Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If you HAD TO remove one emotion, what would it be?

Delirium

Hate is quite broad and if I hate a certain style of clothes or media then I should be able to express that.

Well, you could still express your dislike for these things, just not hate them. Dislike and hate are two different animals, hate is blind and unreasonable.

I would be pretty cool with hate being gone... seeing that it only creates misery, probably one of the only emotions that exclusively does so. But maybe im selfish because i want to remove hate, i hate very, very few things. So removing it would not affect me much. :lol:

Anger/Hate, it's more harmful than it is helpful.  Since jealousy is kind of a sub-part of anger, that too  :D

Whereas pain and fear are nuisances, they're still important to have.

What do I gain by being angry?  

Enemies, stress, etc.

then stress leads to health problems..  :blink:

well think about this before you guys say Hate.

without hate, what do we base love or appreciation on? It's a common paradox. 1 is ONE MORE THAN 0, and 2 is ONE MORE THAN 1. remove any number, and the entire number line collapses. same with emotions. Dislike is ONE MORE THAN hate, desire is ONE MORE THAN Dislike. get my point?

well think about this before you guys say Hate.

without hate, what do we base love or appreciation on?

Well, without hate there is still dislike, which is not nearly as destructive. And it's not if you stop loving something or someone if you are incapable of hating.

It's a common paradox. 1 is ONE MORE THAN 0, and 2 is ONE MORE THAN 1. remove any number, and the entire number line collapses. same with emotions. Dislike is ONE MORE THAN hate, desire is ONE MORE THAN Dislike. get my point?

Not really... Do you mean that emotions build up on each other? But what if hate is not the root of the tree, but the top. You cut the upmost branch of the tree and nothing collapses, because that branch is not supporting the whole thing. Your example only works if every other emotion has its roots in hate.

But there is no such pyramid like you describe in the first place.

Hate... No question for me, it would be hate. Hate has never done anything good.

Without hate, I fear that the strength of love would be lessened. Less special. Hate for the sake of hate is terrible, but hate for the sake of love is different. I'm allowed to hate someone who killed my friend for instance.

I would get rid of jealousy, now that is a hurtful, useless emotion.

Well, without hate there is still dislike, which is not nearly as destructive. And it's not if you stop loving something or someone if you are incapable of hating.

Not really... Do you mean that emotions build up on each other? But what if hate is not the root of the tree, but the top. You cut the upmost branch of the tree and nothing collapses, because that branch is not supporting the whole thing. Your example only works if every other emotion has its roots in hate.

But there is no such pyramid like you describe in the first place.

there is, I just didn't describe it right... let me try again.

if EVERYONE in the world had the same IQ, what would we base Stupidity and Geniusness on? same with emotions. Remove hate, and you have to remove Love as well, as Love is the opposite of Hate. without Hate, we have nothing to base Love on, and vise versa. it may not effect OTHER emotions, but it WOULD affect it's opposite.

• Brohoof 1

Pride.  IT is good, until it is bad.  And then it is the worst of all emotions.

Pride shows off your sense of achievement.  But yet, for those who are of a high social status, it can also raise the ego of any one man.  It can prevent you from seeing the wrong you have done, from seeing the obstacles that get in your way, or from getting the help you need.  And pride doesn't just affect the inflicted.  It can affect people around you, especially those who are humble.

Anger. While there are other debilitating emotions such as sorrow and fear, anger is usually the worst for me. I often feel so horrible after my anger calms and I hate myself for it.

Although strangely enough I don't feel anger that often anymore. When I was a kid, anger was a huge deal. Nowadays I'm lucky to feel anger once every few months.

It still sucks though. When I do get angry it's very intense.

Edited by Discordian

Insecurity...I want to feel like I belong here. Most of the time I see someone, I usually wish I had something of theirs, whether it be their face, hair, or personality. I constantly worry if I look good in front of him/her. Like seeing myself through their eyes.

You cannot just remove an emotion as they are all linked and are the core of people. I would go for Love as it is the least essential because it is not found in everyday life...

That's not true! Don't you love your family and friends? Don't you love the life you have? Love doesn't have to be limited to a girlfriend/boyfriend. You can love anyone! :)

Possibly jealousy, or anger. Both are 100% unnecessary. Some people may say that without anger, we'll accept anything, but that's where common sense and morals come in. One can be at peace and still call people out on BS. They'll just be kinder about it :)

Stress: not stressed about work or shores, butstressed about bad stuff I've done, or I guess, when I have a close friend feeling bad or feels bad about me. I get indifferent about anything I have to do and my productivity is in a hole.

Also fear: it keeps me from succeeding. Sure it's good when it keeps you safe, but sometimes, you've got to take risks. Living means risking.

None. Every emotion is there for a good reason.

The issue, is knowing how to put those emotions in their appropriate place and how to deal with them.

Even hatred. I don't have to hate a person, but that's no reason for me to not hate what they DO, when what they do is criminal and abominable.

• Brohoof 1

I second sadness. Fear and anxiety are necessary emotions, in many cases. But hopelessness... that's something different. That never accomplishes anything.