Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Meghan McCarthy officially strikes down Sparity

Dattebayo

Hoax or not, I doubt any committed relationship will ever make it to canon outside of the Cadence and Shining Armor pairing.  The show is centered on the Mane 6 and any one of them getting into a canon ship would be unfathomable since it would ultimately distract from the "friends are the greatest thing ever" plot.  Maybe Flashlight, but that has only ever been touched on in the movies and EQG world. 

I'll admit to not reading all eleven pages of replies and just skimming a few of the more recent and earlier ones... but this ship that has always sort of bothered me.  Spike is referred to several times as a baby dragon and Rarity is at least older teen if not young adult age range.  And when we have seen adult dragons, it just wouldn't make sense at all. even though it makes for some great breedables.  But even the best artwork I have seen of the ship sends a little cringe down my spine.  But of course, the writers will always throw a few bones out to the fans to keep them coming back. 

Sooooo... when is this crush gonna end? That's my question! It doesn't need to be around anymore in this case! If the relationship ain't going further, I don't see any reason keeping it around! Spike deserves better than her anyway! ;)

• Brohoof 1

On 28.4.2017 at 8:28 AM, MegaSean45 said:

Sooooo... when is this crush gonna end? That's my question! It doesn't need to be around anymore in this case! If the relationship ain't going further, I don't see any reason keeping it around! Spike deserves better than her anyway! ;)

Since Spike stares Rarity in his usual manner in the cover of the art book about the film there is no way the crush will end in season 7. Here is hoping for season 8...

Edited by snowflame
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2017 at 8:03 PM, snowflame said:

Since Spike stares Rarity in his usual manner in the cover of the art book about the film there is no way the crush will end in season 7. Here is hoping for season 8...

Huh, you're still hoping at ehh. Well, I fell that his crush on Rarity has definitely ended. I don't see anymore Sparity scenes in Season 7, except at the beginning of the episode "Rock Solid Friendship", wherein a wisp moment takes place, but it doesn't show any romantic moments but it shows like an ordinary mates. So don't expect anymore in season 7 specially in the movie. I will still believe on McCarthy said about striking Sparity. I'm NOT trusting Sparity fans hoping that it will happen and it would be canon.

• Brohoof 1

To be perfectly honest, I'm glad that it isn't get much focus nowadays.

Spike has no chance with Rarity, as she is too old for him, being an adult in the world of Equestria, and with him being a child.

It would just be creepy.

• Brohoof 3

On 11.5.2017 at 4:43 AM, HectorCabz said:

Huh, you're still hoping at ehh. Well, I fell that his crush on Rarity has definitely ended. I don't see anymore Sparity scenes in Season 7, except at the beginning of the episode "Rock Solid Friendship", wherein a wisp moment takes place, but it doesn't show any romantic moments but it shows like an ordinary mates. So don't expect anymore in season 7 specially in the movie. I will still believe on McCarthy said about striking Sparity. I'm NOT trusting Sparity fans hoping that it will happen and it would be canon.

I meant I hope they officially end it in season 8. 

• Brohoof 1

On 4/19/2014 at 11:36 PM, ghostfacekiller39 said:

But, truth be told, I never was a fan of that pairing. I wouldn't have liked it if they ended up together canonically, but I feel strangely neutral about it being shut down. I thought some joy would come out of this, but it's more "Meh."

Just had to say, your sig reflects the sentiment of the paragraph you typed perfectly, lol.

As cmarston1 has said, not only is Rarity much older than Spike, but there's also the species barrier. Rarity adores Spike and knows he has a ridiculously huge crush on her, bu but clearly does not view him in a way that is romantic in any way, shape, or form. It would be creepy, in my opinion, as Spike is viewed as pretty much the child of the group.

Even in real life, young girls and boys often have crushes on much older people in their lives. Most grow out of it with time.

10 hours ago, snowflame said:

I meant I hope they officially end it in season 8. 

I doubt they're going to 'end it', as people have called it.  The only way that could really officially happen is if either Spike or Rarity was romanced by another character (which is not very likely to happen to a main character in a My Little Pony series; it could, but it's not likely).  Most likely, what will happen is the show will just simply stop mentioning it.

57 minutes ago, SBaby said:

I doubt they're going to 'end it', as people have called it.  The only way that could really officially happen is if either Spike or Rarity was romanced by another character (which is not very likely to happen to a main character in a My Little Pony series; it could, but it's not likely).  Most likely, what will happen is the show will just simply stop mentioning it.

