Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is FiM now targeting everyone?

Digit

(edited)

So the season finale was awesome. Hands down it was awesome even with singing. And it got me thinking is hasbro finally opening it's eyes to its gender neutral and all age audience? Let's face it this fight scene in what many still deem a "little girls" show was a lot cooler and violent than anything the transformers show has ever done (sorry to the fans of the current transformers if there is I just can't stand the show). So do you think hasbro is Finnally targeting everyone with the show? Or do you think this will be a one time deal? Beware slight spoilers in video.

[HD] MLP - The Finale Fight between Twilight and …:

Edited by Digit
  • Brohoof 8

If nothing else the show's creators are willing to expand the scope of their show. It's not just froo froo princessy crap every time a big villain comes around and even the non-villain episodes have greatly expanded on what the show is capable of.

• Brohoof 8

(edited)

Hasbro has already targeted an older audience at some points, before the season finale. For example: Pinkie Pie's rap in Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3; or some Discord moments (A Glass of Water)...

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Outside of product placement and marketing, the studio is still guiding how the content is implemented, and they have always been good at fan service and pop culture Easter eggs and allowing the occasional epic episode.

I personally prefer the Slice of Life episodes more than the action/adventure episodes, so I hope these small bites of fun stay small bites.

If everything is epic, nothing is epic.

Edited by Jeric
  • Brohoof 14

No. It's DHX that does the real work and we have to thank. Hasbro's just holding the purse strings. (Heck, the last time they were in charge, they ran the franchise into the ground...)

• Brohoof 4

No. It's DHX that does the real work and we have to thank. Hasbro's just holding the purse strings. (Heck, the last time they were in charge, they ran the franchise into the ground...)

Yes but hasbro does have final say on episodes, and because this hasbro property if dhx does something hasbro doesn't like no matter how much they fight it nothing can be done.

This particular version of Tirek was the most dark and disturbing villain in the franchises history, the credit goes the DHX for making it so but even so Hasbro still had to approve this so there probably was quite a bit of back and forth between DHX and Hasbro on this but you can't argue with results. These kind of episodes aren't going to come up very often but with this precedent it is quite possible that we will see more like this and whether it is with original villains or they bring back more G1 villains like Grogar or the Smooze. Hasbro still wants to keep little girls and families on board while still keeping its new found brony audience and of course most bronies are pleased with the depiction of Tirek and I haven't heard any major outcry from parents which is very encouraging.

• Brohoof 9

I haven't heard any major outcry from parents which is very encouraging.

This is by the way quite surprising.

They complained about Derpy saying a few lines, but not about a DBZ fight.

• Brohoof 5

I know, once I calmed down from my fanboying I went "oh shit are we going to another controversy on our hands?"

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I thought the main issue about Derpy was the disconnect between the parent of a child who knew nothing of the personalities and motivations of the adult fan base, and the adult fan base themselves. The average parent would have looked at that episode and thought that the writers were spoofing the mentally challenged, but had no real idea that the fans loved the character and she in a way represented the very fabric of the Brony community. I wasn't a fan at the time, but I DO remember having this exact same discussion with my oldest daughter who was.

Parents complain more about social insensitivity that moderately scary villains. If Tirek smacked Twi in the face ... THEN you would have a few complaints.

Edited by Jeric
  • Brohoof 6

(edited)

fdfdsa fd d asd adf  23r2r r2

Edited by plzremoveaccountfdfd

The average parent would have looked at that episode and thought that the writers were spoofing the mentally challenged,

This right here is a perfect example of parents trying to hard to shelter with out any real knowledge of what they are sheltering from. When did having crossed eyes and a funny voice become the "norms" of being mentally hadicapped? The parents who struck out on this were the ones who should have been censored and a true look at why we are so black and white nowadays. They are probably the parents who will tell their kids that if you want to be happy try your very best not to be different. I believe how I met your mother said it once. Conformity it's the one that is different that is left out in the cold. Apprently this is what parents want to teach their kids. I'm sorry not the point of the post just wanted to say this.

