Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ever been discriminated for your race, gender, or ethnicity

CosmicHooves

Yes. My entire class harassed me because I'm a girl and wasn't allowed to play with an RC helecopter. As a girl I do a lot of things that a guy does, which people think is socially unacceptable (burping, sitting with my legs spread apart, making sexual jokes, etc). Anything I do is not ladylike and everybody yells at me for it. Geez!

Also that I'm a blonde white girl in a mostly asian, Indian, and Mexican community so I get treated differently for my race and looks.

Pple look at me with disgusted looks and talk to me like I'm retarded because I'm in special ed too. -_-

I get the sense that blonde and white can be a bad combination for certain interests. If you're asian, indian, redheaded, etc., it becomes more normal for you to be "quirky" and unique. I admit that somewhere in the back of my mind, blonde/white/geeky forms the stereotype of "Hm, I wonder if they're ACTUALLY that geeky, or if they're playing an act for attention." It's an unfortunate learned trait.

It's possible I've received marginal discrimination for being white, or for being a guy - the latter one being a bit hard to avoid, and one you can only really think of if you're viewing things as an "Elephant-based society". (I can't find the explanation on google, but basically it's where people are viewed as how different they are from elephants, as opposed to how different they are from married, white, heterosexual, christian males)

I'm male and have been looked down on for doing unmanly things so I guess that counts. I'm also "not completely straight" if you catch my drift and have had the piss taken out of me for that.

Does getting insulted for being a 'Ginger' count? If so then yes.

If not then no.

I really hate people the discriminate others, while I hate others that do it; Ive had my fair share of down moments. To this day I still feel guilty for calling someone out for being black in fourth grade. Even if he has told me its okay recently.

• Brohoof 1

Of course. I'm a caucasian male, so I'm automatically labelled as a racist, masochistic scumbag.

Don't forget misogynistic and homophobic.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yes... was at my previous work place, Daycare.

A mother had just joined our daycare with her 2yr old daughter and 18month son. I wasn't on schedule with either one of them, when I got a call from her while I was closing down and tyding up. She called saying that her daughter had a cut on her elbow and wanted to know what happened.

Naturally all the teachers are gone and they never left me a notice of injury reports, so I was left hanging there, telling her I wasn't supervising her daughter at the time, I'm so sorry that it happened and I gave her my manager's number to help her discover what happened during the day for her child. She proceeded to inform that she's taking pictures of the injury and would file a complaint with us and I respectfully told her she has that right and we'd do our best to help out to see what happened. Then she hung up.

The next day my manager pulls me aside and tells me this...

"I don't want you to feel bad...but... The mother of that child that was hurt, she...She basically called you "a rude, stupid white teacher, who lied to her about her daughter and didn't bother to help her in the situation at all" Naturally I know this is not the case because you contacted me soon after and did your best to console her...Anyways for the time being, try to stay out of her way while I talk with her."

Of course this continued on for weeks, the mother kept calling me a stupid white teacher (She was mexican descent). Color never occurred to me till that point, I realized I was the only white teacher at the facility but that never bothered me. So for a parent to call me a thick white teacher...it was quite hurtful. The last straw was when the mother phoned my manager again saying "I cannot believe you people would hire a white teacher! Why bother with them? They are stupid as they come!" ...by then i was on wits end, my job was hard enough with the abused hours and unfair pay...now I was beign racially ridiculed. Luckily though the place was shut down while I was overseas. So i don't have to deal with it anymore.

Edited by Lightning Bliss

I've worked at a retail electronics store all through university, and I've had men deliberately ignore me while heading straight to my male coworkers. The funniest thing is, I'm one of the most knowledgable people in the shop. It's hilarious when I've been blown off, and my coworker turns straight to me with a line like, "I don't know the answer, can you help this gentleman?"

Some are pleasantly surprised, some embarrassed, and I've had a few apologies in the past. Others act like it's morally affronting to receive tech support from a girl.

It's rare, thank god. But it still happens.

• Brohoof 1

I've worked at a retail electronics store all through university, and I've had men deliberately ignore me while heading straight to my male coworkers. The funniest thing is, I'm one of the most knowledgable people in the shop. It's hilarious when I've been blown off, and my coworker turns straight to me with a line like, "I don't know the answer, can you help this gentleman?"

