Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

YouTube to mp3

Tabe

(edited)
I don't wanna argue anymore. I'm still not gonna download something that's not free though. That's my opinion.

No one is forcing you. But I say exactly that it is free to download songs from YouTube, so you don't need to break your moral rules (I have them too) to download from YouTube. It is not a crime, it is not illegal, it is not even a copyright violation, because the law I linked above exactly allows you to do it for your personal use, no matter what anyone, including YouTube, is telling you about it. Your computer is downloading it anyway into your temporary cache directory when you watch it, no matter you want it or not.

You can also see it from the other side: When you upload music on YouTube, you are asked to choose a license, and there are currently only two licenses: YouTube license and Creative Commons license. Both require you to agree that your content could be downloaded for free by your viewers, because otherwise YouTube couldn't serve it to them.

According to DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act), it is only illegal to DISTRIBUTE, SALE, MANUFACTURE copyrighted material. It does not state that having copyright material in your possession is illegal. How would they know if you paid for it or not? There's no difference between "authorized" copy and "unauthorized" copy. The only difference which could be there is whether you DISTRIBUTE it or not.

Edited by SasQ

There is something called dollar voting; how you spend your money is important for determining market demand. If you want to support an artist in some way, pay, but if you just want the music, then downloading for free is perfectly legal. I am a cheap bastard, but I will sometimes pay a little bit more for a product as a way of support; demand only matters if you spend money, the market only cares about your dollars, not your opinion. 

Personally, the only reason I don't use sites to download from youtube is that I just don't trust them. Unless I want a certain opinion to be counted, I sure as shite ain't payin', but I'm not going to risk getting a serious virus.