Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

NavelColt

Reflecting a little more on S4, I've come to change my thoughts regarding Alicorn Magic to mimic some past thoughts in this thread :) It's been moved to its' own type of magic. Moved Friendship Magic as well. This thread isn't meant to debate about whether something is or isn't magic, it's main goal was to lay the groundwork for magic types, so that Chaos Magic can be discussed.

Reflecting a little more on S4, I've come to change my thoughts regarding Alicorn Magic to mimic some past thoughts in this thread :) It's been moved to its' own type of magic. Moved Friendship Magic as well. This thread isn't meant to debate about whether something is or isn't magic, it's main goal was to lay the groundwork for magic types, so that Chaos Magic can be discussed.

Okay, then let´s talk about Chaos Magic. 

I think it has something to do with the Chaos Theory:

Even the tiniest change of the starting parameters can change the outcome of a situation dramatically, with some outcomes being more probable than others, but essentially unforeseeable. 

So I think that users of Chaos Magic can change the probabilities of certain outcomes to achieve their goals, for example, there is a, however miniscule, a probability that random atoms and molecules scattered around the room arrange themselves spontanously to a funktioning toaster. Or a spray of confetti. Or whatever. By changing these probabilities, a skilled Chaos Magic User is nearly omnipotent. (Nearly because there is a finite amount of matter in the universe.)

The teleportation, in my theory, works the same way: The atoms of Discord´s body are destroyed in a flash of light, and other atoms rebuild his body at the same time somewhere else, also with a flash of light.

Basically, he is killing and resurrecting himself every time he teleports. Maybe even without knowing he does. 

And, last but not least, the Chaos Sense:

Here, a User of Chaos Magic, can sense sudden changes in outcomes, feel probabilities, can look a bit forewards in the trousers of time, and the more improbable an event is, the stronger the effect on the user. 

Both Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich are evidently able to this.

Discord, on the other hand, has a more active Chaos Sense, probably due to his high power and skill.

He can aim his Sense at something specific, as, for example, disturbances in Magic.

But I disagree about Chaos Magic being some kind of Natural Magic that can only be used by earth ponies or Discord.

In fact, I think it has to do with the right set of mind: All three examples we have of Users of Chaos Magic, have an open, joyfull, and chaotic mind, a mind allowing them to think in illogical and, to others, crazy ways. 

I think that there is a field of probabilities, changing, moving, flowing towards the future, and ponies of a certaimn set of mind can sense this field, and if they are powerfull enough, manipulate it.

Edited by ~ Dr. Ocsid ~
  • Brohoof 1

• 7 years later...

I feel like he was so weak in mlp, he literally has CHAOS MAGIC and he didn't do anything with it. I'm not sure if this chaos magic is the same as the marvel/dc type, but even if it isn't, chaos magic lets others warp reality and it's strange that he didn't use it in more efficient manners like erasing some people from the timeline or something. I also think the elements are order magic, that's probably why it defeated discord so easily despite him literally being the one of the most powerful beings in the mlp universe because order magic and chaos magic don't mix properly, usually in most cases order magic wins versus chaos magic.

I could have gotten everything wrong here but I feel like it makes sense right? Also one more thing.. can ponies use chaos magic like Discord (meaning they can use it to it's full potential)?

On 2014-05-11 at 11:39 AM, Scelus said:

The last episodes did tell something about the nature of magic or some aspects of it. While Tirek did absorb Discord's powers, they were just added to the pile as it were and he never gained any of his abilities such as altering/distorting living beings, objects, reality or gravity. Magic seems like a purely personal thing, requires a lot of studying or needs extensive experience in order to grasp it's real potential.

But to be fair, if Tirek got a hold of Discord's abilities instantly, the fight would have been really unbalanced. Unless the alicorn magic Twilight showed in her fight with him was just the tip of the iceberg. But don't forget how easily Discord rid unicorns of their magic with a snap of his fingers.

Looks like it was intended that way.

In fact, Tirek could probably erase anyone from existence if he got chaos magic. However I highly doubt Tirek knows anything about Discord's type of magic nor about it's capabilities.