Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Evil Pinkie Pie popular in the fandom?

CosmicHooves

People have seemed to stereotype Pinkie Pie.

It's a little disappointing why this happened.

I mean here you have this fun loving party pony who makes everyone smile and people say she's evil.

Nice.

That's just nice. (I'm being sarcastic)

I love Pinkie Pie and she's like up there with Rainbow Dash.

I would assume that Cupcakes started this whole "evil Pinkamena" thing.

post-25645-0-37586400-1397776084_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 2

I would assume it's her operatic almost insanity that people bring this up from. Personally I've never read nor ever plan on reading those horrid fan fics because to me she is very much like I was as a teenager. Fun random and always there for a friend. So this warping of something as innocent as pinky just kinda pisses me off.

• Brohoof 2

I think the vast majority don't see Pinkie Pie as evil, rest assured.

I think she's simply earned the place of most likely to become a serial killer. But, other than her psychotic episode indicating that she may in fact be able to lose touch with reality, it's likely born out of the simple principal that she IS one of the happiest/most friendly ponies.

Fluttershy would probably be about on par, above all other ponies/main characters. She has been cast as a murderer too.

If it was the expected scenario, it wouldn't be interesting. When you introduce something as a polar negative, well, it becomes a lot more memorable, especially if it's woven into established characteristics somehow.

• Brohoof 3

It is just another example of fans being given an inch and taking a mile for fun. Pinkie Pie has a meltdown in Party of One and it is very easy to really stretch something like that. It is really done more of as a joke, granted a very dark joke but still a joke. Even most of the writers of those fanfics depicting Pinkie Pie as a demented psycho know she is not really like that in the show, I know she is not like that but I found Cupcakes to be hilarious because it is so ridiculously over the top and out of character but in its own twisted way worked. 

• Brohoof 4

I would assume it's her operatic almost insanity that people bring this up from. Personally I've never read nor ever plan on reading those horrid fan fics because to me she is very much like I was as a teenager. Fun random and always there for a friend. So this warping of something as innocent as pinky just kinda pisses me off.

Umm... I feel I have to point out that a ton of stuff on the internet is devoted to warping something innocent. Not even going into the rule 34 portion, it's pretty common to take something idealistic and give it a deeper, more realistic/dark face-lift in the self-contained limits of fiction.

Or, to explain what didn't need to be explained.  :derp: It's pretty much always done because deviating from the normal, basic, accepted view can be interesting and fun; sometimes they re-imagine characters, yeah, but I think everyone still knows the true Pinkie Pie.  :lol:

• Brohoof 2

Pretty much everything I would have said has already been said but let me point something out:

The idea of Pinkie being evil spawns mainly from the fame of Cupcakes and the episode Party of One. People take things to the extreme whether as a joke or as some level of creativity booster. This is true of every aspect of the show, though, not just the potential dark sides. Things like Big Mac and Cherilee as lovers is another example, even if in the show they don't actually show any evidence of it going beyond what happened in Hearts'n'Hooves Day.

Anything that throws a semi-canon pairing like that is the same type of exaggeration, just with a lighter tone.

This all goes into the whole headcanon and fanon thing though. In the show Pinkie is most definitely not evil but as a character it's easy to pick out ways to make her into an evil character. The same can be said of any character. None of them are inherently evil but have just enough faults to be exaggerated and morphed into such a character.

Edited by Discordian
  • Brohoof 2

What I don't understand is why fans latched onto Pinkie's meltdown in Party of One as an excuse to write her as a serial killer, yet to the best of my knowledge, almost nobody seems to do the same with Twilight and her numerous meltdowns.

lunatic_twilight_2_gif_by_fim_derpy_hoov

...You know what? Never mind. Upon closer examination, she looks like a totally stable individual.

• Brohoof 7

What I don't understand is why fans latched onto Pinkie's meltdown in Party of One as an excuse to write her as a serial killer, yet to the best of my knowledge, almost nobody seems to do the same with Twilight and her numerous meltdowns.

lunatic_twilight_2_gif_by_fim_derpy_hoov

...You know what? Never mind. Upon closer examination, she looks like a totally stable individual.

My guess is because Party of One came first, plus Cupcakes which I believe was written before Party of One even existed. Cupcakes is WILDLY popular so it really accentuates the idea.

Umm... I feel I have to point out that a ton of stuff on the internet is devoted to warping something innocent. Not even going into the rule 34 portion, it's pretty common to take something idealistic and give it a deeper, more realistic/dark face-lift in the self-contained limits of fiction.

Or, to explain what didn't need to be explained. :derp: It's pretty much always done because deviating from the normal, basic, accepted view can be interesting and fun; sometimes they re-imagine characters, yeah, but I think everyone still knows the true Pinkie Pie. :lol:

I'm very aware that the internet can be a horrid place lol and I won't lie I've posted some theories on harmless topics in a very dark light. My theories on how in sonic robuttnic turns woodland creatures into robots that arnt even of the same species. As a writer I have nothing against people who take darker approaches to things, but I'm never going to like it all. And it just so happens pinky falls into the I don't like it category. Edited by Digit
  • Brohoof 1

Anyone guess what the point of the meme was?

Contrast to the original purpose of the character. Whether for comedy or reaction the idea that this bright and smiley pony like Pinkie can be so utterly dark is more effective simply because Pinkie isn't normally like that.

You could do the same for any of the others but it's most effective with Pinkie because unlike say...laziness with Applejack, for example, it's easy for a fanon Pinkie to hide a dark side until no one is watching.

• Brohoof 4

Why is Pinkie Pie *Steryotyped* as evil? Why is the fandom obsessed with grimdark? Why must humans find amusement in taking the innocent and pure and corrupting it any way they can?

Humans suck and are horribly imperfect, of course :3

• Brohoof 5

Why is Pinkie Pie *Steryotyped* as evil? Why is the fandom obsessed with grimdark? Why must humans find amusement in taking the innocent and pure and corrupting it any way they can?

Humans suck and are horribly imperfect, of course :3

Only if we were all ponies life would be better.
  • Brohoof 1

@,

Actually, there are just as many psycho Twilight fics, if not more than psycho Pinkie fics

That's probably true, but I don't actually read fics so I wouldn't know; I probably should've mentioned earlier that I was mainly referring to drawn fan art. I look through a crap-ton of pony pics every day and almost never see a psycho Twi pic, but I still see psycho Pinkamena everywhere.

• Brohoof 1