Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are Young Children The Minority Now Of MLP?

GXPBlast

As we know MLP was originally a show made for little kids specifically girls. Since the inception of G4 MLP and the huge boom of the unexpected fans of MLP being adult males and even some females, we make up a the majority of the shows fanbase.

This thread is not to point out that bronies are keeping MLP alive or are influencing the show but (even though I truly believe we are) but to point out that since the adults whether it be men or woman make up the majority in my opinion.

I am sure young children watch the show but bronies are the core audience. So despite what haters say, technically MLP is a show for adults. In reality though MLP is a show anyone can enjoy.

One thing I would like to point out is that when I went into Hot Topic this week, there was a whole section in the back dedicated to MLP. Instead of the pink colored MLP themed stuff, most of the MLP merchandise logo was more neutral in a greenish and blue color with little to no pink at all. In fact most MLP themed merchandise in Hot Topic did not have tons of pink all over it.

If MLP was not popular among adults and we were not the majority, I dont think stores like Hot Topic would sell these products. Same goes with Adventure time, despite being a kids show there is a very large adult fanbase and thus Hot Topic sells their merchandise.

Anyone else go to Hot Topic as well or any other store and notice this about MLP merchandise? Also do you agree technically MLP is not a "kids show" anymore? Despite MLP and show like Adventure Time being a kids show at its core, based on the fanbase alone, both make them shows for adults.

Here is just one example of the stuff I encountered in Hot Topic.

img-2564177-1-original.jpg

Edited by GXPBlast
  • Brohoof 1

fdfdsa fd d asd adf  23r2r r2

Edited by plzremoveaccountfdfd

MLP:FiM is watched by young children and bronies.

Thus it's a show for everyone, not only for mature adults no?

Your avatar fits this response so perfectly.

I think the term "kid's show" is quite vague and subjective. It's a show that is kid friendly, but appeals to all audiences. Much like that of Adventure Time and The Simpsons.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
.=

The show is marketed towards younger children, but they have no qualms selling more ageless items.

It seems that alot of shows such as Adventure Time and Regular Show has a similar effect. A large fanbase of adults despite being targeted for children.

But in my opinion MLP bay far is much more popular in terms of how quickly the fandom has grown. In less than four years, I have never seen a fanbase of adults grow so rapidly than MLP. There is an estimated 14 millions bronies worldwide and growing fast. I see way more bronies on the internet such as on forums and YouTube videos even if it has nothing to do with MLP. Also in terms of Hot Topic for example at least the ones I have been to, shows like Adventure Time have stuff for sale randomly around the store, but MLP has its own dedicated section which says alot about how popular the fandom has become.

Edited by GXPBlast
  • Brohoof 1

Ha. Good one. Oh you're not joking? Well If I started a pegasister convention and invited only girls how many including little girls, how many would show up?

Edited by Star Ruby

we make up a the majority of the shows fanbase.

For like the millionth time, where do you get this from? Yes, bronies are a huge market so there are products targeted to them available. The show still seems to be mainly targeted towards children though. You go into any department store and they'll have a huge pink section dedicated to MLP toys that are very clearly targeted towards young girls. Hot Topic is a store that specializes in weird niche groups like fandoms, so of course they'll have a section for the weird niche group that is bronies.

• Brohoof 3

For like the millionth time, where do you get this from? Yes, bronies are a huge market so there are products targeted to them available. The show still seems to be mainly targeted towards children though. You go into any department store and they'll have a huge pink section dedicated to MLP toys that are very clearly targeted towards young girls. Hot Topic is a store that specializes in weird niche groups like fandoms, so of course they'll have a section for the weird niche group that is bronies.

I and other members of the forum discussed that on other threads based on what we have witnessed personally and viewed on the internet based on our research.

But this thread is not to discuss the fanbase majority as we have done that before. It is to claim that its no longer a show just for kids but for anyone and that happens to have a very large adult fanbase.

I dont want to argue about stats and such, this is based on what I personally and many others have witnessed. If you dont agree that is fine as you have every right to your opinions and I am not looking to debate any further with you on that.

Also in terms of toys, I specifically mentioned stores like Hot Topic. Sure Toys R Us, Target, and Walmart have section on MLP based stuff in the girly section of the store, but being that MLP is so popular and Hot Topic has a whole section dedicated to it not overwhelmed with pink like other big box stores says something about how popular the show is and that its not only a little girls show like haters like to claim.

I think it's a little premature to make this claim without actual facts and figures to back this up.  Of course what you witness personally is going to lean you towards thinking Bronies are the core audience.  You're a Brony.  You hang out with other bronies.  I doubt you hang out with 8 year old girls.  How do you know how popular the franchise is with that audience?

• Brohoof 2

I figured that the demographic of the show would be for everyone, that's good then.

