Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

CoD player calls S.W.A.T. team on his opponent (literally)

GrauWitz

This is Outrageous. I am very angry simply because some bad loser called the cops on an innocent COD player. Should this be an example of game addiction? 

Some gamers might throw their controller or curse at the TV when they lose a Call of Duty match, but one player went much, much further this week.

The New York Post reports that a Long Island prankster called police over Skype Tuesday and told them he was Rafael Castillo, a 17-year-old from Long Beach, NY. He reportedly informed the authorities that he had "just killed my mother and I might shoot more people," also giving police Castillo's address.

Long Island police then dispatched helicopters and other emergency vehicles to the scene. In total, more than 60 officers were on site, including "elite members" of a special operations unit, the New York Post says.

When police arrived at the home, Castillo's mother was in the kitchen, unscratched. The authorities then attempted for 20 minutes to get Castillo to come out of his room, but he apparently had headphones on and could not hear what was going on.

Eventually, Castillo emerged from the room and it became apparent that no one was in any danger. Police said that the person who called in the prank likely tracked Castillo's IP address to find out where he lived. The hoaxer's identity and whereabouts are unknown, though police said they are trying to track this person down through digital means.

Pranks of this nature are nothing new, and are known popularly as "swatting." In this case, New York police spent time and resources responding to the hoax, but at least everyone was safe.

I Hope this kid gets arrested. He really is stupid. It is a very serious offence to false alarm police. I just hope that Rafael gets Compensation from activision in the form of Free DLC and the next COD Game.

• Brohoof 2

As an avid gamer, seeing s**** like this makes me want to get rid of my consoles, what kind of idiot is so obsessed with meaningless numbers that he tries to get an innocent man arrested?

Woah really?! I can't believe the stupidity of some people. That guy should watch MLP instead of playing CoD. MLP wouldn't drive him to do something so idiotic. Eh, what can you do? A lot influences a person's knowledge of right and wrong. Lack of that kind of knowledge and reason is turning out to be a global threat. I can just imagine some idiot future president hitting the "launch nuclear missiles" button because he wanted to kill a fly...
The stuff I think about...  -.-

I hope the kid that pulled this shit has to pay the bill

I don't my tax dollars wasted on something like this

• Brohoof 1

(Context: The previous quote called for the prankster's arrest)

I've seen lots of horrible things in this world, but that's going over the limit.

No way!! Wishing the prank-caller dead would definitely be over the limit, but I absolutely expect jail time for something like this.

It would be one thing if a few patrol cars were lured to the house, wasting a bit of their time to check out a report. But the art of quote-unquote "pranks" like this is to get all the available forces on task in such a way that they can't immediately verify the danger - hostages, reports of a psychotic person, automatic weapons, etc. This case had SWAT fully prepared and planning to storm the house, helicopters, snipers, and other complete wastes of resources.

Consider that if one of those officers saw the wrong thing, or someone was threatened in the wrong way, someone could actually have gotten injured or killed - in a situation where NO ONE was in danger to begin with. There was a recent article where an officer accidentally shot dead a 6-year-old boy because they assumed the apartment they were investigating to be MUCH more dangerous than it actually was - and upon opening the door, in a split-second, they mistook the toy gun in the boy's hand for a real one.

What's more, I don't blame SWAT at all for taking that position of readiness - If I was a hostage, and had just barely gotten away from my captor to call the police about it, I would NOT want SWAT's reaction to be "Eh, let's send a few guys just to make sure it's not another prank call."

There's an estimation that the total cost of this operation, without even a bullet fired, exceeded $100,000. I absolutely, positively expect the punishment of this prank caller to stain his criminal record, and for the fallout of this to ruin his life.

• Brohoof 2

What the hell... This isn't a surprise, but I'm still very disappointed. I hope they find this jerk, fit them with the bill and get them counselling. They need real help if they think it's alright to call SWAT on their opponent for losing a video game...

Edited by Celtore

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/teen-sends-cops-home-foe-beat-call-duty-article-1.1765656

So yeah, some kid lost a game in Call of Duty and got so pissed off, that he called the S.W.A.T. team on the guy that beat him as some cruel joke.

My reaction:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This is why government forces shouldn't send half an army to every situation and in response to every call about a potential problem.

This is why government forces shouldn't send half an army to every situation and in response to every call about a potential problem.

Wouldn't the backlash be the same, though, if it happened the other way around? Don't take this theory threateningly, but I'd like to pose a hypothetical situation marking why that's a really bad idea.

A kid finally snaps in the middle of planning his school shooting, and takes his family, and several neighbors, hostage in his home. When one of them manages to get word out to the police, the police send a pair of patrol officers nearby to confirm the incident. Since the officers hardly ever see actual armed "combat" during their careers, the hostage-takers manage to surprise them, shoot both before they can radio in, and then kill two hostages for calling the police. They then relocate somewhere else, no one ever hears from them again, and the station only figures out what happened after two hours pass without a check-in from the officers.

A big waste of money is one thing, but I can't really blame the police for being careful. Keep in mind that they don't make it a simple task of saying into the phone "Oh god there's a lot of them! Send the whole army!" There are entire sleazy internet networks where people talk about how to do it "convincingly".

• Brohoof 1

I hope the kid that pulled this shit has to pay the bill

I don't my tax dollars wasted on something like this

I Don't think that will be necessary. He will probably go to prison.(Done in in my country's slang).

(Context: The previous quote called for the prankster's arrest)

No way!! Wishing the prank-caller dead would definitely be over the limit, but I absolutely expect jail time for something like this.

It would be one thing if a few patrol cars were lured to the house, wasting a bit of their time to check out a report. But the art of quote-unquote "pranks" like this is to get all the available forces on task in such a way that they can't immediately verify the danger - hostages, reports of a psychotic person, automatic weapons, etc. This case had SWAT fully prepared and planning to storm the house, helicopters, snipers, and other complete wastes of resources.

Consider that if one of those officers saw the wrong thing, or someone was threatened in the wrong way, someone could actually have gotten injured or killed - in a situation where NO ONE was in danger to begin with. There was a recent article where an officer accidentally shot dead a 6-year-old boy because they assumed the apartment they were investigating to be MUCH more dangerous than it actually was - and upon opening the door, in a split-second, they mistook the toy gun in the boy's hand for a real one.

What's more, I don't blame SWAT at all for taking that position of readiness - If I was a hostage, and had just barely gotten away from my captor to call the police about it, I would NOT want SWAT's reaction to be "Eh, let's send a few guys just to make sure it's not another prank call."

There's an estimation that the total cost of this operation, without even a bullet fired, exceeded $100,000. I absolutely, positively expect the punishment of this prank caller to stain his criminal record, and for the fallout of this to ruin his life.

I agree. Waste of money and very dangerous. I am absolutely disgusted he did this. And people on CVG are making cruel jokes like ''Shoulda used tactical nuke''. It's not funny. I wish those people could shut up.

• Brohoof 1