• Brohoof 2

This right here is a perfect example of parents trying to hard to shelter with out any real knowledge of what they are sheltering from. When did having crossed eyes and a funny voice become the "norms" of being mentally hadicapped? The parents who struck out on this were the ones who should have been censored and a true look at why we are so black and white nowadays. They are probably the parents who will tell their kids that if you want to be happy try your very best not to be different. I believe how I met your mother said it once. Conformity it's the one that is different that is left out in the cold. Apprently this is what parents want to teach their kids. I'm sorry not the point of the post just wanted to say this.

I agree with you, especially about the conformity for conformity sake.

To answer your question about how a funny voice and crossed eyes became synonymous with mental handicap ... comedy, satire, and parody. It doesn't say much about society that we base reality off of farce. Though the parents aren't likely to go online and start searching on backstories to characters. Still, it does beg the question why a parent of a 6 year old child would assume that a cartoon aimed at young girls was making fun of the mentally challenged. That is a HUGE jump to make.

• Brohoof 1

@Jeric

Exactly Exactly, it's a perfect example about he we let the media create our perceptions nowadays. And how people jump to conclusions with out all the facts and it actually scares me.

• Brohoof 1

i think that's part of the reason i really liked the season finale.

also, any other dbz fans look at tirek and see a bit of super Android 17?

(or baby from dbgt when bulma blasted him with flux waves)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

i think that's part of the reason i really liked the season finale.

also, any other dbz fans look at tirek and see a bit of super Android 17? (or baby from dbgt when bulma blasted him with flux waves)

Sir a true dbz fan would not see super 17 as akira toriama had nothing to do with gt after they stole his original vision from him \cry lol just nerding out a little bit. I actually thought of trigon from dc ravens dad side note also voiced by Tara strong. Edited by Digit

(edited)

This is by the way quite surprising. They complained about Derpy saying a few lines, but not about a DBZ fight.

Just wait. Give them some time to munch it. It's not even a week from the S4 finale's premiere.

I don't want to be a bad prophet, but when I first saw Tirek as a giant red monster with horns and hoofs, using Dark Magic, I immediately thought: "Wow, Catholics would surely freak out about this". And I already heard from some Catholic Bronies that their parents were not happy seeing the "devil" in their kids' cartoon, and yes, they freaked out. I guess they're already plotting some nasty shit to bomb upon our heads soon :P Record my words on that.

Edit: Congratulations, @@applejock, you won the Godwin's Prize ;)

Edited by SasQ

I don't think it's Hasbro at all. They wouldn't know creativity or excitement if it was plastic wrapped and proposed to them in a boardroom meeting. They recognized this themselves, that's why they hired Lauren in the first place.

Hasbro is not synonymous with the show's creators, that's Studio DHX. To say they are "waking up" I think is not giving them enough credit. They've always known what we are now discovering. That "for little girls" doesn't have to restrict a show in what it can do. To say it's no longer FOR little girls I think is disrespecting the target audience, we are all human after all. Why can't a little girl like big magical explosions as much as she likes castles and dresses?

Can't I enjoy an alien savior that transforms into a big rig as much as I like Shakespeare?

Even though the fight with Tirac and other elements were remarkable and certainly a step up, were they at all immersion breaking? Did that feel like something that, while unexpected, couldn't happen with the setup they had written?

I don't think so, because the creators wanted to create a world that would appeal to it's target audience while still feeling like a breathing, living, fantasy world.

