Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why did Lauren Faust stop working so much on the show?

shootingscuddy

Yes, actually she wanted the show to have another direction than what we have now. She wanted it to be more adventure like. Kind of like the pilots. But a higher up was not okay with that, so she stepped back as she has professionalism.

Imo it was good she stepped back, the show is good how it is right now and I am not sure I could handle adventure like ponies 24/7

• Brohoof 9

Yes, actually she wanted the show to have another direction than what we have now. She wanted it to be more adventure like. Kind of like the pilots. But a higher up was not okay with that, so she stepped back as she has professionalism.

Imo it was good she stepped back, the show is good how it is right now and I am not sure I could handle adventure like ponies 24/7

If that's the reason then FUCK. I've always dreamed about adventure ponies

• Brohoof 1

If that's the reason then FUCK. I've always dreamed about adventure ponies

Let me find the picture!

There!

Posted Image

Edited by Neikos el Presidente
  • Brohoof 8

I thought it was because she was too busy to continue working on the show. People like her who create shows like these probably have a vast schedule, and I'm sure at the time she was conceptualizing other programs. So she simply couldn't keep up with the pace. Also, her entry doesn't really seem to say anything about her leaving the show because she couldn't do more adventure-y scripts. The impression I get from it is that she simply does not have the time.

"Various circumstances with the production made it impossible for me to keep up the creative involvement and control I had at the start of the series."

Sounds to me like she had a different with someone.

Well, people have been doing well with or without Faust, which is why she decided to step back in order to increase efficiency. Besides, I agree with the others, the show can't always be about adventure. I am glad that the show has some drama, some hilarity, that sort of thing.

It doesn't say its because she couldn't do the adventures themes she wanted...

That rumor has been floating around the internet for a great deal of time, and has been debunked repeatedly. From what I understand, the show turned out approximately how she intended it to; a slice-of-life series with occasional adventures. Some episode pitches were shot down, but that's to be expected. Hasbro played no part in this. In truth, she retired from the team because of how difficult it had been to supervise the episode production.

She lives in Los Angeles, while the main voice acting and animation studios reside in Canada. She was managing most of the episode direction via phone, which, no-doubt, isn't the most efficient system. As the show expanded, her total control over it diminished, so she did what she felt necessary and stepped down.

While the situation could have been handled differently, keep in mind, her inability to keep up with production wasn't the only aspect that contributed to her decision. Her schedule is vast. MLP:FiM wasn't the only project she was involved in at the time, and juggling it alongside other projects must have been stressful. She didn't quit due to conflicting views, monitoring MLP simply became too difficult.

• Brohoof 6

• 2 weeks later...

Lauren is brilliant imo and almost everything she has been involved in has been awesome, so if she thinks it's best that she step down and take a less major role in production I'm inclined to trust her judgement, I don't really know what production is like on FiM and I don't think I'm qualified to judge the decision.

Yes, actually she wanted the show to have another direction than what we have now. She wanted it to be more adventure like. Kind of like the pilots. But a higher up was not okay with that, so she stepped back as she has professionalism. Imo it was good she stepped back, the show is good how it is right now and I am not sure I could handle adventure like ponies 24/7

Ep7, Ep23 (Cutie Mark Chronicles), and "Dog and Pony Show" were two of my favorite episodes. I don't know if it's because Faust was more involved, or if it's just because it was new at the time, but the first part of S1 was, and still is, my favorite. The first of S2 is too... Typically cartoon, is the best way I can think of putting it. Not quiet as original as the show I love normally is. But it's getting better with these newer episodes, these are more original, esp. this last one!

So hopefully they won't get too unoriginal without her :P

Let me find the picture! There! Posted Image

"Various circumstances with the production made it impossible for me to keep up the creative involvement and control I had at the start of the series." Sounds to me like she had a different with someone.

What made the show so great was her creative freedom... If the execs cut that off again, then I'm afraid we're heading for the drain. Recent episodes kinda disprove that, but I'm really nervous about Season 3...

