology of how the gods became to be (Zeus, Hades, Poisiden.) However-After the events, Celestia became like Zeus, Luna like Poisiden and another like Hades) The only reason we don't see the third is because she isn't relevant.

Cutie marks mean a ton more than meets the eye.

Cadence:Her crystal parents were killed for leaving (abandonment) However...they left her near an earth pony village thus her cutie mark story. This means...Cadence is older.

• Brohoof 1

One of my headcanons states that Discord used to be in love with Celestia, but after something happened between the two of them, maybe Celestia treated him like a monster or Discord moved to fast or both, Discord snapped. He became the creature of chaos we all used to know and love to hate.

But then, Discord met Fluttershy. To this day, I believe that, what started as simply friendship, at least for Discord, has sprouted into something more. Discord is still fighting inside himself whether he should do something with is feelings or not. He doesn't want to ruin his friendship with Fluttershy. Whether or not Fluttershy returns his feelings is up to your headcanon.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
(edited)

MLP is the future of horses affected after a worldwide nuclear disaster eventually ending all humans. Megan, Danny, and Molly were the very last humans to roam earth and taught G1 ponies the ways of humans so that's when Tales (G1.5) came to be, G2 was in the same time period as G1 but in another part of the world, G4 Saddle Arabia. G3 lost some of their humanlike capabilities after humans had been gone so long, created the continent of Ponyland which where America is, founded Equestria and other nations. Celestia and Luna did not find Equestria themselves. They had only been ruling Equestria how every many something years after it was founded for 3 to 4 thousand years now. Right before G3.5, Discord attacked for the first time ever and mutated all the ponies to look like the way they did in this generation. That's why the sky is colored pink. It's dust, debris, and other chemicals along with chaos (notice how the sky was pink when Discord brought chaos to Ponyville in "Return of Harmony"). After 100,000 years or something right before G4, Discord had ruled Equestria since then until Celestia and Luna came to the rescue and gained their new power! Now to the well loved G4! The ponies are so advanced in socializing, diversity, sciences, magic, politics, technology, etc. The rate of male ponies have skyrocketed! In EQG, Twilight did not go to another universe like Celestia said. She actually went millions of years into the future when ponies evolved into their own species of humans.That's why they have rainbow-colored hair and odd pigmented skin.

Edited by RainbowPastel
  • Brohoof 1

-The world was created by a mixture of harmony and chaos magic.

-The tree of harmony and it's elements, and Discord were two sides of the same coin and are equal in power.

-Alicorns don't age past the prime stage of their lives.

-Sombra was a Quasi-Alicorn, or at the process of becoming one through dark magics.

-Cutie marks are discovered only when their owners actually realize what their's mean.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Mods, if this is in the wrong place, I'm very sorry. I don't really know where this topic belongs.

As a huge Rarity fan, I have a lot of headcanons and theories about her. Please bear with me. 

1. The birthdays on the show appear in the order of the Mane Six youngest to oldest. Pinkie Pie is the youngest following Rainbow Dash then Twilight. None of the other Mane Six are known. (This is not counting Spike, he is obviously the youngest.)

2. Unicorn Magic cannot be forgotten. Rarity was able to control the weather in Magical Mystery Cure, and that ability is still with her. The reason why it rained in Rarity takes Manehattan when she was sad was because she still have that ability to control the weather.

3. Rarity is MtF Transsexual. She transitioned at a young age. She speaks in the voice she speaks in because it helps her pass. When she goes to the spa, she gets her horn filed so that it remains the size of an average female unicorn. She also wears false eyelashes so that she appears more feminine. 

4. Pinkie Pie was born a pegasus, but her parents got her wings removed so she could be like the rest of her family, and other ponies wouldn't think differently.

5. Fluttershy ran away. This most likely happened, but it was not stated, so it would still be considered a headcanon. After she fell to the ground, she did not return to Cloudsdale. Instead she remained there and lived with the animals.

6. Rarity developed a fear of heights after almost falling to her death multiple times. She hides her fears, but she gets very uncomfortable in high places. 

7. Rarity is more athletic than she lets on. Think about it, she raced with her sister against other ponies. She had no practice, she did amazing on obstacles, she covered was covered in mud (Which reduces traction) and she still got second place. She almost got first. That is very impressive. 

