Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Mental Disorders

Reverie

Chronic depression is

Chronic depression is definitely a serious illness/mental disorder. Just as valid as any other form of depression like bipolar disorder. That really frustrates me too. For mental disorders like depression there is actually a chemical imbalance in the brain, there is something wrong with the wiring in your head that is making every moment painful. The mental pain felt by people who are depressed is actually received by the same receptors that receive physical pain. It is very much a real illness and one that is the most common cause of deaths for people under 30.

Now that I think about it more, his behavior is more like bipolar, except he only has the depressive part of manic-depressive. He can get better and get back to a regular mood, until some day some troll on the internet insults his mother or something and his self-esteem hits rock bottom and he becomes constantly miserable. Then I have to do everything I can to drag him out of his pit of relentless self-loathing until he can get back to feeling normal for a month or two (which is quite a hassle, considering I have the social skills of a tree stump). Until the next time someone offhandedly says something mean to him and we start the whole song and dance.

I don't hate him, I don't. I love him dearly, and it hurts to see him hate himself so much.

That's perfectly normal to feel that way if you are depressed and I understand not wanting people to know but letting it build up before getting treatment could make things impossible/unbearable for you in the future. I was so terrified and resistant to doctors and therapists and though my experience probably wasn't the best, in the end ignoring all the symptoms of depression is like ignoring a lump that could be cancer; you need to look for help and you don't have to tell everyone you know if you don't want to.

Truer words never spoken, I think.

• Brohoof 1

That's perfectly normal to feel that way if you are depressed and I understand not wanting people to know but letting it build up before getting treatment could make things impossible/unbearable for you in the future. I was so terrified and resistant to doctors and therapists and though my experience probably wasn't the best, in the end ignoring all the symptoms of depression is like ignoring a lump that could be cancer; you need to look for help and you don't have to tell everyone you know if you don't want to.

Thanks, that's actually some very helpful advice. :)

That's really great news that you have passed it :) I'm not fully past it yet, I am getting better but I still have my moments but things are a lot better now than they were not even that long ago

Yeah I was going through a dark chapter of my boring life where I nearly attempted suicide. Luckily I did not go through with it.

I'll say that this forum is probably the biggest force that has pulled me out of my suicidal phase! So a big thank you to everypony!

There is a problem with diagnosing teens(if you are one, i dont know), the hormonal instability makes it hard for professionals to know if its a temporary hormonal issue or a genuine mental problem. Very rarely is bipolar disorder as flexible as one morning happy, next sad.

I am a teen :P Well late teen (17),

I do not like to think I have bipolar disorder because my episodes are pretty random and pretty rare. I also know a few people with bipolar disorder and I am almost nothing like them.

I am more worried about my other issues.

Such as the short-term memory loss (which has effected my school work and daily life) and my sharp sudden headaches which scare me!

• Brohoof 1

Now that I think about it more, his behavior is more like bipolar, except he only has the depressive part of manic-depressive. He can get better and get back to a regular mood, until some day some troll on the internet insults his mother or something and his self-esteem hits rock bottom and he becomes constantly miserable. Then I have to do everything I can to drag him out of his pit of relentless self-loathing until he can get back to feeling normal for a month or two (which is quite a hassle, considering I have the social skills of a tree stump). Until the next time someone offhandedly says something mean to him and we start the whole song and dance.

I don't hate him, I don't. I love him dearly, and it hurts to see him hate himself so much.

Only having the depressive part of manic depression surely is having major depression? Depression can appear to onlookers as going up and down, it's quite easy to go in and out of learning how to hide it depending on what you've convinced yourself your state of being is and then someone will point something out to you that will make you realise what you've convinced yourself is complete bullshit and you're not well at all. It's so painful watching someone go through depression, my friend thought she had recovered and I suggested something to her about sitting her exams early so she doesn't have to take another year out of school and she started throwing insults at me left, right and centre and saying how much she hated herself and her life. I don't hate her either but I'm not stable enough yet to deal with that. It breaks my heart that I'm just not strong enough to support her so I've had to stop being friends with her for now. Hopefully, it will change in the future though. Your friend seems like he goes through a similar kind of thing.

If you're resorting to cutting as an outlet for emotions and feeling suicidal then there is definitely something wrong... All thoughts of suicide and self harm should be taken seriously and given the proper medical care..

Ofc, didnt say it should not be taken seriously, just stating its not a definate sign of mental illness, there are alot of factors that have to be considered before a potential diagnosis can be made.

