S04:E25+26 - Twilight's Kingdom  

701 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Wow, what a throwback from Generation 1, never expected Tirek too make a return. The fight against him was amazing, but I was sad that the Golden Oaks Library (I hope that was the name of it) was destroyed, but from out of the ashes with all the ponies treasures obtained in their journal gave them all the power too defeat Tirek in which an amazing crystal castle emerged from the ground and thus became Twilight's new home away from home

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I watched this yesterday (2nd time) and I've got to say I love this even more than I remembered / much more than the first time.

I loved the  beginning of this with this  setup. The song sung by the four princesses. I really really love this one. And this sets the mood perfectly. I could really feel Twilight there. Then there is the exposition which is brilliant. In a couple of seconds you learn everything which is important to know about Tirek. You see how dangerous he is for yourself. Words are actually not needed. This ability to absorb the power of ponies and growing stronger makes him dangerous to say the least.

I love the fact they brought the book with art style back from the first episode in season one just to to tell the back story. And the idea to send Discord after Tirek just emphasis how dangerous this guy is while at the time also how Twilight feels.

That Tirek is smart enough to see and uses Discord's one and only weak spot (his ego) is brilliant. I would say this what makes him really dangerous. He can not only absorb the power his head is decent enough to see when he can play is strength and when not.

The transfer of power and Twilight learning how to use it was also quite entertaining to witness. I want more Twilight with wavy mane :o

I love the Discord part from his pure facial reaction of "Why are you even surprised" as Shining Armor asks for his motivation, over the fact he couldn't watch while Fluttershy and the other are drained by Tirek to his remorse after Tirek betrayed him. Honestly Discord is broken after his. He lays on the ground clueless, sits silently in his bubble and is not moving. He apologizes to Flutter and she can only say "I know". Without looking at him. Brilliant. Pure emotions here. Also the part where Twilight get him set free and Discord does not understand why. I could not have imagined such a complex and emotional plot for a reformation of character in a cartoon. I'm pressed and I love it.

I also need to say something about the fight sequence. Well this most likely the most non MLP part of this episode, but I love it. This just feels like a DBZ fight, even if it just a couple of seconds long. I can even more specific here. This just screems Goku vs Freezer figh from Namek.

Normally I don't like deus ex machine moments to much, but here I think it's perfect. And now we have even something to quantify with :

Magic of friendship > magic of all unicorns + pegasi + earth ponies + 4 princesses + discord

I felt depressed when the Golden Oak library was destroyed. I loved this place :( Her new castle is cool, but I really miss the library. And the second song is also beautiful with a season recap of some ponies we met.

I love it. It's a very emotional episode, with many surprises and some really status quo changes. I understand not everyone liking this, but I just love this episode :)

On 2021-04-01 at 9:05 PM, abrony-mouse said:

that "I'm sorry." "I know." line by Discord and Flutters is so good. always leaves me misty eyed :( 

Yes! Sorry for quoting you so often lately ...

This is without a doubt, the best episode of Season 4, if not the entire series.

I really like the character development for Twilight, the princess song was just awesome, Tirek was an amazing villian. Seriously, how can you take a character from G1 and turn into a badass? The conflict and drama was so intense. Despite me not liking Discord, he had a great role in this episode and I can actually tolerate him. 

My favorite part of this entire episode, if not the whole series, was the Twilight vs Tirek battle scene. OMG, that is a full on God Tier DBZ anime fight that I actually love! Especially the one where Twilight did the Kamehameha on Tirek after he blows up Golden Oak Library (R.I.P). That was beautiful. When I watching the whole battle scene, I was geeking out the entire thing. I feel like this episode feels like a DBZ tribute if you think about it. You know, the princess gives all of their powers to Twilight represents The Spirt Bomb. Tirek has like these orange orbs represent the Dragonballs. It does feel like that and I wouldn't be surprised if Megan McCarthy was secretly a DBZ fan when she was writing this episode.