Exactly this............tbh, once i saw the first episode, I had the feeling that Hasbro wanted to go towards a "everyone" and family oriented show.  Not just an all-girls show, imo.

• Brohoof 1

Exactly this............tbh, once i saw the first episode, I had the feeling that Hasbro wanted to go towards a "everyone" and family oriented show.  Not just an all-girls show, imo.

I didn't really have that feeling, until I kept watching the show. I have to agree with you though.

We are not the core demographic.

The show is well-written to the point where it is enjoyable despite the age of the viewer. But it's still targeted at little girls. The writers will occasionally throw in the odd reference for us as a little 'hey, we know you're there, thanks for supporting' thing, but the show is not, nor will it ever be targeted at an adult audience. The quality of the plot and writing is what appeals it to us.

This is one of the only decent TV shows little girls have. Executives go out of their way to deliberately exclude little girls from other quality cartoons. (The Young Justice controversy, anyone?) This is their show, and while we may enjoy it, we have to come to terms that we're sharing it with them.

Edited by Kay Dreamer
  • Brohoof 8

My Little Pony is now viewed by all audiences whether they you're a kid or an adult. Personally I think that judging a show thats supposed to be for a specific audience is wrong. Anyone can choose to watch what they want. ^^

Edited by DokiLoki
  • Brohoof 2

Ha. Good one. Oh you're not joking? Well If I started a pegasister convention and invited only girls how many including little girls, how many would show up?

I'm a 14 year old girl almost 15 and I like the show, but I really like the dark fanfics the most

Well, no show is 'only' a kid's show. It's not like there's some magical barrier that blocks the ability for you to watch a show once you reach a certain age.

Granted, a lot of shows for the age group that FiM is put in are really unbearable. MLP:FiM would seem to have a lot more universal appeal than its "competition", BUT that doesn't mean that it's magically no longer a show intended for little girls. It just means that you are enjoying a show intended for little girls. That's not a bad thing! Be proud that you have enough security in being a guy that you can enjoy something intended for girls, instead of throwing that fact under the bus and being like "No way, MLP is a man's show" (I know you didn't say that, but I have seen it said), that nonsense just makes me sick. The show is intended to be quality entertainment for girls. A show to (and I know I've said this a billion times, but it has to be said that many times, apparently!) show girls that there are many ways to be a girl, and none of them are wrong. Even as an adult, I still have a hard time relating to girls throughout media, and this show is a nice exception, even if it's targeted for much younger than me. Don't take that away from little girls, they need the show!

Anyway, you say "Bronies" are the majority of the show's audience. Are you certain about that? Seems like this fandom has gotten quite the big head.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 6

From my perspective it's never been a "kid's show," and I seldom think of things in those terms. Just like I haven't thought of it as a show for little girls, despite recognizing that they are the target and that most of society would perceive it as such. The morals and lessons presented are equally applicable to everyone's lives regardless of age or gender, and were presented in such a way that the children could understand without the adults feeling patronized. I felt both enriched and entertained despite being a 23 year-old guy when I discovered MLP.

From a business perspective, however, it really is a kids' show, even today. The majority of merchandise is that frilly, pink, cheerful stuff you find in Target, and the advertisements and commercials typically appeal to people who love that sort of thing (small children).

Hot Topic is a dark place overall so they won't carry a line of merchandise that appears overly cheerful. As for why you're seeing what one might consider more "adult" merchandise in stores not frequented by children, I think that might have just as much if not more to do with them trying to milk those kids growing out of the target demographic than appeal to adults bronies. Keep in mind that this show is pushing four years now. Almost half of a decade. They need to make sure this money maker stays relevant as long as possible to the naturally shifting interests of aging kids. Items for display rather than play, posters, earbuds, and movies about high school drama (Equestria Girls) appeal to their sensibilities more than the talking Pinkie in a diaper that did several years back. They're keeping with the times. Smart move on their part, but we're still a peripheral concern. Adults are too critical and fickle. I've yet to hear a child or tween complain much about show accuracy in the toys for which they're begging their parents to pony up some cash.

Be proud that you have enough security in being a guy that you can enjoy something intended for girls, instead of throwing that fact under the bus and being like "No way, MLP is a man's show" (I know you didn't say that, but I have seen it said), that nonsense just makes me sick.

Understood and somewhat agreed, but most of such claims I've heard have been facetious. Jokes made by guys to satirize themselves. I try not to take it too seriously when I hear men say stuff like that.

• Brohoof 2

Nah.

As much as a like to believe it, it's still primarily a "for everyone" show.

Although, sexy Applejack kinda threw me off a bit...

Hot Topic isn't a good example....

If people started a show about people throwing sh*t at each other on the side of the Street and it became the new "in" thing, Hot Topic would sell it's merchandise. That's just their business model.

Edited by Dattebayo