Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

web Your opinion of online dating sites

Katana

There are those swipey apps like tinder or similar... I met some people from them but ye. Oh yea also some ppl are not what u think ofc. So always be wary. I only tried cuz lgbt and not much choices. And I reccomend you talk to them for a bit before you meet anyone, ask for real photos and even schedule a voice or video call if possible. There are also ppl pretending to be another gender oof. I think it's full of ppl who are mostly just bored or something tho. Some of the sites also are for friends or social networking. But like eh really. 

• 3 months later...

There should be easier ways to get dates, and not having to go through pages of adware and viruses. It is an obvious trap to use online anything, and dating is a bad as it gets.

I've sadly used many dating sites before, and I really hate them. I think OkCupid was the best one I've been on but even then.. that doesn't mean it's good. Tinder I absolutely hate with every fiber of my being xD

It was only recently where I just kinda went "**** it" and deleted all my accounts as I just couldn't be bothered to look anymore

Complete bogus. While sure some may get lucky, the risk of getting cat-fished (which has happened to me twice) is not something that I am risking. I don't believe in online dating as if its not face to face, its a breeding ground of worry and paranoia, leading to distrust of either partner.

• Brohoof 1

They're trash if you're not attractive enough. It's like a stupid resume where having a good profile could get you sold even if you're trash in real life. Or vice versa. Or you do suck.

Plus I don't like the idea of having options at the same time. How would you feel if you were chosen only because some other person had rejected the person you're with literally like, within a short time frame? Don't know, maybe these are just raw thoughts...

Not something I'd use. I'm not particularly interested in dating, but I especially couldn't see myself doing that with a person I haven't met in real life. Having heard more negative than positive things about them certainly doesn't sway me. :ButtercupLaugh:

• Brohoof 2

• 4 months later...
On 2020-06-06 at 9:40 AM, flurry said:

There are those swipey apps like tinder or similar... I met some people from them but ye. Oh yea also some ppl are not what u think ofc. So always be wary. I only tried cuz lgbt and not much choices. And I reccomend you talk to them for a bit before you meet anyone, ask for real photos and even schedule a voice or video call if possible. There are also ppl pretending to be another gender oof. I think it's full of ppl who are mostly just bored or something tho. Some of the sites also are for friends or social networking. But like eh really. 

I've used Tinder a lot but got a little disappointed with it. I don't think it's possible to meet someone for a serious relationship in a place like this. Not with my luck for sure. I think the Internet is better to use to chat or have fun, but don't count on a serious continuation of this. I found sex chat and use it for fun. I like the ease of communication, there are no empty promises and hopes. Everyone just enjoys time and does everything as they please.

Edited by OscarZullo

Idk, those sites tend to have people faking who they are or what they behave like..
It's better to meet someone irl and then see how things work out rather than dating sites

• Brohoof 3

Dating sites are packed with trolls and catfishes. If I meet someone online it will be outside of those. Dating sites are for losers in my opinion. I am not interested in dating or relationships at the moment. Its probably too much stress and drama anyways. Don't waste your time on dating sites. You will get catfished. It has happened to me a few times outside of them. It is only bound to happen more frequently on a dating site.

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...

I've had my fair share of dating websites or apps rather. While it may sound strange to some, I have never actually met someone using one of these apps having been relatively active on them. Especially tinder, perhaps the most well known app or "website" I mean I don't think many use websites like that if I remember correctly tinder used to have a website version. Regardless, I spent a lot of my university years swiping girls on tinder and while I would match with very good looking girls let's just say so. They all more or less seemed to lack any interest in a conversation I would try to get to know them only to be met with one word replies. It was strange to me as I would meet plenty of girls that were more then willing to talk to me in classes and it seemed odd that I could connect with them but not girls on there. I tried other websites as well or apps and more or less the same story. Sometimes I wonder if dating apps work for anyone actually and if so why did it. There does not seem to be any interest in actually meeting someone on there. Interestingly enough you meet more girls on apps unrelated to dating, I also am not a fan of the culture itself that revolves around dating apps. To me it does seem to objectify the genders, making it almost as if it were a game. Tinder is a numbers game bro, sure everyone knows that but like how are you actually meeting someone worth your time if they are literally you swiping everyone in the hopes of getting one reply. So what I will say is I don't believe in dating apps or websites. That they are incredible dull and boring as if the only purpose is to boost your own egotistical mindset. Surprised there has yet to be a better way of meeting people nowadays. Though that being said, it does seem as if the best way is still just meeting someone elsewhere or offline. Plenty of people in the world, most of them are not really worth my time. Therefore I rarely actively seek out someone but you always want to know what type of people would be interested in you.

