Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Selfies: What Do You Think Of Them?

DukeofCanterlot

Selfies should be done rarely, and not in the bathroom mirror. Do it in front of a landmark or place few people go to. THEN it's okay.

• Brohoof 2

I'm kinda annoyed with whole selfie meme.  When I look through my eHarmony matches, every single photo is a blurry selfie where they just stand in their bathroom and snap a picture of the f*ckin mirror.  You can hardly even tell what they look like.  Nobody seems to care enough to actually pose for a picture and make it look decent.  All of my profile pics are either nice pictures that someone took of me, or ones where I posed, used a tripod, set up some nice lighting, etc.  The whole selfie fad just irritates me because it seems to have made it "cool" to take crappy pictures.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly before selfies were a big fad, I used to think that people who took them and posted them on social networks probably didn't have any friends to take pictures of them..now I know better. The idiots who take them tend to hang out in their own groups.

I saw a really good selfie and that was in "Pinkie Apple Pie". Duck face for the win.

• Brohoof 2

I don't really get selfies, it's just how interesting is ones face? People may already know how you look and if they didn't a selfie wouldn't be the best way to make first impressions. I don't know, honestly I don't care about selfies but do think they're kind of dumb.

• Brohoof 1

I don't understand why anyone would have an issue with this. It's just a picture of yourself. Regardless of what people use it for their purpose is the same as any other picture.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I personally abhor selfies. They're the most prominent symbol of vanity in modern society. I agree that there are some times where they are acceptable, i.e. when you've achieved something extraordinary which can be shown through a selfie (climbing a mountain for example) or had a body transformation. However, most people do them as a way of saying "OMG look at me". It's very annoying.

Although, maybe I'm just bitter that I can't take a good selfie :P

Edited by RainboomCrash
  • Brohoof 1

I've been doing selfies since I was about 12 years old, but I'd certainly never take a picture of it. No one wants to see that.

• Brohoof 1

I'm okay with people taking selfies, if that's how you like to use your electronic devices then good for you. What bothers me is when they post every picture on Facebook and I get to see every last one. Also, when people stop in the middle of what they're doing just to take a photo of themselves drives me nutty!

• Brohoof 1

I'm okay with people taking selfies, if that's how you like to use your electronic devices then good for you. What bothers me is when they post every picture on Facebook and I get to see every last one. Also, when people stop in the middle of what they're doing just to take a photo of themselves drives me nutty!

I'm sure something is wrong with your picture... Isn't it upside down? >_>

I mean... Let's take photos while driving a car!! *boom*

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Edited by Darky

I think they're kind of funny.

Except the kind who are taken by people who just want attention, that's just no good. :/

• Brohoof 1

I would like to schedule a selfie to post after my death so I could freak everyone out. Overall, selfies aren't that bad...

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

As I actively travel in foreign countries I often find myself in picturesque or iconic locations...with that said I hate selfies with a burning passion. It's not difficult to ask other people to shoot a photo for you! You don't even need to speak a common language to get the message across! The only issue is you leave it up to their photography skills but again, it's not hard to just ask someone else...seems to me selfies are mostly reserved for your textbook camwhore; I don't see any place for them.

Edited by K.K. Slider
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yeah... I don't like selfies either. I've never taken a selfie since I don't like to take pictures of myself. I don't mind if people do like to take some selfies, but I think some people have gone overboard with it :/

Edited by SparklingSwirls
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

eh, i like them sometimes. i like to do selfies, not because i want people to give sympathy, or whatever it was, just because i haven't got anything really interesting (so sad, i know) to put up on my instagram so i take pictures of myself when bored. plus, i always look AWFUL in pictures, and selfies (usually) look better.

PRODUCT PLACEMENT: my instagram is cuzimsasha. :P

Edited by Wild Star
  • Brohoof 1

Don't get me wrong, I love an occasional (as in once every 2 to 3 months) self presentational portrait, but when Americans dumb it down to "selfies" to post pictures of themselves with captions such as, "Omg i'm so ugly" every 5 minutes, it gets to a ridiculous point in which I want to rip my eyes out with forks rather than bare the low intelligence society it has become. 

• Brohoof 3

I don't have a lot against taking selfies, since I'm also myself guilty of doing it. But I think it can get annoying, when you're trying to have a serious conversation or enjoying a afternoon at a cafe. 

I also think it varies by how many selfies a person takes, because if it's a few I don't mind, but if it's all the time, there's a big chance I find it freaking annoying.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not against taking selfies so long as the people don't look that narcissistic when they take the pic. In most cases, they take so many they make themselves look so without trying.

• Brohoof 1

I think of it just as a trend of today. Personally, I dont think its a bad thing at all, like every trend, it has its time and then gets replaced with something else just as stupid. Selfies are just another way to take a picture. Or how I primarily use them, as a means of communication (using snapchat) adding a selfie with the text just adds more possibility and emotion to communicating. I think its a plus in terms of that! As far as those two stories, people who would do those kinds of things would be doing something as cruel as that anyway. Selfie trend or not. But as this is coming from a 17 yo, its probably really biased

• Brohoof 1