TI am a teen :P Well late teen (17),

I do not like to think I have bipolar disorder because my episodes are pretty random and pretty rare. I also know a few people with bipolar disorder and I am almost nothing like them.

I am more worried about my other issues.

Such as the short-term memory loss (which has effected my school work and daily life) and my sharp sudden headaches which scare me!

Often people forget(pardon my french), how fucked up you can be as a teen, simply because your hormones are rampaging. Many have constant up & downs, very varying mood and so on.Noone experiences teens the same way, so how it manifests itself is very individual. There was a time when teens on the extreme end of that spectrum was locked away and considered "insane"(especially girls,,), but these days its a very real part of mental health treatment.

You mention short term memory loss, does it depend on what you are thinking about(do you consider it interesting etc)? Or is it you have problems focusing on specific tasks for longer periods?

Your headaches might, again, be a result of you being in your teens. Kind of sounds like migraine(do you have symptoms like light sensitivity, one eye running etc?). Migraines can be linked to hormonal levels(more with girls then boys though), I had them all the time as a teen, vanished as I got older. But that is something you really should have checked out as soon as possible.

Edited by Magnus

Thanks, that's actually some very helpful advice. :)

You're very welcome and you shouldn't judge whether or not you have an illness by comparing yourself to those that do. It can manifest itself very differently in different people and there are many different types of depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, bulimia, addiction etc. I've met many psychotics who upon talking to them seem complete different from me in how their symptoms did or didn't display themselves.

Mood disorders like Depression and Bipolar Disorder seem to run in my family. My mother and aunt are Bipolar, and 2 uncles have had Depression (one of them committed suicide before I was born.) I'm not sure which I have, but I think it's depression. If I have manic moments, they are minor and I don't notice them. I have a pretty minor case right now, so I don't need medication. I don't think about suicide or anything like that, but I still hate myself from time to time.

Mood disorders like Depression and Bipolar Disorder seem to run in my family. My mother and aunt are Bipolar, and 2 uncles have had Depression (one of them committed suicide before I was born.) I'm not sure which I have, but I think it's depression. If I have manic moments, they are minor and I don't notice them. I have a pretty minor case right now, so I don't need medication. I don't think about suicide or anything like that, but I still hate myself from time to time.

I'm sorry to hear that, it's so difficult watching people you love struggle, especially when you're struggling yourself and your capacity to help is limited and vice versa. You may have cyclothymia? I'm no professional but I'm just putting that out there as a possibility...

Erm...I haven't ever actually checked to see what I have.

There was this form of autism that I could have sworn started with an O. It's the one where you have to make sure everything is even, and correct it if it's out of place. I have that one-can't even leave a pencil where it is if it's slightly crooked.

I'm also socially awkward, but I'm not sure if that counts as a disorder.

Edited by Aureity

If gender identity disorder counts as a legitimate disorder - which I kind of doubt! - then that's about it. Otherwise, outside of suggestively narcissistic personality traits, I'm somewhat generic as far as this is concerned.

I'm sorry if I offend anypony by saying this but adhd and add do not exist. It's a doctor scam for prescription money. What your actually experiencing is daydreaming and boredom. Also I have a girlfriend with schizophrenia. :P

I've explained some of my known and possible disorders before, but I guess I will go all out this time:

I was diagnosed with OCD when I was about 10 (but I had it long before I believe), I was so obsessed with things I lost sleep at night. I had to follow a 3 number system (doing everything by threes or multiples of threes and checking things three, six, or nine times). I checked things like the stove, sinks, doors, just about everything (I also may have had some paranoia going on because I thought someone was coming after me often, or I would feel a "prescence"). If I didn't check things I feared that the worst possible thing would happen and it would be due to my failure to "check." I also ritualistically did things like wash my hands and such, I thought that if I didn't scrub (as in wash, rinse, dry, repeat) at least 15-20 times I would get sick. (I washed my hands after touching almost anything, even the handle on the faucet sometimes)

I also believe I had anxiety because I would worry for large portions of the day about someone in my family dying or that I would die somehow. Images of disaster would run through my head, and I just couldn't leave them behind. Only when my mind was fully at use (playing video games, reading, homework) did I feel "ok." The phrase "the devil makes work for idle hands" was nearly a truth for me, I feared not having something going on. (I hated going to sleep because that meant my mind could wander and all of the thoughts would come back). This also tied in with the OCD, often the mental images paired with the "message" my mind sent me of the price of failure if I didn't follow its instructions.