8. Rarity was supposed to be a princess, and Twilight was supposed to be an astronomer. Twilight's cutie mark is stars, and Rarity's are three gems that are similar to the gem that Princess Celestia wears around her neck. Also, that necklace Princess Celestia wears is very similar to the Element of Generosity. (This is probably bias because Rarity is my favorite pony.)

9. The MLP writers spied on me to write Spike. That's not a headcanon nor theory, but seriously. I see a lot of myself in Spike. From how we act, our friends, our personalities, how we like helping others, how others seem to use us, how we can sometimes doubt ourselves when we fail, I swear Spike is a cartoon version of me. 

Those are some of my headcanons and theories. What are yours? I know you won't agree with a lot of them, but that doesn't matter. What are your headcanons?

In my personal headcanon, Derpy is the element of innocence.
She represents the childlike purity and wonderment that can be found somewhere inside of us all.
As a small filly, she was often heavily bullied, tormented, and ostracized by other ponies because of her clumsy nature and skewed eyes, and ended up spending most of her time, playing with bubbles. They were silent companions that filled her with joy, and never once judged her.
Her cutie mark represents her unconditional love for everypony, and her innate desire to help and bring happiness to those who are similarly emotionally wounded as she is.

Edited by Derp My Life

Headcanon 1 - Applejack

Applejack's parents passed away during a trip to meet family. They left and went via the western Everfree path. AJ's father was pulling the wagon and they all saw a pack of Timberwolves. That is common fannon for this, but in my head it plays out differently. The Timberwolves were not hunting the Apples, they were young and were playing. Mr. Apple panicked and a wheel catches a slope wrong and the cart shifts down the slope. Mrs. Apple gets the kids off the cart and tries to help her husband ... but it's too late. The cart slides with AJ's dad and crashes. Their mother was able to grab the ledge but can't hold on or pull herself up. A young AJ and Macintosh are sitting there trying to pull their mom up from the edge of the embankment... and they all know it's useless and Mom's weight threatens to pull down her two children.

Applejack's mother says one last thing to her daughter, "Honey, you can let go. If you let go ... you'll be safe ... you'll be ok."

Applejack and Big Mac can't hold on so they let go. AJ grows to hate the Timberwolves. Big Mac pushes himself to be strong.

Years later Applejack finds herself using those same words to reassure a new visitor to Ponyville.

• Brohoof 5

Cutie marks: Cutie marks are not set in stone and can change if enough of a shift of personality or external magical influence takes place. This is evidenced both with cutie pox and the Flutterbat episode.

Cutie marks also have an addictive quality and can cause withdrawl symtoms if the pony is unable to fulfil their cutie marks focus. this is evidenced by Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy. When they could not use their gifts of throwing parties and befriending animals rapid psychosis took place along with the growing compulsion to do the thing they could not do. Further evidence of the addictive properties of the cutie mark is obvious positive reinforcement when they do their task. Bulk Biceps works out to insane levels because if he didnt he would crash and have a psychotic break, that is unless he had enough of a psychological shift that his cutie mark changed.

Cutie Marks then seem to be a carrot and stick behavioral conditioning system that was put in place to enforce productivity in pony society. It is even instilled that being without one is something to be looked down upon.

Edited by Buck Testa

In terms of head-canons, I have only a couple and admittedly they've been proven wrong thanks to The Journal of the Two Sisters. Still, head-canons are just fun ways of exploring worlds :lol:

1. The princesses of Equestria were not born Alicorns; Alicorn ascension is the Equestrian version of enlightenment. By achieving a comprehensive knowledge of a particular aspect of the world (especially one typically performed by groups of normal ponies), their dharma (Hindu term for spiritual duty) becomes performing tasks that "keep the world spinning," so to speak. Due to this eternal duty, Alicorns are made immortal.

2. This one ties into head-canon 1: The princesses ascended to an Alicorn state by having a talent for raising the sun and the moon without the need of the entire unicorn tribe. Similarly to the way in which Twilight gained knowledge of magic beyond that of the greatest unicorn magician, Starswirl the bearded (that difference being the power of friendship (also, I know she was named princess of friendship in the season 4 finale, so that aspect of this head-canon is in development as twilight's story continues)). My best explanation for Cadence is Cadence = cupid, and is a replacement to Crysalis (and subsequent changelings) who is an example of what happens when the power of love is abused for personal gain.