Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do some Bronies get extreme in defending their waifus?

HorsesandMOARGaloar

(edited)

If people are legit getting upset about somebody stealing "their waifu", and I mean legit legit, they may need some help, like the guy who literally stuck his manhood inside a Twilight plushy and for whatever reason thought it was okay to post on a forum. >_>

I feel I must point out that some... "people" make dakimakura that are designed for this. And yeah, I'm pretty damn sure there are some MLP-based ones.

But yeah, it's not just a brony phenomenon. The concept has probably been around for as long as widely-distributed fiction has been available.

Edited by Graveyard Duck

If people are legit getting upset about somebody stealing "their waifu", and I mean legit legit, they may need some help, like the guy who literally stuck his manhood inside a Twilight plushy and for whatever reason thought it was okay to post on a forum. >_>

So long as he absolutely must post that somewhere he only posts it in places where that sort of material is allowed, he is not really harming anyone. I am not going to sit here and pretend that someone humping a plushie isn't a little strange but objectively speaking so long as they place no implicit emotional value on said plushie is it really that much stranger than using a regular sex toy? 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

So long as he absolutely must post that somewhere he only posts it in places where that sort of material is allowed, he is not really harming anyone. I am not going to sit here and pretend that someone humping a plushie isn't a little strange but objectively speaking so long as they place no implicit emotional value on said plushie is it really that much stranger than using a regular sex toy?

if he wanted a twilight sex toy he should have gone to bad dragon their Mary the anthro mare masturbation sleeve comes in mane6 colors I think at one they also made sex dolls of the mane 6

Not only bronies, I've seen cases of every fandom ever. I think it's very stupid, I mean, how in the hell they expect to marry a fictional character in the first place? Having a crush is fine (I've been there more than once), but going to extremes of raging when they are taken or another fan claiming them as their waifu is very dumb  >_> . Not to mention most of them hate Justin Bieber, they act exactly the same way as the believer regarding their idol, remember how many sent death threats and punched Selena Gomez, when she was his girlfriend? 

I'm honestly not really surprised by this at all. Expect to find cases of people fighting over their waifus in every single fandom there is.

The reasons they are way too defensive about their waifus are, 1, they could be really lonely and they're stuck with a fictional character that only exists in their imagination. Or 2, they could have a mental disorder (if that could even be possible, I mean, seeing non-existing characters). Or 3, they could be so obsessed with a franchise, that they want to marry someone that's part of the cast. Or 4, their just so damn crazy and/or have nothing better to do.

But me? Well look, I have a "waifu", named Pinkie Pie. It's just that I know what's real and what's not. I know that deep down inside, there's no way I could even meet her no matter how much I wish and daydream, other than having a pony dream by some crazy coincidence.

Edited by SnipSnap
  • Brohoof 1

On the actual topic: I've only ever seen waifu arguments go overboard once, and that was when a dude was calling another dude an idiot for having a waifu.

Which brings me to my next point:

If you honestly think that people who are serious with their waifus are "creepy", then you need to think about yourself for a second. You probably shouldn't say anything because if someone said that watching MLP was creepy I bet $100 you would get at least a bit defensive about it.

Honestly, it's none of your business. If it doesn't hurt anyone personally (physically or mentally) and they don't go showing it off to everyone, then it's not a big deal. This goes for many, many, many, many things.

• Brohoof 1

Shipping = liking to see two characters from fictional media be together, AKA date.

Waifu = having an IRL attraction, whether emotional or physical, to a fictional character.

So, basically both are obessing about ficitonal characters?

One gets angry and defensive if their favourite ship has disrpoven and the other one gets angry and defensive if their favourite character gets paired up.

Not so much difference. Mostly genderwise, the former rather female, the latter rather male.

So, basically both are obessing about ficitonal characters?

One gets angry and defensive if their favourite ship has disrpoven and the other one gets angry and defensive if their favourite character gets paired up.

Not so much difference. Mostly genderwise, the former rather female, the latter rather male.

uh, both genders can do both, you know.

plus not everyone cries about shipping or waifus. only the people who can't take the truth. i certainly as hell don't.

uh, both genders can do both, you know.

plus not everyone cries about shipping or waifus. only the people who can't take the truth. i certainly as hell don't.

