Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Do you still play video games from your childhood?

Odyssey

I didn't play video games much when I was little. Still not really into them. We had an Atari 7800 though, I don't remember which games but I played it sometimes with m y brother.

Back on an edit:

I just looked it up. I did like Asteroids!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

Oh yes - all the Command and Conquer games, Black and White, Stronghold... quite often I'll pick up* an older game I remember for  a weekend of gaming nostalgia (or a month as it turned out to be with The Battle for Middle Earth and Tiberian Sun) in lieu of playing anything newer.

*(sometimes buying digitally, sometimes literally from the shelf of CD games I have)

4 hours ago, Literatel said:

All of my childhood computer games were released between the years 1998-2005, meaning that most of them (with the exception of one, which I still play very often) won't work on today's computers. :(

There's usually a way to make it work; I'm no technical wizard, but I've managed to get most of my older games running at one point or another. Admittedly Windows 10 has been a bit more troublesome in that regard (and Red Alert 2 still won't work) but old game forums are surprisingly good sources for fixes and patches.

2 minutes ago, Once In A Blue Moon said:

There's usually a way to make it work; I'm no technical wizard, but I've managed to get most of my older games running at one point or another. Admittedly Windows 10 has been a bit more troublesome in that regard (and Red Alert 2 still won't work) but old game forums are surprisingly good sources for fixes and patches.

It's kind of hard to make the buggiest game in history- one that was never patched, only works on certain computers, and in which most of its content causes the game to crash... sometimes the game even struggled to load -work on current gen laptops. :P

7 minutes ago, Literatel said:

It's kind of hard to make the buggiest game in history- one that was never patched, only works on certain computers, and in which most of its content causes the game to crash... sometimes the game even struggled to load -work on current gen laptops. :P

I guess if it never worked properly then yes, that would probably be a bit challenging to run on a modern computer.

I'm curious, though - what game are you referring to?

Just now, Once In A Blue Moon said:

I guess if it never worked properly then yes, that would probably be a bit challenging to run on a modern computer.

I'm curious, though - what game are you referring to?

Empire of the Ants - the most glitchy game in history. For the few who could play the game (it even said in the instruction manual that you needed a very specific set-up and type of Windows computer),... it was terrible. Most of the time, loading up the game would cause it to crash. The tutorial would always crash. No one could play the game for more than an hour before it froze and then crashed. The graphics were horrible, the game itself was incredibly hard. But it was awesome, in my opinion. :D No bug game like it today even comes close.

Spoiler

3452342.jpg

14435390.jpg

• Brohoof 1

I still haven’t beat Soul Reaver 2 from when I started playing it when I was 6. I eventually gave up on it when I was 9 and picked it back up this year. Mortal Kombat is a long timer. I’m always playing it XD

• 2 months later...

Not really. i hardly play games at all anymore. 

Last time I tried a child hood one, it was Rogue Squadron for the N64. And it actually felt harder, I guess because I was trying to complete mission objectives rather than just blow stuff up. 

There was also that time I got to the semi-finals of a Pokemon Stadium tournament. Obviously that's as far as I got and never went back. 

What's interesting is finding games I got as a child but never played till much later in life. Got WCW/nWo: World Tour in '98. Didn't play it till like 2014. 

Sure do~! Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Banjo and Kazooie, Tomba. Those games are wonderful. 
I even bought the remaster of the Crash Bandicoot... Buuut, it doesn't run all that well on my computer so I ended up sticking with the emulator version of the old ones. 
I never did get around to playing the sequels to some of these when I was a kid, I had all the crash games, but I only had the first Spyro game and it wasn't until I started using the N64 emulator that I even found out about Banjo and Tooie.

22 hours ago, ~Dusky~ said:

I would gladly I'd I could. My GBC emulator isn't working right... :(

:confused: Did you try reinstalling it? 

• 3 months later...

Lately I've been wanting to play 007 Tomorrow Never Dies. I still have the game, but haven't played it in at least a decade. 

I just need to find it. It's somewhere around here  :muffins: