Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

On "What are you ... ?" topics

Killian Jones

So, I have been thinking. About topics like What are you listening to?. These topics feel very spammy. It feels very easy to just go googling a YouTube link to whatever you are listening to and simply dumping it in there. It feels that topics like that and similar often don't really have much discussion and is more like post farming.

I'm wondering, perhaps topics like these should go to Cloudsdale Colosseum. And perhaps not belong in Everfree forest. Not gaining actual posts would discourage people from simply spamming the topic.

What does everypony think, this is up for discussion.

• Brohoof 1

So, I have been thinking. About topics like What are you listening to?. These topics feel very spammy. It feels very easy to just go googling a YouTube link to whatever you are listening to and simply dumping it in there. It feels that topics like that and similar often don't really have much discussion and is more like post farming.

I'm wondering, perhaps topics like these should go to Cloudsdale Colosseum. And perhaps not belong in Everfree forest. Not gaining actual posts would discourage people from simply spamming the topic.

What does everypony think, this is up for discussion.

I completely agree, but its up to the MLP forums team. :)

I don't think they are always spammy. I like the "what are you listening to" thread because it allows us to share what music we're listening to. The only posts in the thread I ever really find spammy is when someone posts something along the lines of "I'm listening to [insert non-music action]".

Though I think the "what are you doing at this very moment" thread is not really necessary considering we a status update bar at the top of our pages.

I feel it's okay since post count isn't visible and has been greatly de-emphasized. When I've browsed through the music topic, I've seen discussions about music. I don't feel its post spamming, but legitimate posting of the music they're listening or have listened to.

Edited by Doctor XFizzella

Personally, I had the same thought of moving it to Cloudsdale, as there IS a game that's similar to it which is rating the song above you. I wish this wouldn't be necessary, and that people could simply explain why they like the song they're listening to, or what they feel about it, or SOME WORDS rather than just lazily and spammily posting a link. But as this appears to be the trend, I am in full agreement that it belongs in Cloudsdale. I'm not sure what my other fellow moderators would say though.

I think that most "What are you" threads should go there as well as people don't typically explain things in depth or detail. That and there's already a few "What are you" (or very similar) threads in Cloudsdale. So splitting them between Everfree and Cloudsdale seems inconsistent and confusing.

Edited by Arylett Dawnsborough

Should I add a "SPAM" prefix to Cloudsdale Colosseum?

Wouldn't that give incentive to post COMPLETELY irrelivant posts to the topics with the prefix? Like if I go to the What Are You Listening To thread and see someone post a picture of something random and leave with no video to contribute?

• Brohoof 1

Wouldn't that give incentive to post COMPLETELY irrelivant posts to the topics with the prefix? Like if I go to the What Are You Listening To thread and see someone post a picture of something random and leave with no video to contribute?

How about sentencing things to Cloudsdale Colosseum and leaving them prefix-less? At the moment, when a thread is sentenced, it is automatically marked as a forum game in the process.

• Brohoof 3