• Carpooling/General Passenger
    • Bicycle/Alt
    • Walking
  3. 3. Age Group

• Under 16
    • 16-25
    • 26-35
    • 36+

As a general rule, I love to drive. Roll down the windows on an empty back-country road, put some good music on, and just cruise. It's really quite fun and relaxing. However, if I'm driving around other people, that's 90% of the time, I tend to get rather cross rather quickly. It isn't the driving bit I get miffed about, but rather the way others drive. I cannot stand other people's driving. Fifteen minutes on the road, at least around where I live, would lead any person to the undeniable conclusion that everyone around them is completely brain-dead.

For example, a couple weeks ago I was sitting next to this woman at a stoplight. Either this woman had somewhere she really thought she needed to be, or she was just a dumbass. I'm gonna put my money on the latter... Anyway, we were both stopped, we're the first cars at the light, and she's getting impatient or something and she begins to creep forward. She creeps about a foot, and stops. Then she creeps another foot, and another, and another, until she's actually sitting in the middle of the intersection holding up traffic. I'm just sitting there thinking "How could you possibly think that's okay?". For someone with such a low tolerance of stupidity as I, things such as these are infinitely maddening. But as I said, that's other people, not the actual action of driving.

• Brohoof 3

I can't / don't drive and likely never will.  There was one ill-fated attempt way back when I was essentially a different person.  I panicked upon spotting another vehicle on the road and went into a ditch.  I later realized that I would probably inadvertently kill EVERYONE were I ever to find myself behind the wheel xD.

When I turned 16, I was actually pretty scared about driving. So, I avoided taking the driving class at my high school until I turned 18.

My parents forced me to go to the DMV & get my license.

Today, I don't know why I was so scared of driving. It's not scary at all, and it can be fun.

Now, I was in a bad car accident before (the truck flipped 3 times and landed upside down) and I didn't go near a vehicle for a year after that.

However, I'm over that now, and I drive all the time with no problem.

• Brohoof 1

I absolutely love to drive! It makes me feel so free and fast :)

Unfortunately I don't have a car atm, but should get one in summer.

Absolutely! Let's see, in the past 6 years I've driven almost 80,000 miles. I also live in an area where people like to show off and try to race their big trucks and it gives me plenty of chances to show them what a fast car actually is. Unfortunately, my car is restricted to 120mph but it's all on how fast I get there that makes it fun (I do not condone street racing, wear a seatbelt and obey traffic laws). I'm also a bit crazy when I drive though too, I drive through rainstorms and blizzards like it's not even there and that tends to freak people out a bit. But when I'm driving somewhere with somebody is one of the only times that I open up and talk about stuff so if I let somebody ride with me, then I really trust that person

• 4 weeks later...

No - I hate driving.

I'm a licensed driver without a vehicle, and I still prefer to be driven places by my grandmother - I'm terrified behind the wheel. Car crashes are often fatal, and I want to live out whatever life I have left in me and then die peacefully, not in a fiery blaze of rubber and steel.

I'll probably just ride a bike around when I get older, if that is a possibility :D

(edited)

I loathe driving because everyone in this stinking country (England) absolutely cannot drive for toffee. I'd be safer driving in a goddamn wartorn African country being shot at by child soldiers than driving on the average motorway here. It's even worse in the towns and cities where you need to have the alertness and eyes of a goddamn eagle to avoid running over any stupid little imbecilic goddamn children, because they run out from behind cars and stuff. Same with the pedestrians who slowly lumber out onto the road and don't even speed up when your car, which could turn their bodies into twitching piles of broken bones, approaches. Not to mention people who cut across lanes at the last moment, almost wiping you out, and don't get me started on the goddamn lorry, truck and van drivers who think they own the road. I'm thinking of going through all the necessary loopholes to purchase a hunting rifle and stow it in my car for the sole purpose of cracking off a shot at the average lorry driver.

I'd rather have a horse. That way I can carry a saber and re-enact the Charge of the Light Brigade whenever a goddamn pedestrian decides they won't move their fragile carcasses out of my way when i'm heading towards them.