• Brohoof 3

Just wait. Give them some time to munch it. It's not even a week from the S4 finale's premiere.I don't want to be a bad prophet, but when I first saw Tirek as a giant red monster with horns and hoofs, using Dark Magic, I immediately thought: "Wow, Catholics would surely freak out about this". And I already heard from some Catholic Bronies that their parents were not happy seeing the "devil" in their kids' cartoon, and yes, they freaked out. I guess they're already plotting some nasty shit to bomb upon our heads soon :P Record my words on that.Edit: Congratulations, @@applejock, you won the Reductio ad Hitlerum prize ;)

If they do I really hope hasbro and dhx don't take it seriously. Because if they attack MLP then why having they gone after adventure time Were the world's devil actually shows up and walks around sucking souls into his soul sack. Just saying I hope it doesn't come to pass.

• Brohoof 1

To be honest, I don't believe that is the case.  The Rainbow Designs were attrocious and reminded me of nothing but girly toys from the 80's and up. 

The one thing I will say is that Hasbro understands the brony fanbase, while not the intended audience + we are still small compared to the target audience, contributes money to their pockets.  As a result, they aren't going to do anything too drastic.

What probably happened was Hasbro said, "Include the rainbow designs and Twilight's new Crystal Tree Castle in the show.  Beyond that, go nuts and we'll sign off on it."

I just hope we don't get any more alicorns, if they turn the mane6 into alicorn I may relent on that one but I know it won't happen, nor do we get anything super messed up like sparkles added to the rainbow power.  Nor do I want to see that Princess Skyla introduced into the show, Flash Sentry becoming Twilight's love interest, another wedding with Twilight as the bride, etc....

• Brohoof 1

To be honest, I don't believe that is the case.  The Rainbow Designs were attrocious and reminded me of nothing but girly toys from the 80's and up. 

The one thing I will say is that Hasbro understands the brony fanbase, while not the intended audience + we are still small compared to the target audience, contributes money to their pockets.  As a result, they aren't going to do anything too drastic.

What probably happened was Hasbro said, "Include the rainbow designs and Twilight's new Crystal Tree Castle in the show.  Beyond that, go nuts and we'll sign off on it."

I just hope we don't get any more alicorns, if they turn the mane6 into alicorn I may relent on that one but I know it won't happen, nor do we get anything super messed up like sparkles added to the rainbow power.  Nor do I want to see that Princess Skyla introduced into the show, Flash Sentry becoming Twilight's love interest, another wedding with Twilight as the bride, etc....

But I loved Twilight's new pad . . .  :(

Seriously it's a treehouse castle! It's got a COUNCIL ROOM! You know you're awesome when you have a Council of something or other.

And I did like the Rainbow designs. Hope they'll sort of take the place of the Elements as the "super powerful thing we bust out in a pinch" though the Mane Six are so awesome by this point, I doubt they'll really need them.

• Brohoof 1

I think that sort of thought is sort of an implication that action or coolness or violence isn't for "little girls". Granted, you're correct in saying that it's definitely not being stereotypical in what is commonly thought of as a "girl's show", but do try not to fall into the same stereotypes the fandom is trying to shake off. Not three years ago were the lot of us complaining about being stereotyped about watching something deemed unmasculine or playing in a park that doesn't belong to us.

If we want the pretty pony princess park to be open to us, we have to in turn open up the battlefield for them.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

I think that sort of thought is sort of an implication that action or coolness or violence isn't for "little girls". Granted, you're correct in saying that it's definitely not being stereotypical in what is commonly thought of as a "girl's show", but do try not to fall into the same stereotypes the fandom is trying to shake off. Not three years ago were the lot of us complaining about being stereotyped about watching something deemed unmasculine or playing in a park that doesn't belong to us.

If we want the pretty pony princess park to be open to us, we have to in turn open up the battlefield for them.

I'm sorry your correct my wording was off I'm glad you saw that I didn't mean it wasn't for little girls. Bad wording on my part. I just ment it showed itself in a new light more catered to both genders rather than what the original demographic was.

To e completely clear I believe cartoons to be a universal thing. I have for many years PPG was aimed at little girls when I was a kid and it was by far the most violent show on cartoon network outside of toonami and I loved it as well as my cousin loved dexters lab which aimed for the boys.

Edited by Digit