Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could a more mature MLP show be feasible?

Azureth

(edited)

Hypothetically, supposing it did happen, I think it could be a good show, but it depends how mature you're thinking. I think what comes to mind when people think of pony things with mature content is the kind of stuff that uses excessive gore, swearing, etc. for shock purposes, usually for a comedic effect, and that I think would make for a really crappy show cause, as Jorguil already stated, a half hour show of pony.mov would be unbearable. But a professionally made show with good plotlines and things that are thought provoking about important topics (rather than just teaching a straight-forward moral lesson) but that is directed towards an older audience could be awesome (I'm thinking particularly of how Adventure Time has elements that make it very appealing for an older audience without ever going above a PG rating). However, I don't think there'd ever be a need to have R-rated kind of stuff in it for it to be directed towards an older audience. If it was going to be a shock-based comedy, then yeah, it would need R-rated stuff, but if I wanted something like that I'd watch South Park or pony.mov. I think what would be cool would be if there was an MLP show with a bit more mature stuff to bring it to more of a PG or maybe PG-13 rating, but I don't think anything more than that would really be improving on the show.

Edited by Cork Top
  • Brohoof 1

I just read the comics to get my fill of the darker tones and dialogue.

I don't want anything like you described...

But if they were to move the rating from YTV to maybe at least the equivalent of PG is, I'd be ecstatic.

Not gonna happen, though. :/

It couldn't happen.  The issue is Hasbro works in franchises and is first and foremost a toy company.  First of all, you'd have the obvious issues with changing the brand identity.  They can't market the franchise as both a mature and children's brand, so if they did make that transition to a mature show, they'd have to find a way to separate all the child fans from that show which just isn't feasible.  They'd wind up not being able to do the toy side of the franchise, which remember-it's a toy brand.  And they'd have to figure out a solution to all the kids watching the mature show that isn't appropriate for them.

Beyond all those huge issues, you have even more obstacles.  They already know MLP as a cartoon appeals to adults and kids, so why would they ditch the kid half of the equation and market only to the adults who were interested in the kids show?  Plus you'd be moving it from Saturday morning to a more expensive prime time or late night slot which means it needs a bigger audience to support it, and as we discussed they dumped the bulk of their audience in the transition.  And on top of that, the Hub which is owned by Hasbro can't run a mature show because it's a kids network, so now they have to get another competing network to buy the show.  

Long story short it would be an expensive hard transition to market to a smaller audience and just wouldn't happen.

Plus, let's be honest here... I wouldn't want it to happen.  If I wanted the show to have violence and sex, I'd just watch a show with violence and sex.  It's not like there's a shortage of smut.  One of the most common reasons I hear people say they watch MLP is because it's quality entertainment that isn't filled with the mature stuff that gets thrown into every show on the air, so it just doesn't make sense to change the show we love for being innocent into just another smut filled adult cartoon.  Anyway that's my two cents on the issue.

• Brohoof 2

I know I complained about how there aren't enough things that eat ponies in the theme of the 80's version, but that was before season four and now there are enough.

Mature as in sex and drugs, no.  Tackling a mature issue, yes.  I think the one where Rarity goes nuts is a little "easy conversion" but the theme of approaching someone who has a problem is pretty important.

I'd still like to see a season about growing up and trying not to grow apart as your life changes.  Or at least a few episodes that transition the CMC into post-pubescent and change their dynamic.  Well, they keep hinting at RD going off to the elites, Rarity keeps having to leave Ponyville to further her agenda and might end up not coming back.  Twilight almost did leave Ponyville.

If they do transition, CMC and their platonic guy-friends might make a good new Main Cast.

Doctor Who is considered a kid's show, to the point where the Doctor is only allowed to cross into the younger SJS Adventures and not into the more mature Torchwood.  There are still some deep stuff but it is child-safe.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

No, more violence does not equal more mature. It also depends on what you mean by adult content

Edited by Megas75

Honestly if we could have more episodes that are like the 2 parter episodes that would help give it a more mature angle. Between Discord, Chrysalis, and Sombra these were top notch scary villains. Since there hasn't been much of that in other episodes it comes across as a much more tame show. The key to a mature show is villains and danger. We haven't seen that much of that in Season 3 or 4 but as the audience that's currently watching MLP grows up (target audience and bronies) it would make sense to add a bit more of that back in. You don't want to scare away the younger audience but you don't want a boring show either. Do we want blood and full on adult themes? No.