I've um, never told anyone this last part before so it is a little bit strange for me. I used to have very disturbing images (some of them looked like Zalgofied people, others just harmed) or I would see bloody weapons. The weird thing is that was happening to me even when I was quite young and didn't even understand "death" very well. I also had the feeling that the images I saw were caused by myself, that I had done whatever had happened to those people. I felt I was under control (I didn't actually want to hurt anyone and there were no urges to do so), but those images scared me so much I felt like I was a monster.

I never understood where these things came from, I had a wonderful childhood and kind parents. I was a bit of the "out" kid at school, but I was never bullied or hated. I really can't explain why I received all of the feelings I did other than that it was genetic. My mother's side has a history of Schizophrenia, Anxiety disorders, and bipolar disorder, which I guess may have passed on to me. (although I don't understand how I could overcome them without drugs then).

I've overcome all of these problems now (about half way through 8th grade was when it started getting noticeably better), I only ever went to see a psychologist once and she said I was "just fine." I just sort of became happier over time, and somehow it slowly ended. I still get some freaky images sometimes when I don't expect them like the old ones, but I am able to control them now and it is very infrequent (about once or twice in half a year).

My mind was a really dark place for a while. and I think that is why I write and read dark poetry it lets me deal with my past constructively.

I really hope I don't scare anypony now :unsure: , I've never told all of this information at one time before. I am now a happy go lucky, fun loving guy and I want you all to know me for that.

Edited by Guest

I'm sorry if I offend anypony by saying this but adhd and add do not exist. It's a doctor scam for prescription money. What your actually experiencing is daydreaming and boredom. Also I have a girlfriend with schizophrenia. :P

It actually does exist. The diagnosis is somewhat subjective but ADHD - not ADD, as that is outdated! - is a legitimate disorder.

I have no diagnosed disorders but I'm sure I have a personality disorder. I hate being around people, I'd prefer to be alone. Yet at the same time, being alone makes me sad. I wouldn't think that is normal.

• Brohoof 1

I have no diagnosed disorders but I'm sure I have a personality disorder. I hate being around people, I'd prefer to be alone. Yet at the same time, being alone makes me sad. I wouldn't think that is normal.

Lol I feel like that sometimes XD

i guess i have 2 major ones impacting my life; the first one being diagnosed, the other one being the cause of how i've been thinking for practically all my life.

first of all, i've been diagnosed with autism. i think i got to know that at around 6th grade. it makes me perceive thoughts and actions differently from most people. i can do some things just fine one day, but another day i can intentionally putting that off becuase it distresses me. at whihc point i try to lock myself out from the world from people, fiddling with something else to get my mind off whatever it is i don't want to do then, and become unable to respond to. that's a rather extreme case though and doesn't happen all the time, but it does surface from time to time.

i also am anxious, anxious as fuck because of it. social interaction is frightening to me, and i fear of what other people may think of me, so i constantly hide who i am irl. if you ever met em irl (or hell, if you've ever been in the vicinity of me voicechatting), you'd be surprised at how much i hold back stuff i don't online. though online i can still feel uncomfortable about stuff that i can intentionally decide to stray away from because it makes me feel uncomfortable.

which brings me to my next point: i, don't like myself at all. in fact, i hate myself.

i've always thought negatively about myself for as long as i can remember, and it has manifested into this hatred i carry towards myself. i hold no love towards myself, which is why i always want to stick to my friends on the internet because i constantly consume myself with my own darkness. i want them to shed some light over me in hope that i will get away from all this hatred i carry towards myself and love myself. when people say that they love me, i cannot believe that because... why? why bother with me? i don't believe i have any significant impact on other peoples lives, and i can't believe it when people say i do do that to them.

that's about it.

ADHD is actually a very severe mental disorder that can tear apart lives and has ruined families of a few of my friends. The problem is that many people are diagnosed with 'ADHD' when they are merely children who just find school boring or the like which is quite insulting to people actually suffering from the illness. There needs to be a better way to test for ADHD for at the moment there isn't one and most people just pretend to have it to get an aderall prescription, though I don't understand much of the logic to giving speed to people with ADHD.. Saying that I readily abused benzos, anticholinergics and sleeping pills that were prescribed to me but I do also see the benefit in those medications when they're used properly.

• Brohoof 2

I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and, because of that, I used to be (but still kinda am) severely paranoid.

