Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

YouTube to mp3

Tabe

So I found some incredible music on Youtube and most songs came with a free download in the description, but some of the older songs links are broken.

I know its illegal to download music but would it count as a "crime" if I used a YouTube to mp3 site to download the songs with broken links?

Sorry if its a stupid question, I'm not really into this. I'm trying to "cleanse" my soul, by not downloading anything illegal.

It's still super-illegal, but who's going to catch you?

The FBI that sits in a van outside my house?

Well, anyway, problem solved. It was just Chrome being over protective. I tried the same link in Firefox and it worked just fine.

The government don't really care about you doing that. They actually go after people who make massive torrent sites like ThePirateBay...

Why pay for something when it is actually easier to get it for free?

In some cases I’d say it’s ok:

If your too lazy to pay for it then I’d say that’s not good and if you can support an artist do: but if the artist him or herself is letting you have it free then I don’t see why not, and if the music is more easily available second hand and out of print then I'd say it makes no diffrence 

I don't think we're allowed to post them links here

---------

I got a safe and reliable one I use all the time, PM if you want a link.

Really? I'll assume just the search is better.

(edited)

Holy molly thats alot of Dubstep!

I expected to download one song and instead I got a zip with 28 songs! And to not get in trouble with the admins, it was a legal download.

Yay, more dubstep for me!

Edited by Tabe

(edited)
I know its illegal to download music

Who told you that?

Downloading is legal. Publishing without copyright owner's permission is illegal. See the difference?

Do you know that you're actually downloading that music/video from YouTube when you play it in their player? You have to. Otherwise your computer would be unable to play it at all. Your browser downloads this file into some local temporary directory and plays it from there. If downloading were illegal, YouTube couldn't work at all.

You can even launch a software which records sound directly from your sound card (such as Audacity, which is free for use), and then save that sound as MP3. You don't need any special websites (which usually track you or install some trojans).

but would it count as a "crime" if I used a YouTube to mp3 site to download the songs with broken links?

Don't know about United States (which last time I checked were called Freedom Capitol of the World), but in Polish copyright law (and most of other countries I know) there are special exceptions in copyright law, called "fair use" or "personal use", which specifically allow you to do exactly that, for your own personal use, without any need of asking the copyrights owner for permission. And this "loophole" in copyright law is there for a purpose: because there's no way to enforce a law which would prevent that, so any such law would be ineffective. And because if personal use would be illegal, then there would be impossible to enjoy culture at all.

Sorry if its a stupid question, I'm not really into this. I'm trying to "cleanse" my soul, by not downloading anything illegal.

Copyright owners are being repaid for fair use, by special fees called "copyrigh levies" which are just taxes incorporated in all storage media & devices' prices. You actually paid for being able to download these files already, even if you didn't know it, if you ever bought any empty CD/DVD, or a CD/DVD/BluRay recorder, or a hard disk, or a photocopier, etc. And these fees, collected by organizations such as RIAA & MPAA, are supposed to be paid to the copyright owners to compensate fair use. So any argument about this being "unfair" to the poor authors, or "unethical", or "stealing", or other propaganda slogans spread out by media corporations, are just pure lies. Don't believe them. Know your rights. You have them too. Authors & media owners don't have ultimate power.

If you want to be more aware about copyright (and copyright lies), here's some recommended reading:

"Free Culture: How Big Media Uses Technology and the Law to Lock Down Culture and Control Creativity" by Lawrence Lessig, a lawyer who specializes in copyright law.

You can read this book online or download it in one of many different formats, 100% for free and legally.

P.S. Copyright law is not a part of criminal law, but civil law.

So it's more appropriate to say "copyright violation" than "crime" or "theft".

But big media corporations love to compare copyright violations to theft or crime, because it plays better with people's conscience and fear.

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 3

Alrighty. My conclusion:

If a download link is broken, I will use YT to mp3 and If I get caught, I can prove that it was a free download.

But its more likely that Elvis Presley walks through my door than getting caught downloading  ;)

(edited)

Have you seen my post above?

Downloading is not a crime. No one will catch you, because no one is after you.

If downloading were a crime, YouTube couldn't exist at all.

All videos on YouTube are published on YouTube license or CreativeCommons license, which allows you to download whatever you like, and even if not, fair use still allows you for that, without asking anyone for permission, for your personal private use. You pay taxes (copyright levies) to be able to do that.

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 1

Have you seen my post above?

Downloading is not a crime. No one will catch you, because no one is after you.

If downloading were a crime, YouTube couldn't exist at all.

All videos on YouTube are published on YouTube license or CreativeCommons license, which allows you to download whatever you like, and even if not, fair use still allows you for that, without asking anyone for permission, for your personal private use. You pay taxes (copyright levies) to be able to do that.

Maybe its not a crime but its still illegal, because some stupid law says so. I appreciate the help though. I pay for my games and movies but I don't pay for my music.

Maybe its not a crime but its still illegal

No, it isn't.

because some stupid law says so.

Then show me that law. Please.

No, it isn't.

Then show me that law. Please.

Hey, I'm not trying to start an argument here.