Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do You Think about these Racist MLP "Fans"

nami438

(edited)

that's people for you, they just say stuff like that because they are either mean or ignorant. rarity can be what ever color 

i don't even think race is an issue in equestria, you have earth, pegasis and unicorns/alicorns

there are WAY to many colors for there to be racisim like that LOL

Edited by simba86

(edited)

Being racist doesn't make you any less of a fan. Being racist makes you much more of a human piece of scum but not less of a fan.

I tend to classify bronies into two categories due to a lack of better terminology. If there are brony terms for these groups already, I'd love to be apprised of that. However, like furries, I view bronies as either 'fans' or 'lifestylers'. The furry 'fans' like the furry artwork and to a degree the culture, but it is not a critical component of their lives, and they often act in contravention of the cultural traits which makes furrydom great. The 'lifestylers', such as me, view furrydom as a critical part of their lives and embrace the things about it which mundanes and 'fans' regrettably recoil from.

Brony 'fans' are enthusiasts of the show, but little else. They may or may not adhere to most or all of the doctrine espoused by the lifestylers and culture as a whole, and thus tend to be the ones who cause the most trouble (not that being a mere fan of the show is bad per se, obviously). The brony 'lifestylers' also love the show, but are attracted to the community and the ideals espoused by the others and the show, and see bronydom as a critical part of their lives.

Thus, the brony lifestylers such as myself are not going to use racial epithets, because that is in contravention of all the show and this culture stands for. Someone who just likes the show might be wonderful, or a racist prick, but are still a fan either way. They would NOT be a real lifestyler if they are the latter.

Edited by Roketsune

Racist *fans* should Censored themselves Censored in Censored Censored with Censored Censored and Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored .

Glad I got that of my chest 

Racist *fans* should Censored themselves Censored in Censored Censored with Censored Censored and Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored .

Glad I got that of my chest 

I just happened to see  this earlier today  :P

• Brohoof 1

So people say they see the characters as white, well I'm pretty sure they'd see them as adults too yet no one complains about that. It's known that people are more honest on the internet so I wouldn't be surprised if they were to some degree racist and were just letting it out. 

• Brohoof 1

In my opinion, those that are 'racist' aren't really fans in my opinion because they go against the message of the show.

lmao what. 

Its a tv fandom not a lifestyle. Racists and hateful people are still fans. Works with literally every show >.<

Being a nice person isn't related to being a brony at all. This fandom started on 4chan for christs sakes xD

• Brohoof 1

You see every single one of the Mane Six except the country bumpkin who runs a farm to be white?

Well, I meant to say most of the time I see them almost all white. Sometimes I see Fluttershy a little bit tan from spending outside in nature of course taking care of animals, sometimes I can see why people view Twilight somewhat tan, I'm not sure about Rainbow Dash or Pinkie Pie but most of them I think of them white since I don't really know about them, and for the country bumpkin, it's because she spends a lot of her time outside doing her chores like bucking down apple trees or doing dares with Rainbow Dash (like in the episode Castle Mania), and often is hurdling or working hard under the hot sun like herding animals like cows (I THINK in the episode "The Last Roundup") and when you think about it, Applejack does look like she has normal human skin color in Equestira Girls and her skin looks lighter orange and almost tan but close to white in Equestira Girls.

I don't know, I've seen all the Mane Six like that since I was 11 and sometimes I can't decide on their skin colors but I never have to struggle on good old country bumpkin's skin color. :huh: It's just me I guess. :smug:

While it is in poor taste to say that non-white people can't dress up as Rarity "just because", the fact of the matter is that Ponyville basically is a White European society. How do we know this? Because the characters who are meant to be non-white, like Chief Thunderhooves and Zecora, aren't portrayed as ponies. They're, respectively, a buffalo and a zebra. Also, the architectural styles seen in Ponyville, Canterlot, etc. are basically pan-European. And it's okay that things are this way. Just pointing that out.

