Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dates for BABSCon 2015

nami438

Yup, early reg is already open. If it's anything like last year's reg system, this is probably the best deal unless you plan to attend any major cons around the SF bay area before then. They might have a booth and special deals at them.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

The packages seem to be selling very well for the fact that the higher price packages haven't actually had an announcement that they have been released.  When the pre-registration first started it was only the standard packages. 

I am guessing that once the formal announcement is made that there will not be any top packages left when the pre-registration ends.  I think everyone who knows what a great con it is will make sure they get their package early and those who went last year will be competing to purchase with those who weren't sure then but are now.

I got my package!

I wanna grab a nicer package this round, I just need to wait on the funds. I will for sure be coming back and put in a request to run a sequel to my panel. I have a little under a year to find a new fanfic victim. Challenge accepted.

I stand corrected about the announcement.  Apparently Equestria Daily posted it yesterday.  Not sure how I missed that one.

@Duster Dawnhorse Hopefully there will be some good packages available even after pre-reg is over.  Good luck with your challenge!

It's going to be right after my birthday! Woo! But it's on Easter again!? Why?

I kinda wish they'd move it from Easter Sunday. A friend of mine missed it due to family obligations for Easter.

I kinda wish they'd move it from Easter Sunday. A friend of mine missed it due to family obligations for Easter.

And I left Saturday night because I had to be at a family gathering the next morning. I'll almost certainly have to do the same thing again next year if that date stays. That's extremely annoying! 

(edited)

I wonder if some of it has to do with the hotel convention area availability.  I think a lot of events get planned years in advance so Easter weekend might be the only time they can get the entire weekend at that facility.  It's a just a theory though.

Maybe if enough people go to their website and do the contact thing (once it's up to speed with 2015) and tell them you can't go or you have a friend who can't go because of Easter that might have an impact on the dates for 2016.

And by the way, your avatar is absolutely gorgeous now!

Edited by Diva Pony

I wonder if some of it has to do with the hotel convention area availability.  I think a lot of events get planned years in advance so Easter weekend might be the only time they can get the entire weekend at that facility.  It's a just a theory though.

Maybe if enough people go to their website and do the contact thing (once it's up to speed with 2015) and tell them you can't go or you have a friend who can't go because of Easter that might have an impact on the dates for 2016.

And by the way, your avatar is absolutely gorgeous now!

They might've just booked it by the holiday then, since Easter falls on the 20th this year and the 5th in 2015. Could be something similar to FanimeCon, which always runs Memorial Day weekend.

I'm hoping she can make it at least a day this year, though.

Thanks! :squee:  I only recently started catching up on episodes and Cadence is awesome. That is all. :lol:

They said on Facebook a while back that it was because Easter weekend was cheaper to run the convention.  Hyatt Hotels have something called Extra Value Dates for convention centers, which is basically a small list of dates that people don't normally want to host a convention where they steeply discount the cost of using the hotel's convention center and the rooms for the convention's guests.  So if they moved it from Easter weekend, they would wind up having to pay much more for the convention center.  True, there are some people who can't come because it's on Easter weekend, but there are a lot more people who wouldn't come if the convention cost more to attend and had less guests because of the higher costs for the con.

• Brohoof 4

They said on Facebook a while back that it was because Easter weekend was cheaper to run the convention.  Hyatt Hotels have something called Extra Value Dates for convention centers, which is basically a small list of dates that people don't normally want to host a convention where they steeply discount the cost of using the hotel's convention center and the rooms for the convention's guests.  So if they moved it from Easter weekend, they would wind up having to pay much more for the convention center.  True, there are some people who can't come because it's on Easter weekend, but there are a lot more people who wouldn't come if the convention cost more to attend and had less guests because of the higher costs for the con.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. Never knew that.

Lol. I was just about to start a topic about this, but you guys beat me to it (by a few weeks it looks like)!

Never too early to start thinking about next year's BABSCon. >_>

• Brohoof 1

I have to agree with what Lunatic Envy said; that really does make a lot of sense. Especially when you look at it from the hotel and convention planners' perspective.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. Never knew that.

Never too early to start thinking about next year's BABSCon. >_>

Agreed!

That is true, seeing as how fast some of those tickets sell-out. In fact, some of the higher packages are selling right now! I'm just waiting on my college to announce when my spring break is next year, so I can maybe splurge and go for one of the bigger packages (if i can't stay there for the full weekend however, I won't get my full money's worth for things like the front-of-the-line privileges). Last year was super-convenient because the dates matched up with the end of my spring break.

