Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pegasus Streaks

ggg-2

the streaks that some Pegasi leave behind when they fly, like Dashie's rainbow streak, the Wonderbolts' streak of storm clouds, and even the streak Twi left behind in the season four finale, how do they work? is it magic caused by the power of flight or something else?

@@ggg-2,

an aircraft produces a stream behind it called contrail, this is caused by the sudden drop in the prssure behind the wing which makes the water in the air to condensate, i bet that being Pegasus's wings not much aerodynamics on that point of view, and their incredibly speed compared to the one of a standard bird, causes them to cause this contrails, plus some  ponies with a particual talent on their flight, like RD or Lighting Dust, may leave in this trails, some of the magic of their cutie mark, the wonderbolts may use some smoke machines or stuff to make a bigger scene, for instance this

frecce-tricolori.jpg

• Brohoof 1

probably a simple speed blur in the case of Twilight, Rainbow and Lighting Dust.

The wonderbolts might be using the pegusi's cloud manipulation to create the trails they leave behind. 

I have it in my head that any pegasus, as part of the ability of their flight, would leave some sort of streak behind them if they went fast enough. Ponies like Rainbow Dash and Lightning Dust tend to do it constantly because of their natural talents at flying, but others like Twilight would also do it if charged up enough (as we saw in the finale).

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to giggle at the thought of Derpy leaving a trail of bubbles behind her if she got that extreme.

It sort of reminds me of the stuff that came from behind the Powerpuff Girls whenever they flew around, I always wondered as a kid what that stuff is and heck I still wonder, so when I saw Twilight flying or Rainbow Dash or even the Wonderbolts I immediately thought Powerpuff Girls.

post-5578-0-72730400-1400464421_thumb.png

post-5578-0-06382700-1400464426_thumb.jpg

(edited)

@MLPFanatic34 well we ARE talking about a cartoon created by Lauren Faust.....and Twilight IS voiced by Tara Strong/Bubbles.....

Edited by ggg-2

It sort of reminds me of the stuff that came from behind the Powerpuff Girls whenever they flew around, I always wondered as a kid what that stuff is and heck I still wonder, so when I saw Twilight flying or Rainbow Dash or even the Wonderbolts I immediately thought Powerpuff Girls.

PowerPuff_Girls.png

Powerpuff-Girls-4.jpg

I guess @Doc. Volt's explanation also applies here.
  • Brohoof 1

It's probably a combination of contrail and for visual stimulation,of showing how fast they're going.I mean, the colours are all the same as their mane/tail colours. It just looks good. It's a "blur" effect. Like you often see in cartoons, such as the Powerpuff Girls example above.To show a visual sense of speed. Even in real life, you see the "blur" effect. I've been to a few Nascar races, and the cars literally go by in a blur of colour.

For the Wonderbolts, I always figured it was a type of pegasi magic. But the normal contrails that flow behind Rainbow I always figured for motion blur.

According to the Powerpuff Girls wiki page, it's energy projection, so pink for Blossom, blue for Bubbles and green for Buttercup obviously. Also I know I sound dumb here, but I NEVER knew the Powerpuff Girls had teleportation, energy fists, the ability to multiply, and spontaneously catching on fire.

I actually always assumed that it's like a color trail, like if you wave your hand real fast in front of your face, you'll see a fade trail of color from where your hand is moving so quickly. 

(Hope that made sense! ^^")

I assumed that was how Dashie's trail worked, but it could be some of their Pegasi magic as well! ^^

• Brohoof 1