• Brohoof 1

30 minutes ago, Fluttershyfan94 said:

I've had my fair share of dating websites or apps rather. While it may sound strange to some, I have never actually met someone using one of these apps having been relatively active on them. Especially tinder, perhaps the most well known app or "website" I mean I don't think many use websites like that if I remember correctly tinder used to have a website version. Regardless, I spent a lot of my university years swiping girls on tinder and while I would match with very good looking girls let's just say so. They all more or less seemed to lack any interest in a conversation I would try to get to know them only to be met with one word replies. It was strange to me as I would meet plenty of girls that were more then willing to talk to me in classes and it seemed odd that I could connect with them but not girls on there. I tried other websites as well or apps and more or less the same story. Sometimes I wonder if dating apps work for anyone actually and if so why did it. There does not seem to be any interest in actually meeting someone on there. Interestingly enough you meet more girls on apps unrelated to dating, I also am not a fan of the culture itself that revolves around dating apps. To me it does seem to objectify the genders, making it almost as if it were a game. Tinder is a numbers game bro, sure everyone knows that but like how are you actually meeting someone worth your time if they are literally you swiping everyone in the hopes of getting one reply. So what I will say is I don't believe in dating apps or websites. That they are incredible dull and boring as if the only purpose is to boost your own egotistical mindset. Surprised there has yet to be a better way of meeting people nowadays. Though that being said, it does seem as if the best way is still just meeting someone elsewhere or offline. Plenty of people in the world, most of them are not really worth my time. Therefore I rarely actively seek out someone but you always want to know what type of people would be interested in you.

I feel like now these apps are more for attention than anything, I knew taken individuals with Tinder accounts that just had them to see who would swipe them, others use it to try to get themselves Instagram followers(or whatever social media acc of theirs they’re trying to promote.)

I can’t say I’ve ever met anyone on tinder who wasn’t just looking for a random hookup. Most tinder profiles I’ve seen now a days no one even bothers to fill any profile info out. It literally is just going by your face.

I know on Bumble, at least this is a thing with the ones in my area, people either put themselves on higher pedestals than what they actually are(Let me list how great I am sort of people.) put some sort of random nonsense in their profile description that gives you no information about them(just their looks to go by) or the self defeatist sort of profile descriptions aka the “I’m shy and ugly no one likes me.” 

Even after finding matches with people with normal filled out profiles it’s hard to even get a normal conversation going. I look at things on a persons profile, interests, hobbies, etc and ask questions/just try to start a conversation and it’s like pulling teeth. I can’t carry the whole conversation. Or I get the ones that immediately go in on my appearance wanting in my pants.

The dates I’ve actually went on from meeting people on these apps were train wrecks. I talked with one online and online she seemed like a nice, kind of shy girl. Met her in person and she was literally a Regina George. Rich(she had to talk about all her high end things), self centered, absolutely rude to our waitress and trash talked every person in the entire restaurant. I never wanted to run so fast from a date in my life lmao.

You get the ones that stand you up,actually have partners or were just stringing you along. 

The dating websites are dead since the apps are what people are using. But the apps are such a mess that you never get anywhere. I had one person tell me they have a friend who met their husband on Bumble. That’s it though.

• Brohoof 1

Never used one. I mean they could be a good place to find someone. But I’ve never seen the appeal behind it. Mostly because I dunno if I could find anyone and I’ve had a few long distance ones if it came to that. Never worked it out. 

• Brohoof 1

@Clawdeen I've usually heard that those other websites such as bumble although I don't think is available in my country have I guess one thing going for it the few users. However, I have learned many of those dating apps even ones catering to a niche market all have that same issue. The conversations, lack of information and also the hookup expectations perhaps. I rarely see any profiles with a bio, so you know they are what they are these apps or websites. 

Still, if there was an app that somehow managed to be different from these. That you'd get to know someone, I agree with what you say but obviously everyone has their own experiences. 

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Fluttershyfan94 said:

@Clawdeen I've usually heard that those other websites such as bumble although I don't think is available in my country have I guess one thing going for it the few users. However, I have learned many of those dating apps even ones catering to a niche market all have that same issue. The conversations, lack of information and also the hookup expectations perhaps. I rarely see any profiles with a bio, so you know they are what they are these apps or websites. 

Still, if there was an app that somehow managed to be different from these. That you'd get to know someone, I agree with what you say but obviously everyone has their own experiences. 

Yeah the whole reason why I’ve not completely given up on using them is due to others telling me they know of someone who’s found a successful partner on them. I’ve just personally not had any luck myself. 

2 minutes ago, Clawdeen said:

Yeah the whole reason why I’ve not completely given up on using them is due to others telling me they know of someone who’s found a successful partner on them. I’ve just personally not had any luck myself. 

I've heard of that saying too sure yet I think the ones that are finding a partner on there would have had similar luck in real life. Without the use of apps but who's to say though. Personally I think life is more about I guess opportunities, that every person you meet usually has the relationship potential. Dating apps giving a large collection of potential I suppose would be fair to say. Though I guess that people looking for long term relationships might refrain from such sites. I don't use the apps, mostly I see it as you know getting to know people I don't really use it though for any other reason then I suppose I am expected to be on these.

• Brohoof 1