Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do You Think about these Racist MLP "Fans"

nami438

I don't bother seeing those commercials, but I do find stupid those comments. Yes, it's kinda buggy that Rarity being literally white is portrayed by an afroamerican girl, but it doesn't go beyond of being buggy.

PD: those fans sux BTW, they have no right to insult her >_>

• 2 weeks later...

I think such complaints are purely idiotic. The beauty of MLP is that the characters don't have set "races", so anyone can imagine any humanized version in which the ponies are whatever races they want them to be. There's just so much more room for creativity, why would you want to diminish that?

As for the comments, youtube commentary is always a cesspool of human stupidity, so it really isn't worth bothering to treat them as genuine opinion from anyone worth listening to.

And the commercial? There are a million things to complain about, but race isn't one of them. Seriously if the people complaining weren't just being abhorrently racist and actually cared about the ponies being properly represented, then their first complaint would be that the mane six are completely mis-aged, not that Rarity isn't white. After all, the mane six are definitely not 12-13, and we know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they have no race.

• 2 weeks later...

Those commenters are literally idiots. They're impersonating horses in human form from a cartoon. Pinkie isn't pink skinned, Rainbow doesn't have blue skin,Twilight isn't purple...they're really just picking out Rarity not being white? If they weren't racist then it shouldn't bother them at all because the colour of her skin in this ad literally means nothing.

Those commenters are literally idiots. They're impersonating horses in human form from a cartoon. Pinkie isn't pink skinned, Rainbow doesn't have blue skin,Twilight isn't purple...they're really just picking out Rarity not being white? If they weren't racist then it shouldn't bother them at all because the colour of her skin in this ad literally means nothing.

Well, if what you're saying holds true, I would have been European with a tiny hint of Asian in me a few months ago because Vinyl Scratch is in fact an extremely pale yellow.

You can hate me all you want for this, but I don't see a problem here.

What I see is people mad that they're "portraying" one of the ponies as a race they didn't picture the pony as, or a race they don't like in general. And you know what? That's fine by me. You can't expect people to like everything, and that includes race.

You can hate me all you want for this, but I don't see a problem here.

What I see is people mad that they're "portraying" one of the ponies as a race they didn't picture the pony as, or a race they don't like in general. And you know what? That's fine by me. You can't expect people to like everything, and that includes race.

Sure, but it would be nice of them to take a moment to think about how dumb their comment is going to sound before posting. Unless you've been living under a rock, it's going to be pretty obvious how it's going to sound to others. Plus the fact that most of the pony colors don't correspond to human skin tones should be something that comes up in the moment of reflection before hitting "submit".

Side Rant: Honestly, political correctness has been taken to excess at times, but the anti-PC backlash has been way more annoying and seems to pretty much abandon common sense altogether..

Basically the anti-PC crowd wants to pretend like they live in a historical and cultural vacuum where words mean only what they want them to and no one should have very negative associations with certain words, phrases, and statements. That is really dumb.

The nature of language is that it only works if it has meaning to others. If I mash a bunch of random letters on my keyboard

hyjgtfvhdcyhfvgfdshykbmtyg

I'd be an idiot to expect that anyone is going to understand that my intent was to say that "Rarity is best pony" just because that's what I think it should mean.

Similarly if I'm running around yelling "[racism 1]" at  the top of my lungs, should not expect people to know that despite it's history of being a pejorative used by racist assholes, that in this particular instance my intent  is totally not racist at all.

You need to think about what you say before you say it, and not assume there should be no consequences for it. If you say certain things in the wrong context it will be a faux pas. That's a basic fact of human existence that everyone older than the toddler stage should have grasped if they want to function in society.

Edited by Andaasonsan
  • Brohoof 2

I may see Rarity as white in my own head when envisioning her as a human, but if someone wants to cosplay as her, their race shouldn't matter. Besides, there are a lot of black people who have class. 

How many people do you know to have purple or blue skin? There are a lot of people who would dress up with Twilight or Rainbow Dash. I don't see people complain that people dressed like Twilight aren't purple, and people dressed like Rainbow aren't blue. 

Besides, who says Rarity's skin isn't black? She's covered in fur. How would you know what is under the fur? Polar bears are black, but they appear white because their fur is white. 

• Brohoof 1

People looking at this commercial for the racial side of things really missed a lot. For instance, I'm more scared at what it means that Hasbro thought it best that the Mane Six are being represented by a group of 12-15 year old girls who dressed for a kiss concert and showed up here instead. Just going by the video, they're also apparently high on paint thinners...

Half of them are too obsessed with their own view of the characters, the other half are probably just messing around and want to start long comment chains about race. I guess there's small minority caught in between, but that's usually what it boils down to with these things.

• Brohoof 2

After seeing this video, I can conclude that they're not keeping the girls consistent with the ponies they're assigned to.

In the video I watched with these girls, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie were the black girls. Either that or they decided to not keep the consistency of what instrument each pony plays in the show.

Then again, I was trying to look at the skirt on Rainbow Dash in the first video I saw. It looked like it was suppose to be Rarity's symbol, but the video quality was so bad that I decided to stick with the identification by instrument.

I hold no love for racists but the Youtube comment section is so broken I cannot work up any emotion for this. Ignorance has always been plastered on there but you could down vote it into oblivion, now the troll and hate comments are held up for all to see cause the "most commented on" post gets top spot.

• Brohoof 2

People care because they're insecure and feel threatened. Normally I would wonder if this was one of those commercials that tries to scream "I'm not racist! Here's some Africans" like EVERY one back in the 90s. But I don't really feel that way. I mean, damn, if they're wanting the skin colours to relatively match, then TS and RD should be Black Africans, Fluttershy should be Hispanic/Asian, and the rest would be White Europeans. 

And guess what? They'd STILL be unhappy. Don't bother with them, they're just out to complain about anything and be extremely pessimistic. Also, it's YouTube, half the people who say these things are probably friends with someone in real life who they're insulting online. Why? Because they're anonymous. But this isn't a problem with anonymity, it's just that you have to ignore people like that if you don't want to hear it.

• Brohoof 3

Technically, anyone who is upset about anypony in this video should be upset by the whole video.

>BEGIN_sarcasmtest1TS is PURPLE, RD is BLUE, WHY ARE THESE KIDS NOT THE CORRECT COLOURS?! YOUR COSPLAY SUCKS FOR REASONS YOU CAN'T CHANGE!>>END_sarcasmtest1>>RESULT;success

Just sayin'. :derp:

• Brohoof 3

that's interesting but I can see their point I imagine them all to be Caucasian as well because of their voices and Tara Strong, Ashley ball, Andrea Libman, and Tabitha St. Germain are all Caucasian or at least I'm pretty sure they are, so it only makes since that the Mane Six are

There will always be individuals who will find an issue with children's cartoons.

Whether it be race, sexuality, religion, etc.

you could say just as much about the girl doing AppleJack.

wearing a cowboy hat... well if I saw her on the street with no other reference to mlp or Applejack, I just wouldn't see it.

the answer is don't think about it.

not just white people like this show and by the way

anyone can dress up as the characters.

its a free country.

in my opinion this just seemed like they were having kids playing dress up.

or at least none of them seemed to represent the characters beyond that though I could be wrong.

besides it has no affect on the show

if others want to be idiots about a commercial then let them, their only hurting themselves.

^_^ sorry for jumping around like that,

i didn't even think their ethnicity would be that big of a deal.

personally I didn't even think about it.

pony colors rule :P