Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How did girls start to love ponies and horses?

HorsesandMOARGaloar

Well, I guess it started with the legends of how virgin maidens could ride unicorns. Unicorns were the gateway drug into ponies and horses  :D

Edited by Pegasus
  • Brohoof 2

Sometimes what is "manly" and "girly" changes, the color pink for example used to be considered a boys color. Way back when a horse was a valuable tool for a warrior as they were used as primitive tanks as well as methods of transportation which made them be considered "manly". Of course once horses no longer became an integral part of the warrior culture they likely became appreciate for their ascetic beauty.

• Brohoof 1

Because once they made a pink horse girls were forced to love it.

True, but what social conditions caused that to happen? The My Little Pony franchise actually started out as My Pretty Pony which featured much more realistic horse dolls, Hasbro eventually bought it out changed the name to My Little Pony and launched the G1 toyline, specials and eventually the cartoon series so it is clear that sometimes before pink pony toys became popular that horses became popular with young girls. I think my point about horses no longer being relegated to the "manly" warrior culture because they are no longer tools of war probably has much to do with it.

You know what's hot for us ladies?

This:

Centaur__The_Forest_Lord_by_equineRenais

But why do us girls really like horses, well like somepony else said, virgian woman and unicorns, being able to ride such a magical creature... And in a way horses are magical. They are an elegant, beautiful if not wild animal that has a strange bondage to us humans that we just can't explain.

I remeber the first time I galloped on a horse, sure I've had horse riding lessons, but to be free to ride a horse the way I wanted... i remember it so clearly. I was riding an old mare, and she was eagered to get to our location, before I knew she and I were flying up a hill in full gallop... I might as well been riding Pegasus...it felt like we were flying, an incredible feeling... But when I'm not riding a horse, I'm closly bonding with them, like you would with a dog...they can be so gentle and easy to read, and the connection we share is nothing short of magical.

• Brohoof 2

Sometimes what is "manly" and "girly" changes, the color pink for example used to be considered a boys color.

Nods. The Nazi's turned pink into a color associated with homosexuality.

I have no hard evidence to add to the horse/pony discussion other than to say that I suspect that the transition in the USmay have been a post WW2 issue. I mean, Teddy Roosevelt sure as hell didn't believe horses were just for girls. Neither did most of the literary writers, and media in the first half of the 20th century. I would wager that there was a gradual commercial transition, maybe marketing excess horses toys to girls when war and space toys replaced cowboys in the 50's and 60's.

• Brohoof 2

Because it's the biggest piece of meat they are ever gunna get between their legs.

Huuheuheue, joking aside it is because of marketing. Anything horse or pony related is almost in defiantly market towards girls or young women.

• Brohoof 1

It's probably because of horses and ponies being marketed toward them so much.

I don't like real horses, I think they are kind of creepy.

I have to agree with this. 

I think it's also because of the way they're portrayed. 

• Brohoof 1

From what i can see of it, horses were "manly" when they were tools and the main means of human transportation. Horses were a symbol of wealth and freedom before they were replaced by cars (which are now considered manly i might add).

Horses slowly transitioned from being useful to being something for humans to take care of, so now they fit the "feminine" caretaker role, for girls to clean and feed and brush their pretty manes. It all goes back to the gender norms enforced by modern western society :/

• Brohoof 2

I don't like real horses, I think they are kind of creepy.

*Gasp* I'll just pretend that didn't hurt!

I don't really know, but I'd be willing to bet that it was just the marketing department taking advantage of the "Majestic White Ponies" concept.

Here is the real mystery:

Little girls love unicorns

post-20329-0-23578100-1399030935_thumb.jpg

They also love dolphins

post-20329-0-77901100-1399031097_thumb.jpg

So why don't they love narwhals?

post-20329-0-53367000-1399031206_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1