S04:E23 - Inspiration Manifestation  

256 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I loved it! <3

I liked the episode, it would have been a meh for me if Spike would not have told Rarity off, which I liked to see for once. 

• 1 month later...

If spike is supposed to be the seventh element of harmony, the element of sacrifice, as others have theorized, this episode is his test seeing as he thought he was giving up his friendship with Rarity when he told her the truth. If the Tree of Harmony chest had seven keyholes, he would have got a key.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 5/18/2016 at 1:38 PM, LotusPeony said:

the writers made rarity out of character. i didnt have much to say this but im getting the feeling she wants to be on the greedy side

I'm going to say that she was not out of character...

And that it was 100% the book doing it.

I mean to be fair. We have no ideal what that book would have done with any other pony.

-

And you may actually have point.

In that a lot of times people really really want to just stop going with the base part of there personality.

Some times you will see that really really kind person snap and say that SUPER Cruel thing to some one....

I pretty much the person in my family that's always reasonable and always kind of seas every one's point. And Quite frankly I get sick of it... I do some times just want to tell them. "Your all idiots," And be really unreasonable.

If you spend all your time pleasing other people (Even on a professional level) Some times you get sick of it.

-

And we see this with other characters.

The episode where Fluttershy acts like a brute.

The Episode where Applejack runs away instead of being honest.

Party of one.

I don't know.. Have we ever had a rainbow dash episode like that.....

• 9 months later...

I liked this Episode and the kinda evil Version of Rarity, even though i found it sad, that it was never shown where the book came from or if this green stuff is actually an evil creature or something.

• 5 months later...

Sketchy, hidden spells: not even once. See, the owl knows. 

This reminds me a lot of "Lesson Zero," in that it's kinda scary. The actual character depth here is distributed a bit differently, in that it's someone other than the scary pony who learns something here, but this is nearly as meaningful for Spike as "Lesson Zero" was for Twilight. Spike really should have warned Twilight, but the actual character arc here, of Spike breaking from his subservience to Rarity, is very significant indeed, and the moral about how friends will appreciate your honesty is one of the show's strongest. 

It's weird, though, that Rarity eventually started making things incredibly gaudy... guess the book's magic just cared about being used? Oh well. I think the general scariness of what's going on here overshadows some pretty decent jokes, but it is funny enough, and the character development for Spike remains deeply satisfying to me. A somewhat underappreciated episode. 

Score:
Entertainment: 7/10
Characters: 9/10
Themes: 9/10
Story: 7/10
Overall: 80/100

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)
On 6/29/2018 at 9:02 AM, AlexanderThrond said:

It's weird, though, that Rarity eventually started making things incredibly gaudy... guess the book's magic just cared about being used? Oh well. I think the general scariness of what's going on here overshadows some pretty decent jokes, but it is funny enough, and the character development for Spike remains deeply satisfying to me. A somewhat underappreciated episode.

It gets even scarier when you consider the fact if she's changing things rather than swapping them as it seems to be then she's not only literally altered the destiny's, personality and talents of ponies like the clown to the server but she even changes this stallion at the right of the band . . .

Stallion.png

into a mare possibly permanently as we see ponyville still looking the same when Rarity's studying it at the end of the episode. Did he have a wife/kids? Is she still interested in classical music and living with DJ-Pon 3?

filly.png

Yes Twilight, Cadence and Luna were busy cleaning up all the dark magic but an awful lot of Ponyville was changed who's to say they wouldn't miss a pony or two or three who insist they've always been this way especially given how tired and frazzeled Twilight is shown to be.

Edited by Senko
  • Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Senko said:

It gets even scarier when you consider the fact if she's changing things rather than swapping them as it seems to be then she's not only literally altered the destiny's, personality and talents of ponies like the clown to the server but she even changes this stallion at the right of the band . . .

Stallion.png into a filly possibly permanently as we see ponyville still looking the same when Rarity's studying it at the end of the episode. Did he have a wife/kids? Is she still interested in classical music and living with DJ-Pon 3?

filly.png

Yes Twilight, Cadence and Luna were busy cleaning up all the dark magic but an awful lot of Ponyville was changed who's to say they wouldn't miss a pony or two or three who insist they've always been this way.

I think they intend to be very thorough. Best not to consider the implications, though...

• 2 weeks later...

This episode is simply fantastic. Rarity being crazy is always fun to watch, but this time it makes more sense with her character compared to "Simple Ways". Spike is also great, learning a very important lesson. The jokes are strong and everything just works.

Score: 10/10

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed this episode. It nice to see a real reason for a pony going crazy. I could enjoy it because it wasn’t really Rarity. Spike not speaking up was the issue.