Edited by George Formby
  • Brohoof 2

Not especially. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that I'm wielding a 5000 pound hunk of mostly-metal capable of moving 7 times faster than any human has on foot. I used to be terrified of driving but I've gotten more used to it. I'd still rather take a bike though...

(edited)

Edited by Darky

Just as the title says, "Do you like driving?" I absolutely love driving! I'll drive every chance I get now that I got my permit. :D Are you comfortable driving? I am very comfortable when I drive, it's like a second nature to me. :P

Got your permit huh? I got my drivers license like two weeks ago.

Anyway, me personally, meh its okay. Im not a fan of driving around with all of the dumbasses that are habiting the road. I absolutely hate stupid drivers. I catch enough of those morons at my highschool alone.

But my truck gets me where i need to be. School, work, etc. as long as im alive, i must do them.

Gemini, becareful and please pay attention to whats around you. You never know when someone is gonna cut infront of you, or tailgate you.. Watch for road ragers too. Those suckers can get on your nerves. And watch for people on their phone because someone nearly hit me on my schools parking lot. They were cutting through the lot with cars around which is a big no no and the bitch was on her phone which is also a big no no in Texas.

• Brohoof 1

I love driving, especally on those back country roads out in the middle of nowhere, roll down the window and enjoy the hot summer wind in your face along with the smell of freshly mowed grass, man, nothing else beats it I tell you what! :yay:

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

It's a love-hate relationship. I used to be terrified of driving, but having to drive daily in some high-traffic areas has toughened me up. That being said, I don't drive like a moron. I consider myself pretty attentive, I follow the speed limit when it's safe to do so and I'm not very aggressive. I signal properly and I know how to properly use a roundabout.

That being said, other drivers really make me mad. I hate the over aggressive jerks that put their and my own lives in danger just to make it home 3 minutes sooner. I also hate the frightened ones because they're both dangerous and annoying. Requiring a roundabout to be 100% empty before entering, going 20 under the limit in a high traffic area, casually driving in the passing lane, slamming on the brakes at a changing intesection with extremely little braking distance...

Anyway, driving isn't as difficult as these idiots make it seem. You just need to keep your witts about you, know your car's capabilities and be observant. Driving itself is fine and even a bit fun, I just wish the others could figure it out.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

You haven't driven until you are 80 mph in rush hour traffic with your lights blinking sirens blasting your patient in the back of the truck toilet bowling and the nearest hospital is still 45 minutes away... what a blast... :okiedokielokie:

(edited)

I live for the road, it clears my mind and spirit, My patron St. is St. Christopher, the saint of travel and protection....heavy traffic doesn't even bother me, that just means i get extra time driving my baby :)

Edited by RNgineer
  • Brohoof 1

I love driving, especally on those back country roads out in the middle of nowhere, roll down the window and enjoy the hot summer wind in your face along with the smell of freshly mowed grass, man, nothing else beats it I tell you what! :yay:

Even though I don't like the smell of freshly mowed grass, I have to agree with you. :P

You haven't driven until you are 80 mph in rush hour traffic with your lights blinking sirens blasting your patient in the back of the truck toilet bowling and the nearest hospital is still 45 minutes away... what a blast... :okiedokielokie:

Lol, I've driven in San Antonio, Texas and that's about as crazy as it gets other than Houston or Austin. :P

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

It really depends. I don't like backing up or parking. Driving alone is better for me, so then I don't get distracted or criticized for how I drive. In the snow it's all about going 20 mph and being careful to not slide off the road, which provides a nice technical challenge, but doesn't really give me that fun zing. I'll always park in the overflow parking wherever I go too, so I don't have to back up or deal with other cars. It is way easier and no one else parks that far out, so I don't have to worry about finding where I parked or getting hit by other drivers. I've been to Boston and the driving there was terrible, where we went about 2 mph since there was so much traffic. I didn't like that at all. I'll happily bicycle around really.

Edited by Vondulator
  • Brohoof 1

No. I don't drive because it's dangerous for me to. I'd probably end up crashing into a tree, and killing myself.

(I'm Narcoleptic, so I'd fall asleep at the wheel randomly. Don't worry though. I've never actually driven before, and I don't intend to drive in the future.)

• Brohoof 1