Some are pleasantly surprised, some embarrassed, and I've had a few apologies in the past. Others act like it's morally affronting to receive tech support from a girl.

Dang that's horrible, I've never been ruffed up like that just based off gender, not in the face anyway.

I don't get why people do these kind of things. If you see a woman working in an electronics store, guess what. She probably knows a thing or two about electronics.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I personally don't mind humorous racist jokes, i have plenty for every race even my own.....Negative racism is only offensive if you allow it to be. I honestly dont see why people make such a huge fuss about what offensive things people say, step back an check yourself.  heres a step by step guide I've put together for those who feel butthurt about racist comments:

1. check your body integrity, make sure no physical harm was done to you, in most cases nothing happened to you

2. check your wallet to see if any possessions or property was stolen or violated.

3. Evaluate your social life, has it drastically changed since the offensive comment

4. Check yourself to she if you still have your job

5. Ask yourself why did that even bother you in the first place? 

Edited by RNgineer

Dang that's horrible, I've never been ruffed up like that just based off gender, not in the face anyway.

I don't get why people do these kind of things. If you see a woman working in an electronics store, guess what. She probably knows a thing or two about electronics.

It's thankfully uncommon. If it happened every other day, I'd have quit in frustration long ago. It's usually older men; there've been a couple of younger ones, 20's to 40's, but they're the ones who often end up acting really embarrassed and apologetic once they realise how bad they must have looked, and I'm a pretty forgiving sort.

The occasions that it does happen, I just soldier on through and try to help the customer to the best of my ability. That's my job, after all! I can't change the world, but I can control my own actions and reactions.

• Brohoof 1

It's not quite the same, but I was sexually harassed by a supervisor at work. He would always come to my work station and do things like put his hand on my shoulder and rub my arm while talking to me. He started giving subtle hints about how I could earn a promotion, and I went to HR and tried to get him fired. They only moved him to a different department though. 

I have been discriminated for being a male with long hair. Usually older more "conservative" people who probably think im some hippy or something. That was like 40 years ago eggheads. And for smoking pot. Mostly my judgemental family who all think im a crack head or something. Haters gonna hate and I really dont give a sh B) t.

Ugh, I absolutely can't stand when people claim that it's impossible to be racist against white people. It firstly shows that the ppl who claim this are too small-minded to realize that the way things run in their country, is not the way things run everywhere. Secondly, it assumes that racism has to be institutionalized in order to be racism, which is 100% untrue. Racism can be institutionalized, but a non-white person hurting a white person just because of their race is still a racist hate crime. There are many, many places in this world where white people are systematically oppressed and have less privileges than others.

Anyway, I came to say that I have been discriminated not for my race, but for the races that I choose to draw canon ponies in for humanizations. Strangely (not), people only have a problem when a pony is drawn as not Western European descended. There's also an auto assumption that I'm not white, and I've been personally called racial slurs over this.

My best friend who is Mexican, has been treated differently by teachers just because of her race. For instance, we had one teacher last year (Forensics, so we found out how to identify skulls, hair, etc. by race) so every time she would say something about being Hispanic, she'd look over at her. And you could hear her say "Hispanic" differently. It made me mad.

Interesting. Do Hispanics really look much different from white and Native Americans? I say this because iirc most Hispanics are mixed with those.

Have you ever had an instance in your life were someone treated you poorly or at a lower level because of your race, gender, or ethnicity?

Some guy once called me a Nazi for being like 50% German.

Ugh.

People these days.

I was called a "Nazi" on several occasions when I was younger (due to sharing my ancestry / having a surname that reeks of German lol).  One time it was a friend's MOM that called me a Nazi.  Then she followed that lovely nugget up with something like, "Oh, actually, so and so in my family is part German."  So I replied, "Oh so I guess she's PART Nazi, then?"  No sir, I don't like it.

Every single day I have to face ignorant moronic d*ckheads because I'm a girl working in the video game industry. Customers (mostly men, no offense) walk right past me because they think I'm just some body with tits for appearance purposes to attract more customers. 