Seems cheap to abandon a story just like that. Not seeing Babs in a while leaving a story unfinished is one thing, but completely dropping a recurring subject is another. Spike might just realize it was just a child crush and move on. Not saying he's crushing on anyone else, but he simply grows up. Much like the CMCs!

• Brohoof 1

18 hours ago, SBaby said:

They can resolve it them just talking about it like Gravity Falls did for its age inappropriate romance between Wendy and Dipper (I did not particularly enjoy that show but that was handled well). Or Spike getting fed up with having to carry Rarity's stuff and a small argument and they make up but Spike is still not doing that stuff anymore. Or just mentioning casually how he used to have a crush on her forever ago and it's played for laughs since it's not that long but it's still treated seriously.

Or really just give Spike a love interest. I doupt any of the many 6 will get one but if you make Spike grow up a bit and give him wings and set a long distance relationship with Ember I doupt people will complain.

In any case an agree with MegaSean45 that it would be cheap to just drop it. The shippers would never think it's done and even for the rest it would take forever since the crush is not mentioned often. But most importantly it's important for Spike's character development. He has had the schoolboy crush that was never going anywhere from the first episode, it would be a big deal for his character arc if that chapter of his life would close.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
33 minutes ago, snowflame said:

They can resolve it them just talking about it like Gravity Falls did for its age inappropriate romance between Wendy and Dipper (I did not particularly enjoy that show but that was handled well). Or Spike getting fed up with having to carry Rarity's stuff and a small argument and they make up but Spike is still not doing that stuff anymore. Or just mentioning casually how he used to have a crush on her forever ago and it's played for laughs since it's not that long but it's still treated seriously.

Or really just give Spike a love interest. I doupt any of the many 6 will get one but if you make Spike grow up a bit and give him wings and set a long distance relationship with Ember I doupt people will complain.

In any case an agree with MegaSean45 that it would be cheap to just drop it. The shippers would never think it's done and even for the rest it would take forever since the crush is not mentioned often. But most importantly it's important for Spike's character development. He has had the schoolboy crush that was never going anywhere from the first episode, it would be a big deal for his character arc if that chapter of his life would close.

I agree that it would be cheap to just drop the 'subplot' (to put it generously).  But the thing is, this is common for shows to do, especially children's shows, where the target demographic (still children, folks) is likely less interested in the question of a romantic subplot and more interested in the question of, 'When are we going to see resolution?'.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Somethings ironic on the scenes in Season 7 where Rarity and Spike are together, specifically on the episode "Rock Solid Friendship" or even on some episode on Season 6, on how do they interact. I'll be describing something on what the Sparity fans wanted to see on how Rarity and Spike be like, and what is actually exhibited by the showrunner on how they be like.

This is what the Sparity fans wanted to see how Rarity and Spike be like:

vlcsnap-2017-05-23-23h43m13s911.png.120e52609da7f4fb40b5f0c7a8189c2e.pngvlcsnap-2017-05-23-23h43m52s643.thumb.png.19d0e2f1376541e1ec1c6c9c87762f03.png

They want to see any romantic interaction between them, just like how Justin and Hannah interacts on the first episode of "13 Reasons Why".

HUH, well don't expect anymore that they would prose. Even you don't believe that McCarthy already striked down your bu11cr@p-@$$ OTP (well TBH, I am avoiding to use coarse words so they won't get my attention), it will really not gonna happen on the show anymore, because their relationship is just NOTHING, but only a crush and it will definitely never happen. So whatever you do like continuing to ship them, make Sparity fan arts on DeviantArt, you will never make it canon as a romantic couple, and it is already canon as friends and mates only. And I just heard that you made a petition to make Sparity canon. I really hope that your petition's already junked.

So, this is what and how actually exhibited by the showrunner on how they be like:

Unstoppable_2010_720p.BrRip_x264_YIFY.mp4_000919460.png.429cde8c9c176f7170b98a85cdff380f.pngUnstoppable_2010_720p.BrRip_x264_YIFY.mp4_001279027.thumb.png.3339e53485deb9740353161c1fd50ba8.png

Rarity and Spike are just like Gilleece and Dewey from the movie "Unstoppable". They are only just mates like them, and Rarity treats Spike as her servant.

This is now how I describe on the scenes in Season 7 where Rarity and Spike are together

• 3 months later...

Spike deserves better, also he's too young and has a lot of growing to do. Plus dragons love to be over a thousand years, heck maybe even longer, Rarity will be but memory by the time he's 200 years old. He needs to find that special someone who isn't only interested in materials. Someone who is like...well to quote song from HTTYD 2 "For the dancing and the dreaming"(with some edits)

"I have no use for treasures untold, I care not for your poetry, I only want your claw to hold, I only want you near me."