As for the climax? Despite Hasbro corporate shilling themselves again, I do like how Rainbow Power was well executed and I do love how it ended. Twilight's castle looks very awesome, as well.

Finally, The final Rainbow Power song was awesome and it ended this whole arc on a good note.

So yeah, a 10 out of 10 masterpiece!

1 hour ago, JMTV99 said:

This is without a doubt, the best episode of Season 4, if not the entire series.

I really like the character development for Twilight, the princess song was just awesome, Tirek was an amazing villian. Seriously, how can you take a character from G1 and turn into a badass? The conflict and drama was so intense. Despite me not liking Discord, he had a great role in this episode and I can actually tolerate him. 

My favorite part of this entire episode, if not the whole series, was the Twilight vs Tirek battle scene. OMG, that is a full on God Tier DBZ anime fight that I actually love! Especially the one where Twilight did the Kamehameha on Tirek after he blows up Golden Oak Library (R.I.P). That was beautiful. When I watching the whole battle scene, I was geeking out the entire thing. I feel like this episode feels like a DBZ tribute if you think about it. You know, the princess gives all of their powers to Twilight represents The Spirt Bomb. Tirek has like these orange orbs represent the Dragonballs. It does feel like that and I wouldn't be surprised if Megan McCarthy was secretly a DBZ fan when she was writing this episode.

As for the climax? Despite Hasbro corporate shilling themselves again, I do like how Rainbow Power was well executed and I do love how it ended. Twilight's castle looks very awesome, as well.

Finally, The final Rainbow Power song was awesome and it ended this whole arc on a good note.

So yeah, a 10 out of 10 masterpiece!

I couldn't agree more. Considering Season 4 is my favorite Season and this is my favorite episode of said Season, this is easily my favorite episode.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, AveryGamerDude said:

I couldn't agree more. Considering Season 4 is my favorite Season and this is my favorite episode of said Season, this is easily my favorite episode.

Amen!!:ticking:

• Brohoof 1

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
(edited)

It's funny, the moment they transform you instantly just know: for the toys. Anyway, what in the world happened to Rarity's mouth near the end? They forgot to take it away the color after her mouth closed. Maybe someone mentioned it already, I don't know, I wasn't going through 1K posts to check.image.jpeg.d6c534c203d77660fda9177e4d1c091c.jpeg

Edited by Sarabi

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 2022-10-09 at 10:12 PM, phantompone1148 said:

how?

I think they meant 'killed it for the show'.  In other words, the episode cemented the show as one of the greats.

So many things happen in this two-parter that are amazing.  We get the first song where all of the Princesses sing, and it's probably one of the best songs in the entire show.  We have a significant change in the status quo with the loss of the library and the creation of Twilight's castle (as I always said, change is important when you have a long running series; the Sonic franchise needs to learn from this show).  And we have one of the best battles in the entire series.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2022-10-09 at 11:12 PM, phantompone1148 said:

how?

It killed the show because it was a complete slap in the face to everything that happened beforehand. 

On 2023-06-03 at 11:59 AM, SBaby said:

I think they meant 'killed it for the show'.  In other words, the episode cemented the show as one of the greats.

So many things happen in this two-parter that are amazing.  We get the first song where all of the Princesses sing, and it's probably one of the best songs in the entire show.  We have a significant change in the status quo with the loss of the library and the creation of Twilight's castle (as I always said, change is important when you have a long running series; the Sonic franchise needs to learn from this show).  And we have one of the best battles in the entire series.