What is mature? What would make it more 'mature'? Usually when people say that they're making the explicit not toward violence and/or sexual themes. To be mature requires nether, but that's usually what this idea sort of entails about a "mature" MLP. And no, it won't work. It'll be a cheesy pastiche like some grimmy drimdark sad sadfic on FiMFiction.net. Or worse, something along the lines of Drawn Together, Family Guy or, well, any of the original programming on [adult swim].

If you'd like it to be more "mature", then you're going to have to look into thinking along the lines of:

Ed, Edd and Eddy, had themes dealing with bullying, fitting in, growing up, parental/sibling abuse and how friendship was the heart of the cul-de-sac.

Hey Arnold!, was probably one of the darkest, most mature show for children that ever aired. I could even make a post about Arnold coming to terms with his parents' deaths, Helga's abusive dad and alcoholic mom, being a gay teacher, and so on, but this is MLP Forums.

The Rugrats, again, actually pretty mature and doubly so due to the stories taking place from the point of view of characters who couldn't even converse with the adults of the series.

The Wild Thornberries, a cartoon that actually introduced its demographic to the fact death is a part of life and all actions, no matter their good intent have consequences.

The Avatar series, this one would also require some heavy explaining, but I'm more apt to tell you just to go watch it. You'll end up a better person.

So. Really, I ask you guys again. What is mature?

• Brohoof 3

I doubt Hasbro could ever get away with making MLP more ''mature'' however a MLP-esque show, made by a different company might be possible. I wouldn't be the same however, but I believe that would be the closes we could ever hope to get at this point.

The closest thing you're going to get to being a bit beyond "kiddy" is going to be in comics and novels. They get more leway, then a TV show for some stupid reason...I guess zealot moms only have issues with things on TV being too violent, or dark, or whatever.

If only Hasbro would cut out the C&D's for the really good stuff. Do what Bungee did for RedvsBlue and support us!

I'm going to stop you there, and point out the one HUGE difference between RvB, and what Hasbro has been C&Ding: content. RvB uses the Halo game to make videos yes, and they do set it on Halo maps sure, but none of the content in there is the same as in the games. The plot isn't in any of the Halo games, the characters arn't in the Halo games, and the tone isn't even simular to Halo. Plus, that kind of thing was buffered by Bungie, and Machinima.com, and Microsoft wasn't about to delve into the shitstorm that would cause, shutting down RvB.

As for Hasbro, they had every right, since everything they've C&D was using characters in the show, and even the same tone and concept. Button Mash was pretty much a perfect example, since he was in the show, and even shown playing an arcade. Hasbro hasn't went after anyone who is using an original character, in their own stuff, and they seem very lenient in that regard.

• Brohoof 2

What is mature? What would make it more 'mature'? Usually when people say that they're making the explicit not toward violence and/or sexual themes. To be mature requires nether, but that's usually what this idea sort of entails about a "mature" MLP. And no, it won't work. It'll be a cheesy pastiche like some grimmy drimdark sad sadfic on FiMFiction.net. Or worse, something along the lines of Drawn Together, Family Guy or, well, any of the original programming on [adult swim].

If you'd like it to be more "mature", then you're going to have to look into thinking along the lines of:

Ed, Edd and Eddy, had themes dealing with bullying, fitting in, growing up, parental/sibling abuse and how friendship was the heart of the cul-de-sac.

Hey Arnold!, was probably one of the darkest, most mature show for children that ever aired. I could even make a post about Arnold coming to terms with his parents' deaths, Helga's abusive dad and alcoholic mom, being a gay teacher, and so on, but this is MLP Forums.

The Rugrats, again, actually pretty mature and doubly so due to the stories taking place from the point of view of characters who couldn't even converse with the adults of the series.

The Wild Thornberries, a cartoon that actually introduced its demographic to the fact death is a part of life and all actions, no matter their good intent have consequences.

The Avatar series, this one would also require some heavy explaining, but I'm more apt to tell you just to go watch it. You'll end up a better person.

So. Really, I ask you guys again. What is mature?

My opinion of Wild Thornberries was solidified in the first episode I watched... where they were dealing with thin-air brain-problems and I didn't question that the little girl was talking to a llama.  I still haven't watched a lot of episodes, but that thing with the turtles opens up some mature possibilities.  Not explicit, but being wise enough to understand things far beyond your understanding or comfort zone.

Avatar cartoon is only not-anime because of where it was made, original language, producers, everything except that thing you can't point to.