That's what i meant.

Both can be but you will find that there will be more guys in the waifu part and more girls into the shipping part.

That's what i meant.

Both can be but you will find that there will be more guys in the waifu part and more girls into the shipping part.

I won't "find", because there isn't any solid proof.

I'm a guy but I ship ships.

Plus I won't cry if someone likes what I don't; in fact sometimes those ships are alright as well.

Just sayin' bruh.

Edited by oranjebleus

Maybe i haven't encountered this yet, but never have i seen two bronies fighting over a pony waifu. Though, i admit, that sounds entertaining to watch.

Shipping = Scarlett O'Hara marries Ashley not Rhett

Waifu = deep intrinsic personal love ... real love ... for a fictional character.

IRL Shipping = 2013 me me hoping that my sister-in-law marries her boyfriend because they are great together

IRL Waifu = deep intrinsic personal love ... real love ... for a living person.

Crazy tally 0/4

Normal tally 4/4

My views anyway. Shipping and waifus are different

Their real life counterparts are (emotionally) pretty damn close

Wait is this for real? I thought people were joking when they "complain" about characters or other users stealing their waifu. You're telling me they are actually upset? lol I think some people here need some professional help

Edited by LZRD WZRD
  • Brohoof 1

In an odd, twisted kind of way, if I was a creator, I'd love to see people do this over my characters. It shows that you've created a character that's very highly appreciated and there are people that can connect to it.

In a sincere sense, these people enjoy these characters immensely, like pretty much anyone who likes the show does. Enjoying a character enough to call them your favorite is one thing, and so may be making your fandom for that particular character know. However, developing a unhealthily specific obsession to a single character to the point where you begin to treat it like a real person calls for a reality check.

The other character cannot exist on the same plane as you. It cannot return your love, it doesn't even know who you are. And, being fictional, it doesn't even exist in our world, or for that matter, any world that is real to us. It's fun as a joke, but if you actually think this is going to happen you are seriously deluding yourself.

Here's a rant from YouTuber youngbloodfantasy92 (now youngbloodfantasy91, and notably a non-brony) on the same phenomenon in the Sonic fanbase and why it drove him to quit.

well, a person who would get real defensive over that kinda thing is most likely the jealous type. it wouldn't matter if the object of their affection was fictional or not, cause they will react the same. i mean, there are people out there who are jealous and possessive of their irl loves, so its not that far of a stretch for there to be people who would do the same in taking a waifu.

after all, the feelings are the same regardless of whether they love a real person or a fictional character.

Irrational, yes, in both cases, and it can even cause problems in a relationship.

as for me, I'm not the jealous type, so for others to have the same feelings or desires towards someone i have a crush on, no big deal.

even if i was dating someone, and others were checking her out or compliment her, or even making suggestive comments towards her, or whatever, i would be ok, even flattered, provided she's ok with it. if she isn't ok with it, or if you make her uncomfortable, then I'm not gonna like it.

in short, If she's cool with it, than I'm cool with it. if she don't like it, then neither do I. piss her off, and you'll end up on the sidewalk.

I don't have a waifu, nor will I ever so I can't say for certain.

Maybe it has a lot to do with possession over a character or something.

But I find a lot of the time people are just messing around. Well, wouldn't we want to say something if somebody started talking smack about our favourite characters?

i always thought the whole "having a waifu" thing was a joke, basically to express someone is your favourite character.

No. fav character and waifu are different. For example, Rarity is my favorite character in the MLP universe. I enjoy and deeply appreciate all of the aspects of her character. Its an admiration similar to what I feel for characters like Holden Caulfield in Cather in the Rye. It is an emotional and critical appreciation. To some of my friends however, Rarity is something greater. They love her as if one would love a girlfriend or wife. They get the same emotional connection that I do when I think of my real wife.

I have to be honest, I snicker whenever I hear the term waifu said as if this is a new concept. Far from. It is as old as the oldest theistic faith. Instead of being packaged around a Goddess of Wisdom, it is a brightly colored pony. You can fall in love with anything. With love comes it's neighbor jealously.

Love is a funny thing.

:D