Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could a more mature MLP show be feasible?

Azureth

Hear me out. What if a MLP show was not burdened with having to market to toys and kids and could theoretically have as mature content as possible, would a more violent mature show (aimed at say adults) be feasible and still be entertaining?

While it is nice they have loosened up a bit over the years I wonder if a full-on MLP show with mature/adult content could still be entertaining. Isn't the fact it is kind of childish in a way part of the appeal? Seeing blood/cursing etc. in a MLP show would seem weird to me, but I dunno, what are your thoughts?

• Brohoof 2

It wouldn't be possible. It's simply not going to happen.

My Little Pony has the family friendly stigma attached and people would freak out if a more mature show emerged in the franchise; even if it specifically pointed out that it's purpose was to appeal to more mature audiences/adult fans/Rambo-esque hardcore little girls. Hasbro simply wouldn't risk the law suits that would more likely than not start rolling in.

Edited by Tholos
  • Brohoof 4

I like how it is, for young and olds. Too much adult stuff would probably kill that, so many from us love the show how it is, so why change it completly? I like adult stuff from MLP like stories etc. but prefer that more from the fanbase then from the actual show^^

Hm... well, here's my answer from a fourteen year old Pegasister's perspective: Possibly. Now, it could go either way... although I'm leaning towards "no". One of the reasons I believe MLP is so popular is because of how innocent it is... it helps us get away from all the annoyances of the real world and those adult dramas and whatever on TV. So... it could be alright, but I am definitely leading towards no... as I doubt Hasbro would ever do it anyways, as it would probably make them lose a lot of their business because... well, of reasons. ^^; Just my thoughts. :)

• Brohoof 2

You'd enter a very weird grey area. Adult cartoons, in order to be fully taken as adult need a more real color scheme and tone. Magical pastel colored horses sounds like somthing you'd need to change the entire concept of in order to really make it adult. Now making a more ageless show would be easyer, as you would just need to get rid of the product placements in the show (the really overt ones), and can focus on issues like governmental systems and economics. But since they are colorful cartoon horsies, it would be off putting to most to see them swearing and participating in orgies in a non cometic satire setting.

An MLP spin-off doesn't necessarily have to have sex and violence to be more "mature", it could just have more complex stories skewed towards a slightly older audience. That I could see happening at some point if the show stays as successful as it is.

In fact it technically has already happened with Equestria Girls which is targeted at a slightly older audience, but only by a few years.

Edited by Andaasonsan
  • Brohoof 2

The closest you would ever get to this, would be if time warner managed to purchase the show and orbiting cartoon network. But cursing and tons of violence wouldn't happen you would probably only see a small rise in the age group of problems occurring.

I think it could work but not to a full extent conflict is something many forms of media meets but portrayal along with character development are more important then guns and swords not to say that  action scenes, cool stunts, and a whimsical lore can't bring more to the table I just think that even in the light of the matter the show works just fine and that bringing in deeper meaning might be cool it also would be bad as well.  

It simply won't do. It doesn't have to be more mature to be entertaining, the show is fine the way it is so there is no need to change anything if you don't want or have the need to.

It simply won't do. It doesn't have to be more mature to be entertaining, the show is fine the way it is so there is no need to change anything if you don't want or have the need to.

Well in what context do you presumably bring maturity to the table? The idea it self can be anything of the matter stating maturity as subject is like saying is my child mature enough to weed the yard deeper subject matter can be implemented without the idea of deep adult theme take a look at batman the animated series from warner bro studios it is for kids but has mature themes or tmnt. Though conflict is not necessary to be that way.

Well in what context do you presumably bring maturity to the table? The idea it self can be anything of the matter stating maturity as subject is like saying is my child mature enough to weed the yard deeper subject matter can be implemented without the idea of deep adult theme take a look at batman the animated series from warner bro studios it is for kids but has mature themes or tmnt. Though conflict is not necessary to be that way.

I've seen that show, don't worry. I'm just saying that it doesn't have to be mature, it can have an adult theme here and there just nothing too controversial.

No.

At least, not in the action-y type of way. Could it do more complex ideas? Sure! They could always try. But i still dont think it would work out. Sometimes, we just enjoy watching colored horses finding friends. Thats not to say that it shouldnt do more complex stories, but it shouldnt be every single episode. Maybe a few a season or something.

• Brohoof 1

It's an interesting thought but it simply isn't being done with a franchise of this sort. A dark, serious edition of MLP is likely to create backlash and problems that would offset any sort of profit it could generate.  We won't see officially sanctioned mature versions of Spongebob, Codename Kids Next Door, or other lighthearted cartoons either for the same reason.

But there is some quality fanfiction and fanmade animation out there to fill that void so it's all good. :)

To clarify, I of course realize Hasbro would never allow it, nor was I trying to say we should change G4. I am simply talking about if an adult-themed MLP could feasibly have adult content without it coming off as ridiculous. I am purely talking hypothetically here.

We already have the PONY.MOV series.

That is more like a parody and really if it was a stand alone show it would be bomb not because it is soo bad but really it is not south park or even close enough to be watchable for 30 minutes. 

The only "more mature" thing I'd be interested in is a bit more teeth or drama.

But I mean only things you'd find in a Disney movie.

If you're talking about language, sex, gore, etc. then HEEEEEEECK NO.

The fandom has it covered.

• Brohoof 1

Well we have the DC universe that has shows and movies running from campy G to PG 13 and I'm not sure, but maybe a few R's...

So yeah, it could be done.

But then Hasbro will be accused of corrupting a children's show.

I'd personally love to see it though.

I don't think it would be feasible as a show. MLP is successful the way it is because it is the way it is. Leave any more mature themes for fanfics or fanvids.

To clarify, I of course realize Hasbro would never allow it, nor was I trying to say we should change G4. I am simply talking about if an adult-themed MLP could feasibly have adult content without it coming off as ridiculous. I am purely talking hypothetically here.

Right.  Yeah, I get you.  I have often thought about this.  Now, in actuality, no, I don't want them to really change the show or make an adult version because I want it to stay the kids show that it is.  The innocence is a big part of the appeal.  But just hypothetically, I think a mature version could work.  It would have to remain a completely separate entity, but I think it would be awesome.  I covered a similar issue in my post in this thread.

http://mlpforums.com/topic/89554-what-would-you-like-to-see-fim-crossed-with/

I think My Little Pony could feasibly work at the drama level of a Disney or Ghibli movie. Heck, even Avatar: TLA. That was still targeted at kids. I'd love to see longer story arcs and deeper, more motivated villains. I can't see the show working with anything darker than that, though.

You don't need things like swearing, sex or gore in order to make a show 'mature', however. True maturity in a creative work has far more to do with depth of story, character, and cognitive or emotional themes. It can contain darker elements, but they complement, rather than overpower, the themes at play.

Swearing, sex and gore make a creative work look adolescent. Not mature.

• Brohoof 3

I have actually though about that, I think that it could actually be pretty cool if the show could go a little darker at times, or maybe even have a bit more fighting and dark drama in it, though I can't say I would want a lot of sex in gore in it, I am talking at maybe the pg level or pg-13 at the very most, but like another poster said, I am pretty sure the fandom has it covered in most aspects.