Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Life Hacks that you like to use.

SkyDream

(edited)

I love topics like this. Post your favorite little things that make life a little easier.

1) Bread Clips (that you can color in with permanent marker) really help identify wires at their source. It's particularly helpful to identify your mouse or keyboard on the back of your computer, or the beginnings of cables in an outlet strip.

2) Use Post-Its to catch dust. I work in a Hardware store, and as such I find neat little projects around the house to make life a little easier. I mostly install brackets for shelves quite often. But the dust does get to be a bit irksome, and having a post-it to catch the dust right underneath the drill point makes cleanup a little easier. It also helps to fold in the sides just a bit to make a "cup" to catch it so it doesn't spill over the sides.

3) Keep some masking tape around. It's pretty darn handy. It serves the function of painter's tape when you're redoing the silicone around your bathtub.

4) Not really a "life hack" but I do this all the time because I'm kinda paranoid. On an internet forum, just like this, actually, when you type out a post, no matter how long, you should do a Ctrl+A then a Ctrl+C to highlight your entire post and copy it. In case somehow your post doesn't go through, you won't lose anything, and you can just paste it back into the text entry field. Eventually it becomes as automatic as Ctrl-S in a word document. Hey, you never know.

Post some! :D

Edited by SkyDream
  • Brohoof 1

Stop sign out in the middle of nowhere in the country when I can clearly see that their is nothing coming, keep on going! :P

stop-sign.jpg

(edited)

I actually came up with this one myself. 

I'm a college student and I live in an apartment that doesn't do washers and dryers. So I have to keep a pretty healthy stock of quarters on hand so I can pay for washers and dryers at the laundromat. That can be an organizational nightmare sometimes. So one afternoon, I got the bright idea of using old medicine bottles to keep my quarters in there. And lo and behold, these medicine bottles I have will hold exactly $10 in quarters! :D

post-6322-0-32745200-1399234212_thumb.jpg

So yeah. 

Old medicine bottle = reusable quarter roller

1. Auxillary cables for hands-free driving: I do this in my car all of the time. It indeed saves lives and also makes you avoid getting a ticket

In Oklahoma we don't actually have a law whereby you get a ticket for not using a hands free device while driving. But yeah, I do the same thing. It's kinda why I bought a new radio for my car last year. I also have a mount where I can stick my phone to the windshield. Much easier and safer to use :)

Edited by Space Woona
  • Brohoof 4

I use dish soap and lukewarm water to clean glasses. It's debatable whether or not this is good for the glasses, but I haven't noticed a decrease in quality and I've been doing this with them since day 1. The sprays I've used in the past are downright awful and either require me to scrub my lenses for about 10 minutes or leave my glasses in a more smudged condition than they started.

I'm also using a chopstick dowel right now to extend the life expectency of my desk. The chopstick was enough for a while, but this desk isn't going to hold together for much more. I've adapted the design to include a piece of string and tape to hold everything together just a bit longer. I'll replace it soon like in a couple of weeks, but not yet.

I use dish soap and lukewarm water to clean glasses

At first, I thought you meant cleaning glasses as in the kind you drink from. Like, I thought, "Hold on...that's what you're supposed to use for your dishes...dish soap!" Bahahaha! :D

I get it now.

Anyway, I've always ever used my breath and my shirt to clean mine off. I've had the same standard lenses (there's nothing special about them...they're just run of the mill lenses) for nearly 2 years and they're not scratched badly for being 2 years old.  Especially when you consider the amount of yard work I've done in them.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

... There have been some exceedingly bizarre replies to this thread so far. I'm not at all sure what to think right now.

I keep all of my coins in snack-sized ziploc bags for sorting, rather than a plastic container which might crack and fragment, since I'd be keeping coins in my pocket, and it's a rough-and-tumble world out there. I still need to find a coinstar or something.

Edited by SkyDream

When taking a multiple choice test on those scan sheets, rub chapstick on the side of the paper. The residue will prevent the scanner from marking your answers wrong (:

Hahahaha! I'm about to graduate college! I don't need to do anything to get myself kicked out less than a week from graduation!

• Brohoof 2

When taking a multiple choice test on those scan sheets, rub chapstick on the side of the paper. The residue will prevent the scanner from marking your answers wrong (:

I'll probably try this for my final Monday. :P

This one time, someone serving barbecue asked me if I wanted brisket or sausage. I said both, so he gave me brisket my mistake. When I told him I wanted both, I got sausage and he didn't take back some of the brisket. I felt pleased :squee:.