I was at my worst for a few years in a row, and I know most people during that time period thought I was completely crazy. It was hurtful to be written off and ridiculed as nuts, when what I really needed (and eventually got, and probably the only reason I healed some) was for someone to, literally, intentionally extend a hand of friendship - no strings attached - and to not question nor make fun of my "odd actions/reactions" but care unconditionally anyway and hold me while I was crying, even though for years that person had no idea why on earth I'd be crying and falling apart, but that wasn't the point. Then once I felt I trusted that person and slowly opened up the truth of my horrors, that person gave credence to my suffering and past traumas. Instead of telling me, "Don't talk about sad things, talk about happy things," which I did get from some people. Hardly anything else can be more insulting. For someone to care about me as a human being, to care to know why I was so intensely scared all of the time, to allow the flow of information to be only on my terms - no prying - to take the initiative to unravel the truth of what 'created' me. To care about me anyway. To not tell me to "get over it." Needless to say I eventually fell in love and married this wonderful person <3

To this day, though, I'm still so very scared most of the time. If I hear a noise at night, I just know some terrible person is trying to break in, or already inside. My fear causes physical pain and anxiety. Whenever I'm home alone and someone knocks on my door, I hide for hours (anyone who knows me and would visit me knows to call/text first, because under no circumstance will I ever open the door!) Even when it is such a beautiful day outside, like today, I won't go out and enjoy it, not even in my backyard. Not unless someone I trust is with me, plus my mace on me of course. I probably seem like a crazy hermit to my neighbors, never leaving this house, even though I love love love love love being outside. I'm still scared to be near windows that can be seen through. Someone could be watching me.

Also, night terrors. They are worse than a simple 'nightmare' or 'bad dream' (I have all 3) but the night terrors are different because, when I wake up, I'm in physical pain and absolutely gut-wrenched and my nerves are firing off as if I've been stabbed in several places and bleach poured throughout the wounds. Which technically has happened to me in real life, but still...

I am TONS better than I used to be, though. For a few years, I always thought someone was following me, who of course intended horrendous physical and emotional harm. Nowadays I am constantly aware of my surroundings, always with mace in hand, but don't believe-beyond-a-doubt-that-person-is-following-me-and-will-hurt-me.

I agree about the MLP message when the lesson was "we didn't think it was a big deal, but it was a big deal to her, and because of that as friends, we should have cared."

Edited by Iris Melody
  • Brohoof 1

I feel so bad for a lot of people. My only disorder is obsession over my little pony. Oh wait, I drank lamp oil when I was 2 and I got brain damage. I hold title of smartest family member. Under 88. (My genius alcoholic great grandpa is a millionaire for his brain)....why am I talking about being smart again?

Also, night terrors. They are worse than a simple 'nightmare' or 'bad dream' (I have all 3) but the night terrors are different because, when I wake up, I'm in physical pain and absolutely gut-wrenched and my nerves are firing off as if I've been stabbed in several places and bleach poured throughout the wounds. Which technically has happened to me in real life, but still...

I have similar kind of situation, it's awful because when you don't really sleep when you sleep it really has negative domino effect on the rest of your life. I'm a chronic insomniac but the most troubling thing to me is that I actually get stuck in my dreams. I'm screaming at people for help because I can't wake up and I can't move and I think I'm calling and texting people but in reality I'm completely paralysed. I've been in this state for over 12 hours before and it's terrifying because I wake up physically exhausted but I'm so scared of slipping back into sleep because it may be another hour or so before I can break out of it. I also have all sorts of horrid lucid dreams and the like which may have to do with that my hallucinations get a lot worse when it's dark, so when I'm lying in bed my hallucinations will follow me into my sleep.

I stopped taking some of my meds, the antipsychotics, as the hallucinations had stopped for the most part and when I did have them they were good ones but I'm starting to think I may need them again because they've been less sunny recently :/

Do you take any medication for your anxiety, sleep, paranoia etc?

I'm sorry if I offend anypony by saying this but adhd and add do not exist. It's a doctor scam for prescription money. What your actually experiencing is daydreaming and boredom.

Yeah, because having your cerebellum (associated with attention) leak out of your skull and press up against your brain stem won't cause attention problems.

Idk, Does Anxiety and A.D.D count??

Yeah, some people may think that ADHD and ADD aren't real disorders, but they are. Honestly, anyone who thinks that it "doesn't exist" has no idea what it's like to have ADD.