My boss defended me when someone walked up to him, passed right by me when I had addressed the guy, and was forced to turn back to me because what he was looking for was what I was experienced in.

It even happens in this community...

Today on facebook, there's a page called My Little Pony: Friendship is Fanbase where a certain thread was started that irritated me. Why? I've seen it multiple times and I think it is MEANINGLESS and quite insulting.

Why in the world do we need to separate our community by what genitals we have? Brony and Pegasister?

Girls HAVE to be pegasisters?

Bullshit.

Now I'll admit when I read this stuff I was half-awake, barely running on coffee fumes and was on my way to open the store...

I simply posted that I didn't feel it was appropriate to force girls to be placed under a category or name like 'pegasister'... I think we're all bronies (bronys, etc). End of the story.

After I posted that I fully acknowledge myself as a brony, I posted a separate response with, "stupid idiots". 

One person who thought she was absolutely hotshit.com jumped on me because my post was insulting the poster and I defended myself. Several other people defended with me while this chick blew the fuse, contacted her so-called Admin friends.

Those two people who defended me were BANNED, and I was well on my way too. The woman was a complete attention whore, drama-stirrer (which she called herself that, lol) and got two completely innocent people banned from that page.

I left the page/group after I stated that... the display I and a lot of other bronies witnessed... was abuse of power and complete BS.

I don't think females are better than men, I think we are equal because we all do the same thing. We eat, release waste, procreate, and die. 

What exactly makes a female so 'special' or 'insignificant' is beyond me but I deal with that everyday and do NOT tolerate it.

Of course. I'm a caucasian male, so I'm automatically labelled as a racist, masochistic scumbag.

Once again you stole my profile picture and post... Are you me from the future or something? Because I'm beginning to suspect Wibbly Wobbly Time Whimey shenanigans here... :okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 1

I don't think religious beliefs or a lack thereof were mentioned at the start of the topic, but I had just a...  Really "lovely" member of the school faculty inform me that I was going to hell due to my atheistic views.  My own fault, I guess, for talking about it openly in school this one time.  And honestly...  I do interpret comments like that as empty threats lol.

Let's see here this is my discrimination list I've been compiling for awhile now. Not all fits under the category of the topic, but hey they're about discrimination!

Me = What others think

male = sexist

white = racist

under 21 = irresponsible

Christian = bigot

Republican = greedy

furry = into beastiality

clopper = neck beard devoid of morals

Brony = pedophile

Otaku = weirdo into foreign crap

listen to dubstep = no music tastes

owns a WiiU = casual and childish

introverted = reclusive freak

slow learner = mentally deficient

and the list goes on!

• Brohoof 5

Oh gosh, I get a huge distraction for my gender and my age most of the time. 
Girls are treated as shit by the Boys, like I only know of a few good boys and I only hang out with them, the others you would want a 10 metre pole to use to poke the bastards. I can't get into the canteen line, can't get a drink from the fountain, can't play a game of hockey 'cause I'm a girl. 

Even worse in choir, the head of the music department won't let me into the tenor section because I'm a girl. I don't care if I'm a girl and girls are meant to sing high, if I can sing lower than the boys then I should be allowed to sing at their level, to at least help them out if anything. 

Oh, and just cause I'm a teenager that doesn't mean I'm going to break all the windows and steal all your stuff, I can't bloody go to a store without someone looking at me weirdly, and I'm the most mature person in the god damn room. 

I had a group of "friends" who I was pretty close with, until I said I was a Christian and was given all sorts of hell for about a year. :/

• Brohoof 1

Don't forget misogynistic and homophobic.

I knew I was forgetting some things. I felt the list was a little short, but all the man-muscle was pressing against my brain, and it was hard to think. Typical.

Once again you stole my profile picture and post... Are you me from the future or something? Because I'm beginning to suspect Wibbly Wobbly Time Whimey shenanigans here... :okiedokielokie:

What do you mean? I am you. I've always been you...

• Brohoof 1

Interesting. Do Hispanics really look much different from white and Native Americans? I say this because iirc most Hispanics are mixed with those.

She is mixed with white, but she doesn't look white. She does look different, yes. Maybe the teachers know because every student's race is on their computer program on the student's look up. I don't know, I think she looks Hispanic.