The rest of the examples are "I barely know because it only cost an extra few bucks to get a third crt hooked up to cable and I like noise."  Though Ed, Ed, Ed sounded like a funnier version of "Life with Louie" which sounded like "Christmas Story: I want a gun"  Basically, distilled "stories from when I was growing up."

a full-on MLP show with mature/adult content

Going to have to stop you there, bro. I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen.

Not to sound mean but, why would you want it to? Between the show and the fandom, you pretty much have every type of entertainment there can be with MLP. :)

The closest thing you're going to get to being a bit beyond "kiddy" is going to be in comics and novels. They get more leway, then a TV show for some stupid reason...I guess zealot moms only have issues with things on TV being too violent, or dark, or whatever.

I'm going to stop you there, and point out the one HUGE difference between RvB, and what Hasbro has been C&Ding: content. RvB uses the Halo game to make videos yes, and they do set it on Halo maps sure, but none of the content in there is the same as in the games. The plot isn't in any of the Halo games, the characters arn't in the Halo games, and the tone isn't even simular to Halo. Plus, that kind of thing was buffered by Bungie, and Machinima.com, and Microsoft wasn't about to delve into the shitstorm that would cause, shutting down RvB.

As for Hasbro, they had every right, since everything they've C&D was using characters in the show, and even the same tone and concept. Button Mash was pretty much a perfect example, since he was in the show, and even shown playing an arcade. Hasbro hasn't went after anyone who is using an original character, in their own stuff, and they seem very lenient in that regard.

Woah there. I think you got me a little confused with some other opinionated folks.

What you brought up with Bungee is a very good point I hadn't even considered.

However, you misunderstand me. I 100% sympathise with you and totally get why Hasbro did what they did. Do I like it? No. Do I accept and understand it? Yes.

I just believe that there could have been a compromise or something, a better way in which everyone wins, though admittedly this is probably an unrealistic Pipedream, but I have my fantasies of a better day.

An MLP spin-off doesn't necessarily have to have sex and violence to be more "mature", it could just have more complex stories skewed towards a slightly older audience. That I could see happening at some point if the show stays as successful as it is.

In fact it technically has already happened with Equestria Girls which is targeted at a slightly older audience, but only by a few years.

As well as the comics, The serious story arcs tend to be a lot darker and deal with more mature themes than the show does. 

I got into MLP for many reasons. One reason being I was tired of all the "adult" cartoons like Family Guy, American Dad or South Park. Same lame toilet humor, excessive swearing, sexual references and needless violence.. If MLP was an adult cartoon, I probably wouldn't watch it. Heck,I found the Pony.MOV cartoons hard to watch. I'm not fond of toilet humor....it's used for cheap laughs.

Now, if by adult you mean a bit more dramatic like Disney stuff, then maybe. 

Otherwise, I like it the way it is. There's a reason I'm still in the fandom.

Though Ed, Ed, Ed sounded like a funnier version of "Life with Louie" which sounded like "Christmas Story: I want a gun"  Basically, distilled "stories from when I was growing up."

Actually, that's EXACTLY what Ed, Edd and Eddy is. The whole series is a bunch of stories about the creator's experiences growing up in another country. 

• Brohoof 1

Actually, that's EXACTLY what Ed, Edd and Eddy is. The whole series is a bunch of stories about the creator's experiences growing up in another country. 

Another country?  I thought that they were residents of a keyhole subdivision like that "Bobby" cartoon.  Or were you not American?  I've walked through a suburb in England... so Australia, military base, second language, or plausible explanation.

Another country?  I thought that they were residents of a keyhole subdivision like that "Bobby" cartoon.

Danny Antonucci is the son of Italian immigrants to Canada. Much of the humor that comes from Rolf was a representation of his "old country", Italy and how much different his family was from the rest of the Canadians. The cul-de-sac the children lived in was basically the neighborhood he grew up in.

This is merely conjecture from what I've heard from interviews and such, but I find it kind of sad that it was said that one of the reasons you never see any adults in the series is because he could hardly remember them being there.

• Brohoof 1

• 7 years later...

I think that a slightly more mature show could appear in the future but as for an adult version of MLP, that's definitely not going to happen. There would be a lot of angry parents if such a thing existed. Just imagine a little girl finding it and thinking that it's just an innocent MLP cartoon, and watches scenes with gore and sex. The reason FIM is so beloved by many is because it is an innocent cartoon with no mature content and it can appeal to anyone, even if they are not a little girl.