On 7/16/2018 at 6:32 AM, Senko said:

Stallion.png

into a mare possibly permanently as we see ponyville still looking the same when Rarity's studying it at the end of the episode. Did he have a wife/kids? Is she still interested in classical music and living with DJ-Pon 3?

filly.png

Yes Twilight, Cadence and Luna were busy cleaning up all the dark magic but an awful lot of Ponyville was changed who's to say they wouldn't miss a pony or two or three who insist they've always been this way especially given how tired and frazzeled Twilight is shown to be.

Wow. That really shows just how creepy that scene was. I didn’t catch the ponies changing, or one changing gender. I hope Spike didn’t catch that either. Otherwise, that makes him not speaking up so much worse.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This is a fine episode, but the problem is that the story drags for a good chunk of it. I like the moral and Spike's arc of learning it even if the moral is a bit too similar to It Ain't Easy Being Breezies, but too much of the episode is just Rarity changing something, Spike saying how great Rarity is, and Owlicious looking at Spike disapprovingly. Crazy Rarity is fun at first, but she gets old before the story starts to pick up again near the end. There isn't enough of a sense of escalation since Rarity starts going too far way too early. 

But even when the episode drags, it's not annoying to watch. At worst, it's kinda boring and the rest of it is interesting enough with a few jokes thrown in. 

Score: 6/10

• 3 months later...

One of the best episodes of the season, possessed rarity is something I didn't knew I needed, I liked how they portrayed spike here, they did not use the annoying "who" joke so its a good thing. It was a nice joke with rainbow dash busting clouds with style(reference to one of the previous gens). Rarity is pretty good as an antagonist here, really enjoyed how she behaved when possessed. 9\10  

• 1 year later...

Season 4 was Spike's best year with the orignal writers for sure, at least in terms of his focus episodes. The other two drew on his insecurites that we learned about in Crystal empire part 2 while this one further developed his friendship with Rarity, aka he actually had things to work with in this season. I don't like the idea of them being a couple, for me it would just be too creepy if Rarity started returning those feelings. She's a grown adult while he's still just a kid. That's why I'm happy it stayed as a one sided crush. But I do really like their close bond anyway and this episode was a great showing of that, Spike needing to have the guts to criticize Rarity even with his fears of losing her as a friend was a legtitametly good delima and he got to solve the problem all on his own.

• 1 month later...

Good message in this ep, even if I'm not a huge fan of spike and rarity together. Also does anypony remember that time Spike ate a book?

The best of Rarity's mad creations is this tree.

large.jpeg

"What in rhubarb pie?" is one of AJ's most underrated lines :P 

image.png.70434a97622934bdfa31dca0478471a1.png

Rainbow Dash cloudbusting with style

image.png.2f1e61b91ae23107286d812ded56691a.png

Rarity has the highest body count of the Mane 6. She completely erased the existence of the performers D:

image.png.0d7633e138a010108fad14e7b00525e6.png

• 3 weeks later...

This is a good episode with also a good morale. I like Owlowiscious just as I like Spike and their interactions where also good and fun here. I also lot of fun  watching possessed rarity going with her creations.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Brings to mind an interesting concept. Rarity being a villain. I found the reversing of the spell to be rather too easy, I wish Rarity stayed like she did in this episode but over the course of a few episodes she transforms into Nightmare Rarity, and wreaks havoc. 

• 2 years later...

Rarity goes crazy because she can't make everyone loves her unique and particular fashion sense, and then she gets an evil spell. Spike really ought to know better than to wonder arround the castle of the two sister and take out any weird old book containing clearly malevolent magic, come on. He hangs around Twilight, surely she wouldve went with him. But noooooo, it has to be the owl that just says "Who" at Spike.

The spell in itself is a really nice concept, making Rarity the most genius manifestator magic user in Equestria in exchange for unlimited ideas and uninterruptible drive top create more and more. That's some good ol' monkey paws twisting of ones wishes since evil Genies. I really like what Rarity becomes, possesed by evil magic, and just transforming everything and anything into what she wants, and other peoples by damned. Twilight running around trying to fix things without understanding where the evil magic comes from was pretty funny.

Spike having to tell the truth to reverse the spell was visible from a mile away, actually right when he read the spell. We all knew where it was going, but it doens't mean it not a satisfying way to end a curse. It's kind of his own version of a true love kiss, but without having to kiss Rarity, which is a shame for the little guy. He really needed a win.

7.5/10, would get tranformed into a 12ft tall marble statue of myself.

• Excited 1

• 2 weeks later...