Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Banners. How do they work?

Creamy Arty

Confusion has abounded since the implementation of the new theme. Enough confusion that we've seen a substantial decrease in banner submissions, and an appreciable increase in "how do i banner?" and "whaaaaa?" Even from those who have regularly contributed in the past. Let's try to clear up any confusion that may linger with our regulars and any newbies who may be interested in trying their hand at making one for the first time. I tried to keep this as short and simple as I could because it's really not a complicated process. If you find yourself still confused about something by the end, just post whatever's on your mind.

Let's take our banner as of this post, for example:

img-2570546-1-I2G6zdF.png

Its dimensions are 999 x 254 (recommended is 1000 x 255). They don't have to be exactly that size, but one can see that it fits up there quite nicely. Use this as a starting point and play around with it a bit. It also has a transparent background. This is desirable when possible as it'll help keep the banner from appearing too obtrusive, as a rectangle hanging there in space can look a little awkward. Your individual style or the nature of the banner you're cobbling together may not be suitable for a transparency, and that's fine. Again, this is just a best practice that fits the bill more often than not. Your discretion ultimately prevails.

We don't have rigid requirements for the banner, so use your imagination. :lol:

Once you've finished placing the finishing touches on your masterpiece, fire it to at least one of the administrators, preferably all of them, as they're the only ones capable of making the change. After they've had a look at all submissions and had a chance to select one, it'll get tossed up there shortly.

And that's it. Not much to it aside from the actual work of making a banner. :squee:

• Brohoof 32

I think I've got it.

V4PaIl3.jpg

The single greatest bannur of all tiem. I know, the glory takes a while to soak in. Also it's 999 x 523 because fight da system

Can I be cool yet?

• Brohoof 6

Banners are used to communicate to onlookers some message by printing text or images on a canvas and then hanging that canvas high at some height.

Silly Artemis, doesn't know how a banner works. You silly.

• Brohoof 2

@@Artemis,

What about the old theme? I'm still currently using that and I still have the Flutter Bat Banner, would you still be accepting submissions for that or no?

It doesn't look like that theme even still exists. :S

Banners work just as magnets do, miracles.

Anyway, I made a banner for the site. It's really good, I promise. I spent months making this. Those photoshop classes I took really paid off.

qncCbnh.png

Edited by Rivendare
  • Brohoof 18

@@Artemis,

What about the old theme? I'm still currently using that and I still have the Flutter Bat Banner, would you still be accepting submissions for that or no?

It doesn't look like that theme even still exists. :S

The option to switch back to the old theme once at the new theme is no longer avaliable. We do not plan on continuing the old theme, sorry to say.

• Brohoof 1

*insert speech of triumph here for creating the last banner for the old theme*

Anyway, yay, tutorial for banners. Hopefully I can actually make a few decent ones.

I might be interested.

What is the minimum size?

Because I have a few that would look epic up there, but they're all 500x500.

I could probably crop some.

There isn't really a minimum size, so long as it fits reasonably well. Using Chrome, you can right-click the banner and use the inspect element function to have a look at the HTML to find the URL of the current banner.

post-6104-0-36292700-1398608299_thumb.png

Upload the one you're working on to an image hosting service like imgur and swap out that URL to see what it would look like with your banner. Hopefully that'll help you determine if any more adjustments need to be made.

It's been ages since I've used another browser for more than a few seconds, so I can't help you out with any others.  :derp:

I'm liking this whole banner thing... 3 Cheers for Artemis!    ;)

I appreciate the sentiment, but this really has nothing to do with me. :P

• Brohoof 1

@@Artemis,

Artemis, I now learned how to play with Inspect Element because of this post.

I am not sure whether you should be scared or proud.

• Brohoof 1

This is good news! Submitting my banner ASAP!

By the way, that's a pretty nice avatar you have going on there, @Artemis.   ;)

Edited by Adorkable

Enough confusion that we've seen a substantial decrease in banner submissions

In my opinion the quality of banners has dropped recently, so I'm glad to see this tutorial. Maybe I'll try my best with making some banner in some near future, since I doodle with vectoring ponies in Inkscape recently.

I guess that there are some requirements / guidelines about what should be there on the banner? E.g. that there should be the title text ("MLP Forums"), and at least one pony visible? (I suppose the more ponies the better, but not to overdo it ;)). Or at least some scenery related to MLP:FiM. Am I right? Are OCs allowed?

Edited by SasQ

Very nice!  Glad to see the banner dimensions have been increased; it'll be real interesting to see some of the later banners once artists around here get used to the new dimensions.  :muffins:

• Brohoof 1

I guess that there are some requirements / guidelines about what should be there on the banner? E.g. that there should be the title text ("MLP Forums"), and at least one pony visible? (I suppose the more ponies the better, but not to overdo it ;)). Or at least some scenery related to MLP:FiM. Am I right? Are OCs allowed?

The name of our site, "MLP Forums", should be in there somewhere, and the design should at least tangentially be related to ponies. No need to force it - something scenic, or abstract, is probably acceptable as long as it's still recognizably pony-centric.

If you want to put an OC in the banner, I'd ask the admins who you're planning to use and let them approve it.

• Brohoof 3

• 1 month later...

would you be so kind as to tell me how to make a photo as your signature??????????????

there is no upload button, and the picture of the tree on the toolbar is BROKEN! it wont let me press "okay"

would you be so kind as to tell me how to make a photo as your signature??????????????

there is no upload button, and the picture of the tree on the toolbar is BROKEN! it wont let me press "okay"

paste it onto your signature

paste it onto your signature

nevermind this comment... how do they work?