Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Wonderbolts-are they millitary

Digit

Personally speaking, I think Wonderbolts are whatever the MLP writer wants them to be at the moment...

Well duh lol but they get their ideas generally for some part off real world ideas. This conversation being on whether or not the way they are portrayed make them some form of military unit based on real life groups of the same nature I.E blue angels or thuderbirds.

• 3 years later...

I think that the wonderbolts are an obvious riff off of the blue angels, down to their colors (blue and yellow), and their insignias. The Blue angel members must undergo military training, and serve a frontline tour before joining the squad, similarly to the academy and the reserves.  However, once they have made the team, they function primarily as performers, morale-boosters, and entertainment. Their airshows are sick, and I'm praying for the day that a female pilot becomes a legit blue angel. ok cool I'm done now

• Brohoof 1

Spitfire man!

Like others have said, Testing 1.2.3... reveals a militaristic history of the Wonderbolts. It's all good man - even ponies have to protect themselves.

• 1 month later...

I suspect that Spitfire is a retired (or still serving) air force captain - her badges in Wonderbolts Academy reveal her rank - and is designated by the AF to oversee training of the cadets.  Thus, she adopts a militaristic approach to training since it's what she knows and has been exposed to.  The Wonderbolts themselves are most likely a flight demonstration squadron, like the Blue Angels, that can be called upon in times of war due to the military training they underwent as cadets.

The topic of an Equestrian military has been a clear sidenote in this chat, but I'm still quite keen to know how having an Equestrian Air Force would assist in a battle - like, what do they do to each other up in the sky; they're not armed... Curious to know what you guys think?

As others have said, they are part of the military.   That being said, they are NOT very good at it.  :adorkable: Of course, that is a standard trope for this type of show.  If the official government forces were any good, the heroes wouldn't have to keep dealing with emergencies.

I don't think they are true military, but they have adopted military ideals.  The true military is the Royal Guard.  The Wonderbolts are just a flying team who does stunts.  Once in a while they try to help out in various situations as vigilantes but they're still just unarmed horses with wings.  I dislike their portrayal in the Guardians of Harmony comic.

I think the Wonderbolts began as a branch of the Equestrian Air Force, but over time they've branched off and while they technically still have ties to the government, they're almost entirely self-sufficient and independent. In my headcanon, Easyglider had a lot to do with that transition to independence! ^_^

they are based on the Blue Angels, but as I am not American, I am not familiar with them and what they do. We do however, have our own variation of them, the Red Arrows. Which are military, but not used in combat, they are entertainment and a national symbol of morale. 

I assume the Blue Angels and Wonderbolts would be the same terms. BUT We have seen the Wonderbolts deployed as military units. The episode where Spike grows full size, its the Wondebrolts who attempt to come to the rescue as authority measures, but fail. The main one is the use of the Wonderbolts as an Air Force in the Crystal War against Sombra. Ok so its a different timeline and the Wonderbolts will likely have been reassigned to combat, but that would not have taken effect until Sombra returned. We would note that peace in the timelines are the same until the Crystal Empire returned. 

Then there is the History of the Wonderbolts. Originally they were part of the Royal Equestrian guard, but branched off for morale entertainment purposes. 

So I would say that they are trained to be ready for combat, but its not needed during peacetimes, which is why they don't come across so militaristic. Heck, even Dash just wants to join up to show off her flying skills, not to enlist. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well they are kind of like what Tom Cruise was in that movie  Edge of Tommorow. They are public affairs officers. None of them has a real combat experience, and asking them to fight in the war would be ridiculous.

Edited by Rabit2017

• 4 years later...