Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Selfies: What Do You Think Of Them?

DukeofCanterlot

Hey. This is my opinion. I just don't like when people fansize about it. They act like it's popular to say "selfie". That's all I was trying to say. I don't appreciate how you said I didn't find enjoyment in things. It's my own damn opinion.

I didn't say it wasn't your opinion, and I wasn't directly attacking your opinion. I was questioning it. I didn't say you "don't find enjoyment in things," I was making a general statement.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the people who obsess over them are a bit silly, but otherwise harmless so long as it isn't distracting you from your studies or becomes a safety hazard.

I don't do them and I'm not on most social networks. I have a very dusty unused twitter (with no followers, following or tweets) and that's about it. but I killed my Facebook and Myspace years ago, so I don't really see them.

Edited by DexterousWings

For me selfies are just to try and get attention and has no purpose but to see if they can get self confidence boost.

It's pointless wtf is the point with selfies, what? So you can see which fcking image you like the best after taking 50 of them and think that no of them are good but posts one anyways. I find that it's only just to make faces which is very overused. Selfies with celebrities? Well good for you I don't care.

And wtb is with the highway 105 case thing? Oh it's something called "extreme" selfies. It's very stupid like planking but this case is extremely disrespectful and mostly likely scary for the sucidal Man and for the police who are trying to get him away from the bridge or where ever he was.

So to me selfies are pointless but you have to accept or you are just called old fashioned or "so 90s kid". It's so annoying about how many selfies there are. I don't care about your day I don't care what you do everyday and I certainly don't care about who you are with or how much you drink at the club.

Don't find anything wrong with them.

It's just a picture taken of yourself, Is this even worth discussing?

>Example: Pretty girl posts a pic of herself with the "I am so ugly, LOL" caption with the expectation that people will respond, "No, you're so beautiful. Don't say that about yourself."...

Doesn't have anything to do with the 'selfie', Just the bitch trying to attention whore.

I don't see nothing wrong with them. A lot of people do them, whether you do a lot of them or a few.

Narcissism? Maybe if you take like 100 per day and post constantly every few minutes, yes, but maybe one or two every few weeks, its not bad. And it depends. Some people post selfies for attention and tend of have naughty parts hang out. Some people do them for fun, like a pic with you and yours games, or a MLP plush, or your cat or dog, or you and a back background of a beautiful scene.

I take selfies, but not a lot. I mainly actually take more pics of my animals or nature than anything. I know someone who CONSTANTLY and I mean like 10 per day posts a selfie and she does always brag about how she looks "so cute" today when she looks the same everyday or showing off her new "lipgloss or make up" or hair. I've noticed, no one really comments or likes those, because they do get annoying after awhile. Oh hell, my almost 50 year old mother sometimes takes selfies, but only like if she has gone out, which is once in a blue moon. She rarely takes them.

A lot of preppy girls I know take tons. Most of my selfies consists of me making a dumb face and holding my cat xD

Are they kind of lame? Yes. Are they worth having a cow about? No. Just scroll past them if you don't like it. It's not like someone is sending a personal attack to you or something, and likewise, no one is pointing a gun at your head forcing you to look at selfies. Sheesh.

Edited by Mouserador

I'm guilty of taking the odd selfie if I'm feeling particularly confident with how I look that day and I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

On the same note though it's one of my pet peeves when people post photos on Facebook which are clearly 100% posed and prepared for and then caption them with "looking rough" or "I look so ugly". I'd so much rather see the caption "I look hot today" at least then they're being honest

They are fine >_>

I suppose they are just a bit of fun.... though often used for attention...

to be honest I don't get the big thing about selfies otherwise from them being a little fun for some...

though I am not for them myself, I can at least except them. 

With the exception of selfies of girls with duck faces, they don't bother me.

And also like how others have said, if you post like 10 every day or something that's also kind of annoying.

But other than that it doesn't bother me so I don't really care.

I think that it's sad that we've hit a point to where we feel the need to promote our looks, and not the products of our talents or abilities. I take selfies either for an artistic reference (which nobody but I will see), or if I have a plan to do something to the photo to turn it into something else in an art piece (which I'll only post the finished product that looks nothing like me).

And that's pretty much all that upsets me. "Oh, wow, you took a picture of your own face. You know how to press a button? How impressive." 

I sometimes take selfies with friends, but I do it to hold onto the memories of whatever was happening, and I don't post any of those, either.

• Brohoof 2

Maybe it's a bit bias since I take pictures of myself, but "selfies" have been around ever since myspace and facebook have been around when it came to posting pictures of oneself. 

It just has a new dumb name now. 

I like selfies because... it's just a picture of yourself. You get to see how other people look as well. 

I think people get mixed up with attention seekers and the word "selfie". 

Selfie is a picture of yourself. 

An attention seeker will post a "selfie" and state that they're ugly to get said attention. 

It's been going on forever everyone. 

Lets be realists here, i'm sure most of us here are guilty of taking a picture of themselves once or more. I will admit, I have taken selfies before and not scared to. I have been guilty of taking pictures of my food, pets, coffee, etc. Honestly, seeing these comments, I feel like people blow selfies way out of proportion. Although you may not think so, I don't see anything wrong with taking a picture of yourself unless it's full of profanity of any sort and you're attention hogging. 
Not everyone who takes a pic of themselves are not lurking for attention. Feedback is nice, but most of the time I believe people take a picture of themselves at their best (in any way) to make themselves feel better, even the "attention whores" or those who use filters and such. In a way, I kinda sympathize with those people, because most of us human beings focus so much on the quality of things, that we fail to focus on the quantity which in my opinion is why more important than making yourself out to be the most perfect thing in the world. I'm not saying EVERYBODY has this mind set, for the most part however, they do.
You don't have to like selfies, but I think they are harmless unless they have anything bad in them. 

I take selfies. I see nothing wrong with it. Taking selfies when I'm feeling confident and cute makes me happy and boosts my self-image.

A lot of people on this thread are hating on selfies because "people just do it for the attention." That's not a reason to hate something. People do plenty of things for attention. Positive attention is a natural human desire. If I take a picture of myself, post it to the internet, and enjoy the positive attention it receives, so what? How is that damaging anyone?

Also, I think it's awesome that people can take control of how they look in a photograph. I know many people, especially female friends, who constantly have anxiety over how they look in photographs. Selfies are a safe way for them to take pictures of themselves without embarrassment.

Selfies are a form of self-love, and self-love makes people uncomfortable. But there's a lot to be said for taking pride in the way you look and also showing appreciation to others' appearances. I find value in posting my selfies to my friends and getting some supportive feedback, and I also like posting positive comments on other people's selfies. It's nice to hear I'm cute, and I love telling others they're cute! It can be uplifting, almost like a support system. I don't consider it narcissistic at all.

Edited by Jennabun
  • Brohoof 1

My mom asks me to send her pictures of myself all the time. I do it cuz she wants to see me, but I'm not one to ever take selfies and post them around the internet. 

I mean... a few pictures of yourself is fine, I think. But after that... we know what your face looks like. 

I'd say it's acceptable if you're traveling and you want to remember yourself standing in front of some cool place or something, but otherwise it's kinda like showing the internet what you see when you spend hours looking at yourself in the mirror. Which is kind of unnecessary.