Well who knows? The concept of race isn't the same as the concept of species, and race for ponies would just be coat color. These are ponies, not humans you know.

AJ could very well be the most tanned, as she is the one who works outside the most. 

I'm surprised that this is such a big issue! Like the OP said it just a way to show some little girls dressing up like characters from a cartoon. Good grief.

SURE, it's true that maybe some of the girls in the commercial don't fit MY humanization head cannon, BUT as long as by represent their respective characters truthfully, there really is no issue. It's cool to see new representations that shatter your original vizualization! (Ever seen the anthro-CMC's? Black Scoots is a PERFECT design choice!)

The problem is that some people feel as though having a view that is non conformist isnt racist. If you openly say things like "why is Rarity black" to me thats racist. Fictional characters being tainted by human racism is disturbing. Some people do hold racist views but when confronted dont acknowledge them. To me, if you want to be a racist thats fine, just own up to it and be a proud racist so we all know who to avoid. This is like when Hunger Games came out and people found out Rue was black. The book clearly described her as having black features and curly hair. People said that Rue's death would have made them feel sad if she had been white. But at the same time dont believe that is racist. The internet provides a layer of anonymity that gives these people the confidence to be open about how they feel. Its sickening.

I think the whole video is stupid

The ponies aren't a particular race in human form. Why would you use real people for a commercial? White, Black, Red, or Yellow; it doesn't matter; don't use real people in a My Little Pony commercial, it's just stupid.

Racism is a problem, but it's the least of our worries why some random person cares.

Also, races and provenance in MLP does not seem to work like real human race and provenance. Although most of the supposed Caucasians are ponies, some of them are griffons like Gustave. I don't really think the concept of race even exists in that world. There are so many colors and different species that classifying them would be a really big pain in the ass, and till now, the only two location and species link I've found are with Saddle Arabia and Griffons.

(edited)

I always imagined Rarity to be a stereotypical white girl, but I don't see why it's such a big deal if the commercials have black people play the roles of a character you'd think to be white, or vice versa. It's just a commercial at the end of the day. People make big deals of all the wrong things.

Edited by Judgement
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
In general, I think it's reasonable to think it looks odd for people to cosplay as characters that are not of their ethnicity. Looking odd but it doesn't mean that they shouldn't do what they want to do and there's nothing actually wrong with doing it.

Or maybe they don't have a ethnicity because they are ponies!!! Why do people act like they are real. I am sorry there weren't any blue, pink, or purple people to play as the characters in the commercial. 

Edited by Pinkie party time
  • Brohoof 1

Race....It simply doesn't matter.... don't say it does.... if someone wants to see a character different does it really matter? the world won't end.... you won't die... everyone needs to understand that...

(edited)

Or maybe they don't have a ethnicity because they are ponies!!! Why do people act like they are real. I am sorry there weren't any blue, pink, or purple people to play as the characters in the commercial. 

But we know that Zecora is supposed to be equivalent of African, Saddle Arabians equivalent of Middle Easterners, Buffaloes equivalent of Native Americans, and Ponies equivalent of European/North Americans in MLPFIM universe. Actual coat colour seem irrelevant but species seem to have a much clearer indication of what general ethnicity they're supposed to represent.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna

While it's pretty douchy to yell slurs at teenage girls, there's still a very good, very simple reason why the Mane 6 are assumed to be the equivalent of "white." The VAs who play these characters are all white, and they all sound very white. It's the same reason why Zecora is assumed to be black. It's not really that big of a deal.

• Brohoof 1

'Purists' like that will bitch about anything, and not even out of racism. Those comments stem mostly from the inability to derive from the norm, or canon, in any way. I'm sure they would find other things to bitch about if the girls in question had been white, perhaps their build or whatever.

To be fair, I am one of those people, but rather than watching such commercials on Youtube and commenting on it, I simply don't watch them at all because I know that no matter who they pick to fulfill the roles, I won't be satisfied by it. These characters, for me, are cartoons and should remain so.