Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dates for BABSCon 2015

nami438

If you are actually going to be on staff, I would talk to whoever is hiring you and ask what time you will have- I am guessing none.  Staff is usually on call and/or busy through the entire event.

If you are volunteering that's a different case because you can say how much or how little you want to work.

Yeah, I would figure as much... I'll just have to wait and see until what opportunities are available to decide how much time I'd want to spend working versus actually participating. I've done some volunteer work for cons previously, and while I appreciated the time flexibility, it was more or less limited to checking passes most of the day.

They said on Facebook a while back that it was because Easter weekend was cheaper to run the convention.  Hyatt Hotels have something called Extra Value Dates for convention centers, which is basically a small list of dates that people don't normally want to host a convention where they steeply discount the cost of using the hotel's convention center and the rooms for the convention's guests.  So if they moved it from Easter weekend, they would wind up having to pay much more for the convention center.  True, there are some people who can't come because it's on Easter weekend, but there are a lot more people who wouldn't come if the convention cost more to attend and had less guests because of the higher costs for the con.

Well that makes sense at least. And I just cleared it with my folks, since I'll be done with school by then it will be easier for me to attend the whole con and still make it for Easter. :D So I'll be there! Maybe with a VIP pass too!

Since I was in-between the Ponyville and the High Society passes, it would be a $175 jump for me to go from one to the other.
Yeah the $90 I was talking about was directed at @@Lunatic Envy, because they were talking about either doing the High Society or  Canterlot Pony packages.  But even with the 175 extra it's worth it for you considering you'll also get the con bag :D

(edited)

True. And I did end up buying a t-shirt and pin (and I almost got the lanyard too, and I asked about the con bag but they were sold out). Subtracting ~$50 worth of merchandise that I most-likely would have bought anyways brings the difference down to around $125, which would put my trip at about $125 over-budget (I accounted for souvenirs as a part of that budget). So much for "mak[ing] sure it stays within [my] budget!"

Edited by Bolt the Super-Pony

True. And I did end up buying a t-shirt and pin (and I almost got the lanyard too, and I asked about the con bag but they were sold out). Subtracting ~$50 worth of merchandise that I most-likely would have bought anyways brings the difference down to around $125, which would put my trip at about $125 over-budget (I accounted for souvenirs as a part of that budget). So much for "mak[ing] sure it stays within [my] budget!"

Do I have no memory at all?  I don't remember a con bag.  T Shirt yes.  Lanyard yes.  I don't remember a bag.  What did it look like?

Registration said swag bag that included shirt, lanyard and poster.  I never saw a bag.  Maybe they only sold it and didn't give it as part of the package?

This year however they are saying there is a bag.  That would be nice actually.

Do I have no memory at all?  I don't remember a con bag.  T Shirt yes.  Lanyard yes.  I don't remember a bag.  What did it look like?   Registration said swag bag that included shirt, lanyard and poster.  I never saw a bag.  Maybe they only sold it and didn't give it as part of the package?   This year however they are saying there is a bag.  That would be nice actually.

It's the yellow bag you brought golden gates home in. :D 

Just a little added note about the VIP meet and greet- I went to it this year and it was really impressive.  The food was very gourmet and great, there was an open bar for wine and beer- I can't remember if there was more because it was early in the day and I only wanted wine-  and there were at least 5 voice actors that I can recall as being there.  It really was a very nice event.  We were a little late getting in and it had to end a little early due to a VIP Voice panel being held after, but I expect those kinks to be straightened out for next year.

Getting a good package really is worth it in the long run.  I would pay for it even if I could not be there all 3 days.

All the VA that were at the con went to the VIP Meet-n-Great....