It seems the execs trusted Faust a lot ("what can you do with this?"), so hopefully they won't abandon ship and stop it during Season 3, with her gone and the show reaching the 65-episode mark.

That rumor has been floating around the internet for a great deal of time, and has been debunked repeatedly. From what I understand, the show turned out approximately how she intended it to; a slice-of-life series with occasional adventures. Some episode pitches were shot down, but that's to be expected. Hasbro played no part in this. In truth, she retired from the team because of how difficult it had been to supervise the episode production. She lives in Los Angeles, while the main voice acting and animation studios reside in Canada. She was managing most of the episode direction via phone, which, no-doubt, isn't the most efficient system. As the show expanded, her total control over it diminished, so she did what she felt necessary and stepped down. While the situation could have been handled differently, keep in mind, her inability to keep up with production wasn't the only aspect that contributed to her decision. Her schedule is vast. MLP:FiM wasn't the only project she was involved in at the time, and juggling it alongside other projects must have been stressful. She didn't quit due to conflicting views, monitoring MLP simply became too difficult.

Thank you very much for posting this! It makes me feel much more hopeful about the show's future.

She went to Hasbro trying to start her own show Galaxy Girls, when they convinced her to work on MLP. She loves the show, but still dreams of getting her own projects published. Now she is working on that DC heroines show. I can't remember the name.

Posted Image

I think it's something like Super Best Friends Forever.

• Brohoof 1

I've honestly been okay with how the show has been since she left. Faust got it started but since she left the show has delved so much deeper into the personalities of the ponies and the episodes just have a different feel to them than the first season. I truly and honestly believe season 2 is better than season 1 in every way (except the fact that it has less songs though I love the songs from season 2 more than season 1 for the most part)

• Brohoof 1

Faust created the show, but think of your 3 favourite episodes. Those were written by someone else completely, the only episodes Faust helped write was the first two episodes of season 1 (usually the least preferred of all)

~

(edited)

Faust created the show, but think of your 3 favourite episodes. Those were written by someone else completely, the only episodes Faust helped write was the first two episodes of season 1 (usually the least preferred of all)

~

I had the impression she wrote the first two episodes because they were the pilots, so the dialogue and characterizations could be a little stiff (e.g., Twilight's final speech/lecture to Nightmare Moon)---not that this is really the issue at hand. I think it's pretty clear to us why Faust was the writer out of the gate.

She was pretty closely involved, though. Other people might have done the writing, but it had to clear Lauren's desk first.

Edited by Thereisnospoon303
  • Brohoof 1

That rumor has been floating around the internet for a great deal of time, and has been debunked repeatedly. From what I understand, the show turned out approximately how she intended it to; a slice-of-life series with occasional adventures. Some episode pitches were shot down, but that's to be expected. Hasbro played no part in this. In truth, she retired from the team because of how difficult it had been to supervise the episode production. She lives in Los Angeles, while the main voice acting and animation studios reside in Canada. She was managing most of the episode direction via phone, which, no-doubt, isn't the most efficient system. As the show expanded, her total control over it diminished, so she did what she felt necessary and stepped down. While the situation could have been handled differently, keep in mind, her inability to keep up with production wasn't the only aspect that contributed to her decision. Her schedule is vast. MLP:FiM wasn't the only project she was involved in at the time, and juggling it alongside other projects must have been stressful. She didn't quit due to conflicting views, monitoring MLP simply became too difficult.

That makes me very hopeful for the season and or possible seasons to come. Although the idea of her getting screwed over by higher ends sucks, the show has not seemed to suffer much from it. And if the season 2 finale is as epic as it looks, that means Lauren will be going out with a bang. Mostly her name, but you know she was part of season 2 so I still say it's her work.

To be honest, so far I feel that Season 2 has been the stronger season. So Lauren's non-involvement may have been for the best, from my point of view.

Indeed it may have been, the series just keeps getting better with each episode imo. :)