Were we watching the same episode? Nothing happened in this finale until the last ten minutes of the episode. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My favorite part of the ending was when, The three Princesses (Celestia, Luna, and Cadance) where motivating Twilight, as if she were a part of their family.  (It's basically the You'll Play Your Part Scene) :sunbutt::LunaMCM::love::P

Spoiler

Yep, That's the spolier.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

So I'm not really well versed in older generation of My Little Pony, but I do know that Lord Tirek was a major bad in the earlier gens, and so seeing him here, like an old and ancient threat to Equestria is honeslty really cool. Makes Equestrai feels like a place with a reaaaaally old history. But then you start asking question and it all falls aparts. Like when did Celestia and Luna actually defeated Tirek and if they didn't, who did ? Why haven't we heared about him before now, when the royal sisters should have plans and protocol in place in case ancient evil ever came back (wink wink, Discord, Chrysalis, Sombra).

But he *is* back and ready to consume all the magic in the land to become Ultra Mecha Tirek. That is really an interesting design for a villain in a magical world, where he doesn't want to only *amass* power but eat it and consume it only for himself. His deisgn is also really cool, being a centaur ponyish creature which becomes stronger and stronger the more he consumes (quite literally).

You'll play your part is a really nice song, and the Princesses singing voices are really soothing and unique. Celestia still feels like the almighty goddess she is, Luna is a bit more loud and boisterous, while Candance sounds the more "real" and "grounded" voice. Twilight not believing she's worthy of being a princess and wanting to do more hits honestly too close to home for someone like me stuck in a "waiting" period when you know you'll be able to contribute, but not right now.

But the right now comes real fast when Tirek stumbles in to suck all the power from the princesses but SIKES, they already gave it all up to Twilight so she can fight Tirek. And after a really nice and entertaining sequence, Tirek does the baller moves and makes a deal with Twilight. Her friends (and Discord), for all the magic in the land. And because Discord betrayed her, she agress, and then he gets betrayed by Tirek because Karma, and of course he would stuuuuuupid.

But Discord gives Twilight the last piece of the Magical Puzzle Box of Deus Ex Machina, they all tranform into Rainbow Power Super Saiyan (straight out of a Team Four Star fever dream) and beats Tirek to death with the power of FRIENDSHIP ! He gets banished to Tartarus, Twilight nice little cozy treehouse library gets exchanged for a big crystal castle. The End.

This was a fun finale. Not really great per say, but enterntaining. It really feels like a much more "Big" finale, if that makes sense. The scope, scale and stakes are much higher than usual, and Twilight needs to step up to try and beat Tirek. Unfortunately, she doesn't really do it and only win because the script says so. But hey, Magic is Friendship, am I right ?

7.5/10, good enterntaining, Discord betrays everyone (again), and Tirek is cool, if dumb.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I personally find it to be a rather strong finale. I've seen it a lot over the years but I always found it sad that Discord chose to betray his friends for power, even after all the times that he had with Fluttershy. Tirek was a good villain - I would have wanted more explanation for why he did what he did. The destruction of Twilight's library and the appearance of her new castle really marks a turning point from the "old G4" to the "New G4". When Twilight got the Wavy mane, that is what she looks like as a full grown alicorn to me. None of this "Celestia copy", she looked good there.

Discord betraying his friends only to get betrayed by Tirek only shows how betrayal leads to more betrayal. Tirek was definitely a threatening villain in my opinion - but more of the "Raw power" kind of sort. He always reminds me of Himcules from My life as a teenage robot. Does something massive and stupid to cover up a minor insecurity. 

One criticism I have for this, is that Discord should have gotten some kind of punishment for betraying his friends. But, I suppose he learned his lesson the hard way by coming to the realization that he was in the wrong by himself.

• 2 months later...

*teleports in*

Spontaneous fun fact time. This episode was Equestria's first true exposure to hands. Lots of people think that when RD said "what are hands" in the first EG movie it was written in as a joke because "IrOn WiLl DiScOrD aNd SpIkE hAvE hAnDs." Well those people are wrong. Spike has claws, as is mentioned by multiple main characters. Meanwhile Discord and Iron Will have paws, not hands. Tirek being a centaur had true hands, making him the only being in Equestria to possess these. 

Oh yeah and this episode also has one of the best cinematic fight scenes ever, and the greatest anime fight in history. So there's that :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1