15/10 would do again

(edited)

Yeah the $90 I was talking about was directed at @@Lunatic Envy, because they were talking about either doing the High Society or  Canterlot Pony packages.  But even with the 175 extra it's worth it for you considering you'll also get the con bag :D

Just a little added note about the VIP meet and greet- I went to it this year and it was really impressive.  The food was very gourmet and great, there was an open bar for wine and beer- I can't remember if there was more because it was early in the day and I only wanted wine-  and there were at least 5 voice actors that I can recall as being there.  It really was a very nice event.  We were a little late getting in and it had to end a little early due to a VIP Voice panel being held after, but I expect those kinks to be straightened out for next year.

Getting a good package really is worth it in the long run.  I would pay for it even if I could not be there all 3 days.

The VIP meet-and-greet sounds like a lot of fun and well worth the High Society premium over the Canterlot Pony imo. That being said, I don't know how much the line and seating benefits would impact me if I worked on staff. I have no idea how any of that actually goes, but I fully intend to do so and am wondering if they even have time outside of running the con to be taking advantage of preferred seating, let alone waiting in a line.

Geez, I'm making this sound terrible.

Still wanna do it though. :squee: *hypehype*

If it's on Easter again, I probably can't go next year, family was already less than pleased about me missing it this year. 

I think I was a Canterlot this year.Then again I go to about 3 cons a year so I never really shell out the big dough, gotta make it spread around between MLP-MSP and Bronycon still.

If you can afford the higher priced pacakges though I'd say go for it. I normally just go for whatever one gives you the T-shirt.

All the VA that were at the con went to the VIP Meet-n-Great....

15/10 would do again

OK, in what is possibly the post with the most multi-quotes on this forum, you all have me sold on the High Society badge. I really like the idea of not having to fuss with lines or getting to a forum/panel in advance and wait to get a good seat. That to me means that I would get to spend my time enjoying the con and not holding my place in line (since I don't have a willing family member to do that for me :) ). The only hold-up I have is that at this point in time it's really a blind investment, as I don't know who exactly is going to be there (VAs, special guests, are they going to be able to bring the Mane six back again? or possibly Daniel Ingram?, etc.). Forunately there are 42 of them left, which means that I still have a long time (at least until June 30th) to decide. Hopefully I can get another job or something to pay for the difference...

• Brohoof 1

The only hold-up I have is that at this point in time it's really a blind investment, as I don't know who exactly is going to be there (VAs, special guests, are they going to be able to bring the Mane six back again? or possibly Daniel Ingram?, etc.). Forunately there are 42 of them left, which means that I still have a long time (at least until June 30th) to decide.

I would definitely watch how many they have left carefully.  Last year high society was the fastest package to sell out.  It's going a bit slower this time around because they opened registration so early, but they still could end up going fairly quickly.

• 2 months later...

OK, in what is possibly the post with the most multi-quotes on this forum, you all have me sold on the High Society badge. I really like the idea of not having to fuss with lines or getting to a forum/panel in advance and wait to get a good seat. That to me means that I would get to spend my time enjoying the con and not holding my place in line (since I don't have a willing family member to do that for me :) ). The only hold-up I have is that at this point in time it's really a blind investment, as I don't know who exactly is going to be there (VAs, special guests, are they going to be able to bring the Mane six back again? or possibly Daniel Ingram?, etc.). Forunately there are 42 of them left, which means that I still have a long time (at least until June 30th) to decide. Hopefully I can get another job or something to pay for the difference...

I would definitely watch how many they have left carefully.  Last year high society was the fastest package to sell out.  It's going a bit slower this time around because they opened registration so early, but they still could end up going fairly quickly.

Badge secured! I'm going high society (I just like to say it like that) this year! After they announced John DeLancie, I had some idea of what was going to happen, which was enough for me. Oh, and I also called my director and she gave me that Saturday off! :)

Badge secured! I'm going high society (I just like to say it like that) this year! After they announced John DeLancie, I had some idea of what was going to happen, which was enough for me. Oh, and I also called my director and she gave me that Saturday off! :)

Nice, I can't wait to see you there.  the guest they have announced is going to be a major get.