Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Wonderbolts-are they millitary

Digit

So a friend made me a decal for my motorcycle of the wonderbolt symbol and she said it was because I said they reminded me of the thunderbirds and the blue angels. This struck up the thought based on testing...123 episode are the wonderbolt part of the equestrian military? And are they more of a moral booster like the blue angels. What are your thoughts?

• Brohoof 1

I haven't seen season four yet.

That being said, it was Wonderbolts who were the initial capital response when Spike was a rampaging adult and going at him pretty hardcore. 

I don't think the Blue Angels would ever be military first responders if they weren't already on the scene so I would say military.

Also during the tornado episode they sent a Wonderbolt to monitor and ensure that Rainbow Dash got that water to Cloudsdale again very much a military action.

Mind you how often does the Equestrian military have to do stuff? The Academy seems to go through buckets of recruits so much like the Air Force they probably have divisions that specialized to both.

• Brohoof 1

spitfires uniform in Wonderbolt Academy looks military to me, athough the wonderbolts number only 12 ponies, not including the reserves so far few members to be an army.

That said, considering the training they do, those that might not be quite good enough to be wonderbolts maybe forwarded to what ever devision exists in the royal army for pegesi.

They are based off of the Blue Angels/Thunderbirds and both of them are part of the Air Force, I think in order to know if they are part of the military you first have to ask if Equestria has a military. The reason we can't know for certain there is a military is because over the show's time there have been major threats to Equestria and not once have the military been called in, Discord? nope, Changlings? nope, Nightmare Moon? nope.

spitfires uniform in Wonderbolt Academy looks military to me, athough the wonderbolts number only 12 ponies, not including the reserves so far few members to be an army.

That said, considering the training they do, those that might not be quite good enough to be wonderbolts maybe forwarded to what ever devision exists in the royal army for pegesi.

Yeah.......looks like a Pilot's coat. (the art one), but in the show, her uniform does have a "military" resemblance.  Yet, it seems they are similar to the Thunderbirds and/or Blue Angels, and they are more aerial entertainment

Yeah.......looks like a Pilot's coat. (the art one), but in the show, her uniform does have a "military" resemblance.  Yet, it seems they are similar to the Thunderbirds and/or Blue Angels, and they are more aerial entertainment

Also in testing123 as they went threw the past leaders and rarity showed off the old uniforms they were reminiscent to actual military attire throughout time.

• Brohoof 1

Let's not forget they were founded by a general, so, that's pretty evident they're military, more of moral boosters, but they seem to take action when the time requires, like Secret of my Excess and Sonic Rainboom, and Nightmare Rarity's arc if you want to count the comics too

• Brohoof 1

Before this Season I would have said no whereas in 'Wonderbolts Academy' seemed to be more of a parody of Top Gun played for laughs, 'Testing, testing 1, 2, 3' seems to heavily imply that they actually are (or were) a military unit.

I consider them paramilitary. They're primarily entertainers like the Blue Angels, but are capable of flying combat missions when it's required of them. 

• Brohoof 3

The Wonderbolts were founded as a military group, and throughout their history they maintained that tie, but I do not think they are still strictly military. Because Equestria doesn't have many wars, they became an entertaining/racing team to preserve the skills and to fulfill a role which was in demand. Their role in an emergency situation is similar to that of police, firefighters, or military (in non-combat, domestic emergencies), but the rest of the time they act as entertainers and athletes. They are not members of the military (Royal Guards) anymore, but they function in a military like manner.

• Brohoof 2

I don't even think there is a military really...I think they're more of a show group, with the side job of a secret service thing. At least, that's what I kinda get from it. If its a military, they're really picky then.

I guess they would technically be the military in Equestria. I mean, the only time they come out -non performance wise- is basically when the try to save the day.

I wouldn't really compare them to the military though, but more like an upgraded law enforcement kind of group. Military are used to rage in wars and cause destruction and havoc, which doesn't really seem to fit Equestria's theme! ^^

Their uniforms remind me of military uniforms, mainly they are performers and they were founded by a general. In an emergency situation, they will jump into action so I could consider the Wonderbolts to be paramilitary.

I think they are. I Wrote a story on my laptop at school about them being spies from Equsea(Which is basically like Erusea). And that Soarin would survive and marry Rainbow Dash.

I don't consider them to be military, at least not the sort of military we have here. The Wonderbolts of the present day descended from what was indeed a military force in Equestria's past, but not one of violence: one of pure defense. So, even back then, they were not military in the sense our world is accustomed to. 

The way I look at it is that they retain the discipline and style of the military without the violence.

(edited)

I don't consider them to be military, at least not the sort of military we have here. The Wonderbolts of the present day descended from what was indeed a military force in Equestria's past, but not one of violence: one of pure defense. So, even back then, they were not military in the sense our world is accustomed to.

The way I look at it is that they retain the discipline and style of the military without the violence.

Military in our world is first and foremost defensive. Their purpose is to protect the safety and intrests of said country. Sadly a lot of the time this leads to violence but defense is still the main goal of a military. Edited by Digit

The Blue Angels are military, like the Navy's version of the Thunderbirds.

And yeah, obviously. They look like they do actual fighting, that was even how they got founded.

There's some military history to their origin.

Equestria has the weakest form of any real military.

And the Wonderbolt have become more modern than military really.  They perform for stunt shows, entertainment - even if they were military from origin, it's really practiced much. What brings in more dosh? Flying stunt shows towards paying ponies or fighting the rare threat here and there? 

Spikezilla's episode showed how lacking the wonderbolts are in force and capability in handling a threat to the nation. I'm pretty darn sure the money was spent in building sportsponies rather than military ponies. 

It wouldn't be all that surprising really, how often is Equestria threatened? (other than Tirek going on a full world domination in Equestria, it's not that often I would say.  And at best, the disturbances are done locally). Again it relates to as well, how is land of Equestria governed really? Is it all just a bunch of city states doing whatever the heck they want to do? 

The Royal Equestrian guard is really the only other form of military defense that Equestria has - and they seem to be only found in Canterlot (at best for wherever the Princesses' dwell).  

Now since Twilight has had proper acknowledgement of her status as princess - will she get a personal guard entourage? I wonder.

Now since Twilight has had proper acknowledgement of her status as princess - will she get a personal guard entourage? I wonder.

It's possible, but I don't think it's likely in her case. Having a bodyguard doesn't give off the "friendship" vibe. In the same way I don't expect her to wear the compulsory princess neckless or fancy horseshoes, unless she needs too. But time will tell.

It's possible, but I don't think it's likely in her case. Having a bodyguard doesn't give off the "friendship" vibe. In the same way I don't expect her to wear the compulsory princess neckless or fancy horseshoes, unless she needs too. But time will tell.

Also she has the other 5 spike and i got a feeling that Discord is going to start playing a more often character to the show so i wouldnt think she needs body guards 

The Navy has the Blue Angels; the Air Force has the Thunderbirds; the RAF has the Red Arrows, in order to join those organizations who had to be in the military as an officer, and served up to two years, the Wonderbolts do resemble an military unit, they have basic training and written exams, they have a service uniform and dress uniform, finally they are a force multiplier, granted they seem like a paramilitary unit similar to the Royal Guards, I believe the Equestrian military is based on the military from antiquity, a militia based army mustered during times of war then disband during the peace, while household professional men-at-arms would provide security and ceremonial tasks, this practise goes back from ancient Greece to feudal Europe.