I only wish they had a "weekend ticket" in case I can't be there on Friday again...

(edited)

I have to agree with what Lunatic Envy said; that really does make a lot of sense. Especially when you look at it from the hotel and convention planners' perspective.

Agreed!

That is true, seeing as how fast some of those tickets sell-out. In fact, some of the higher packages are selling right now! I'm just waiting on my college to announce when my spring break is next year, so I can maybe splurge and go for one of the bigger packages (if i can't stay there for the full weekend however, I won't get my full money's worth for things like the front-of-the-line privileges). Last year was super-convenient because the dates matched up with the end of my spring break.

I only wish they had a "weekend ticket" in case I can't be there on Friday again...

Which one are you considering? I'm thinking about the Canterlot Pony package myself. I'm still waiting on the staffing/volunteer announcement, though.

Dunno about the higher packages, but for the basic Ponyville Pony, I have a feeling any weekend pass, if made available, would be more than $50 and wouldn't be any sort of special package. A Saturday-only pass went up to $60 on the day of this year, if I recall correctly. Seems like a good deal right now even if you don't manage to make it all three days, imo.

Edited by Lunatic Envy

Dunno about the higher packages, but for the basic Ponyville Pony, I have a feeling any weekend pass, if made available, would be more than $50 and wouldn't be any sort of special package. A Saturday-only pass went up to $60 on the day of this year, if I recall correctly. Seems like a good deal right now even if you don't manage to make it all three days, imo.

Plus they'll let you upgrade to a higher package later on if they're still available, so you can always buy the cheap package while it's $50, and then buy a big package later on if you can go all three days.

If you can afford it, I'd go with High Society.  They sold out really early last year, but it's only an extra $90 above the Canterlot Pony package and you get to skip all the giant lines and go to the VIP meet and greet, so it's really worth it.

Which one are you considering? I'm thinking about the Canterlot Pony package myself. I'm still waiting on the staffing/volunteer announcement, though.

I'm considering either the Ponyville Pony or the High Society passes.

Plus they'll let you upgrade to a higher package later on if they're still available, so you can always buy the cheap package while it's $50, and then buy a big package later on if you can go all three days.

If you can afford it, I'd go with High Society.  They sold out really early last year, but it's only an extra $90 above the Canterlot Pony package and you get to skip all the giant lines and go to the VIP meet and greet, so it's really worth it.

Since I was in-between the Ponyville and the High Society passes, it would be a $175 jump for me to go from one to the other.

Agreed!

Just a little added note about the VIP meet and greet- I went to it this year and it was really impressive.  The food was very gourmet and great, there was an open bar for wine and beer- I can't remember if there was more because it was early in the day and I only wanted wine-  and there were at least 5 voice actors that I can recall as being there.  It really was a very nice event.  We were a little late getting in and it had to end a little early due to a VIP Voice panel being held after, but I expect those kinks to be straightened out for next year.

Getting a good package really is worth it in the long run.  I would pay for it even if I could not be there all 3 days.

• Brohoof 1

The VIP meet-and-greet sounds like a lot of fun and well worth the High Society premium over the Canterlot Pony imo. That being said, I don't know how much the line and seating benefits would impact me if I worked on staff. I have no idea how any of that actually goes, but I fully intend to do so and am wondering if they even have time outside of running the con to be taking advantage of preferred seating, let alone waiting in a line.

Geez, I'm making this sound terrible.

Still wanna do it though. :squee: *hypehype*

The VIP meet-and-greet sounds like a lot of fun and well worth the High Society premium over the Canterlot Pony imo. That being said, I don't know how much the line and seating benefits would impact me if I worked on staff. I have no idea how any of that actually goes, but I fully intend to do so and am wondering if they even have time outside of running the con to be taking advantage of preferred seating, let alone waiting in a line.

Geez, I'm making this sound terrible.

Still wanna do it though. :squee: *hypehype*

If you are actually going to be on staff, I would talk to whoever is hiring you and ask what time you will have- I am guessing none.  Staff is usually on call and/or busy through the entire event.

If you are volunteering that's a different case because you can say how much or how little you want to work.

If it's on Easter again, I probably can't go next year, family was already less than pleased about me missing it this year. 

I think I was a Canterlot this year.Then again I go to about 3 cons a year so I never really shell out the big dough, gotta make it spread around between MLP-MSP and Bronycon still.

If you can afford the higher priced pacakges though I'd say go for it. I normally just go for whatever one gives you the T-shirt.