Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Origins of Celestia and Luna [head canon]

Forlong

filly_luna_and_teenage_celestia_by_pluck

I find it fascinating that we know so little about the origins of Celestia and Luna.  Lauren Faust said that they were born Alicorns, which differentiates them from Cadence and Twilight.  Where exactly did they come from?  How did they become Princesses, if they were not part of the unicorns' royal family?  Allow me to indulge myself in sharing my head canon (finally spelt it right).

Bane of Alicorns

Long ago, when Equestria was young, there was a flying castle called Ragnarok.  'Twas not inhabited by Pegusi, Griffins, or even Dragons; but creatures so ancient, they were thought to be extinct: the Alicorns.  Cursed with a low birth rate, and having lost many in the battle to conquer Ragnarok, they were few in number even then.  They were lead in wisdom and compassion by Lord Cosmos and his wife, Mother Galaxia.

But there were some among the Alicorns that wished to study the evil forces that had ruled Ragnarok before.  Foul beings so ancient that no tale speaks of them.  The name of this evil is not known, for even the Alicorns had forgotten it.  Lord Cosmos, seeing the growing darkness within these Alicorns, demanded their research to be halted, but they did not listen.

Thus began the Alicorn Civil War, cutting down their low numbers even farther.  The last Alicorn to die in the conflict was sweet Mother Galaxia herself, who held off the dark Alicorns that her two daughters could escape.  Galaxia's eldest, Celestia, had taken her sister Luna--not even a yearling--to Equestria where she hoped they'd be safe.

But it was not to be, for the leader of the dark Alicorns was satisfied with nothing short of complete genocide.  The remainder of his forces brought his wrath upon Equestria.  The ponies of Equestria fought bravely, many to their deaths.  However, they took the Alicorns down with them, until only their leader was left.  He was the strongest of all the Alicorns (with the possible exception of Lord Cosmos).  Even Star Swirl was no match for him.

Tired of the fighting and death, young Celestia took up the Fire of Friendship and fought the evil Alicorn herself.  Her powers were greater than anypony could have guessed.  Powered by a desire to protect all Equestria and avenge her ponies, Celestia overpowered the Bane of Alicorns.  With ancient, dark, alicorn magic, Celestia tore her foe's wings asunder and shattered his horn.  Permanently grounded and having his magic stolen from him, the Bane of Alicorns barely escaped with his life.

Celestia was celebrated as a hero of Equestria and Queen Platinum appointed her and her little sister as Princesses.  They were taken in by Spellbound as his students, who taught them how to control their powers and use them with nobility and wisdom.

The Bane of Alicorns never forgot his humiliating defeat.  He vowed to return to Equestria and make Celestia suffer for defeating him.  He would break her.  He would rule her.  Denouncing his given name, he chose a new name for himself.  One that reflected his temporary broken state.  One that would strike fear in the hearts of his foes.

king_sombra_by_cmaggot-d5kpe62.jpg

The characters Cosmos and Galaxia are not my own.  They are OCs by SpyrotheFox.

http://spyrothefox.deviantart.com/

little_princesses_by_spyrothefox-d3fp292

What do you think of my head canon?  Awesome, right?  What about you?  Do you have your own about the royal sisters?

Edited by Forlong
  • Brohoof 1

I like it!  :D There's a lot of cool fanon out there that is fascinating to read when it comes to the history of Equus. As for my own thoughts, I imagined the planet they live on has had the kind of sapient life they have now for quite some time. (ie, Pegasi, Unicorns, Earth ponies, gryphons, dragons, etc.) The alicorns Tia and Luna are simply two in a long line of caretakers of Equestria, reigning over it for 2000-3000 years or so before they retire or pass on.

I didn't know Faust has said they had been born as alicorns; I thought alicorn caretakers are born to real parents as one of the regular pony races, and after some time are chosen in some way and then reborn as alicorns to do their job, much like Twilight was. In any case, they would still have been chosen to rule since any alicorn is eligible for the job. In the case of Celestia and Luna, they just happened to be sisters, but it could be any set of ponies paired up. Not all regular ponies that become alicorns necessarily become caretakers (I'm looking at you Twilight and Cadence! ;)) The caretaker choosing is only done when there is consensus among the 3 other races that new caretakers are needed - either due to some great evil that needs to be dealt with or that the unicorns are simply tired of having to raise the sun and moon themselves during the times of there being no caretakers present. :)

That's it, still kinda rough in details but I honestly haven't given it as much deep thought since there are already so many good ideas out there. :)

Edited by TruffleShuffle