Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Mental Disorders

Reverie

My dad was diagnosed with Major Depression a while ago now, but he's coped with it and managed it well, and is doing a lot better these days, however I have never been diagnosed with anything.

And actually on this note, I just completed my degree in psychology(!) so I could talk a lot about this...Stigma is definitely an issue, even in the general misunderstanding of what mental illnesses are and how to interact with the people that experience them. I think it's good that you've become an advocate, as one of the best ways to stop this 'fear' is with information and patience. It's also good to hear that you're doing well!

There is a reason autism is rare in girls. It's X-chromosomal.

There is that fact, but there are also the socialization factors. Girls are generally spoken to and interacted with a lot more than boys are, and this can help contribute to the level of autism an individual experiences.... At least that's part of the theory.

(edited)

I have Aspergers Syndrome, which was misdiagnosed as ADD early on. Thankfully my parents ignored the doctors that were prescribing all sorts of nonsense.

I know that I don't do well in social situations. (I probably have some sort of phobia, though I've never been tested)

I hate 'just talking' with people, and don't hold idle conversation very well. It has to be about something specific or I just get bored and leave. When talking about a topic that I am knowledgeable about, I tend to 'steamroll' people with info.

Lately I've been working with a counselor and getting on top of these bad habits.

I have this mild OCD that turns on and off. Sometimes everything must be NEAT UND TIDY and absolutely perfect. It's almost always about pointless things. I've wasted ten minutes of an exam making sure the pages were perfectly aligned, before opening it and ruining it all anyway. Yet my desk is a total mess.

I can't explain why I do it, bit I can guarantee you that I'll edit this five seconds later to fix some typo or minor grammar mistake.

What probably got me diagnosed with ADD/ADHD was that if I'm listening to or looking at something I'm not interested in, or something I already know, I'll always find something else to do. I loathe being told something twice.

I also think in base 2. Don't ask me why, or how it works, I just do. Probably why I'm such a computer nerd.

I could probably get myself certified insane, which I half want to for because I think being able to say 'I am insane' would be hilarious.

I'm weird, I know.

Go ahead and hate me, I'm hate proof.

Edited by Raptor_a22

There is a reason autism is rare in girls. It's X-chromosomal.

Huh, interesting. I never knew why it was rare in girls, I only knew it was rare. Really cool to know. Thanks :) I think I was also misdiagnosed with ADD or ADHD, whichever one it was I forgot >.< Then later on my doctor said Autism Spectrum, specifically Asperger's. And Raptor I know how you feel about the OCD thing. I'm the same way.

• 7 years later...

I have Asperger's Syndrome, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Depression. I was diagnosed with ADHD years back, but that has mostly settled down through time.

Yes, I have experience with mental disorders. I have been diagnosed by a few licensed psychiatric doctors with various disorders: panic disorder, major depressive disorder, and borderline personality disorder. I have been taking medications for over five years and it has been a trial & error process. I have only recently received a mixture of medications that work well. I also have some "psychosis tendencies" as my current psychiatrist puts it. With regular therapy and medication management, I have been able to live a normal life.

• Brohoof 1

I had really bad compulsive obsessive disorder when I was a teenager. It was crippling for a while but I overcame it. It's terrible to feel like you've got a  broken brain, especially when it's so necessary to everything. Those were hard times.

I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I was on and off tons of those antidepressants my teenage years. I stopped taking them because they never worked for me and the side effects were horrible. The biggest thing that’s helped me is staying active and taking vitamins. 

major depression, generalized anxiety, and pretty severe social anxiety. i was actually diagnosed with selective mutism as a kid and then diagnosed with social anxiety as an adult. currently on antidepressants that have been working pretty well