Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls is no longer canon!

Forlong

Okay, I have every reason to believe that Equestria Girls is definitely not canon.  This line wipes all 72 minutes of that film from the series bible:

"Last time you were [at the Cyrstal Empire], you got the Crystal Heart to Princess Cadance in time to save this entire empire from destruction!"

~Princess Twilight Sparkle

This means that the events of EQG couldn't happen before that episode, because Spike went to the Crystal Empire.  And the movie can't come after this episode, because Twilight is used to flying and her royal title by then.

Standard expanded universe rule: it is only retconned if major points in the plot are completely contradicted by the source material.  Since Spike's presence in the movie is so important to the movie, and this episode contradicts that event; the movie can no longer be considered canon.

So...in the FiM continuity, Flash isn't incredibly two-dimensional and bland?

• Brohoof 13

So...in the FiM continuity, Flash isn't incredibly two-dimensional and bland?

I'm afraid this at the very least is still true. ;)

I still maintain that when we saw Twilight fly at the end of Season 3, it was akin to a burst of flight ability that one would get upon receiving wings. Much like how a foal gets sudden surges of magic a la Baby Cakes - that reinstates EQG into the continuity.

Although wasn't there already a tweet from McCarthy that said it wasn't canon to begin with?

• Brohoof 10

(edited)

fdfdfdasdaaweawewereererf

Edited by ,,,

I don't really mind if Equestria Girls is canon or not. However if Hasbro is going to make a movie involving portals to other dimensions, they should make a movie based off of the current comic arc. (The one with good Sombra.)

You might as well say Cutie Mark Chronicles is not canon because of Maud in the picture in Pinkie Pride.

I have a better proof than a mere continuity derp.

1.JPG

Nice try.

Pinkie_Pie_and_the_Rockin%27_Ponypalooza

This book clears up that little inconstancy.

This isn't some absence of a background character.  This is a complete contradiction to the content of the movie.  Twilight said that Spike saved the Crystal Empire last time he was there.  Obviously, she didn't find out that he stowed away on that train, so that's not a problem.  However, Spike was a key element of Equestria Girls.  Disregarding his presence there requires completely throwing out the movie.

Also, I recall those tweets being before this episode came out.  Wasn't this the same woman who said Flash Sentry wasn't a character in season 4?  You remember how accurate that turned out to be?

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Nice try.

This book clears up that little inconstancy.

This isn't some absence of a background character.  This is a complete contradiction to the content of the movie.  Twilight said that Spike saved the Crystal Empire last time he was there.  Obviously, she didn't find out that he stowed away on that train, so that's not a problem.  However, Spike was a key element of Equestria Girls.  Disregarding his presence there requires completely throwing out the movie.

Also, I recall those tweets being before this episode came out.  Wasn't this the same woman who said Flash Sentry wasn't a character in season 4?  You remember how accurate that turned out to be?

Nice try? What? You're the one who's trying to prove a movie you simply didn't like is not canon. By that example I was just trying to show that MLP is NOT above continuity derps. Those things happen all the time. It's not Polsky's fault the one line he derped out on you were able to exploit with the butterfly effect.

---

Equestria Girls was an official release from Hasbro, was made by DHX, it's music was composed by Ingram & Anderson, ALL the voice actors reprised their roles and was even written by McCarthy, the present most important writer in the show. If that doesn't scream "canon" then I don't know what does. Oh, and I'm pretty sure no one from the crew has ever said it was not canon.

Au contraire, McCarthy did say it was canon.

Ps.: Meghan had nothing to do with Flash's return. And even if she did, there was no way she was going to tell the truth about S4 that wasn't even out yet. Embargo and all that.

Edited by ThePreciseClimber
  • Brohoof 15

It was never really canon to begin with, it could easily be ignored and nothing would really change

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

It's very hard to know if the movie is canon or not, because there are some continuity errors in it.

Like the comics, I think it's (not) canon if you (don't) want it to be canon.

Edited by Blobulle

A direct contradiction in dialog does not mean something is no longer cannon. That isn't how it works.

I told my wife that we had Rib Eye just last week when we were talking about dinner tonight. She didn't say anything and it was decided that we will have chicken. BUT, I remembered later that we didn't have steak ... I froze the damn think. So for those few hours of forgetfulness did that moment actually change in my past because I made a stupid comment. No.

I lost count at the amount of Star Trek and Star Wars continuity errors in the show/films.

• Brohoof 3

1.JPG

(3rd Tweet)

Ugh, how confusing. Does anyone know the proper term of "canon"? I think the world would be a happier place if the term had an easy definition.

So basically..Equestria Girls happened, but it doesn't effect the show.

I'm not even sure what to say about this, lol. It's kind of confusing.

If Equestria Girls took place in the official story line, then why doesn't Cadence mention Twilight returning to take on the human world.

Hands!

Maybe it was intended that Cadence forgot? Or maybe the writers didn't remember it? Someone needs to tweet Meghan and ask her to solve this. ^^"

Or heck, I will if I can think of what to tweet her. ^^"

If I remember the end of EQG correctly, everything wraps up nicely doesn't it. The element is back, Sunset Shimmer was stopped, and Twilight returned. The only continued reminder of it is the occasional "Brad" sighting. I'm sure they tried to make EQG have as little impact on the actual series as possible. Also something that I just realized, only Twilight and Spike went there. They don't have anyone else to remember it with so there is almost no point in bringing it up really since that world is all fixed. I'm curious how they will handle Rainbow Rocks. I hope in the least it is just "Well, lets scrap the whole worlds are linked by the mirror thing and have this brand new world with all the ponies happening to be humans." It would be stupid if Twilight has to go back for some boring reason again. Some new villain also escaped into the human world and Twilight has to go back once again, and in the mean time starts a rock band.

I really don't like EQG.

(3rd Tweet)

Ugh, how confusing. Does anyone know the proper term of "canon"? I think the world would be a happier place if the term had an easy definition.

If Equestria Girls took place in the official story line, then why doesn't Cadence mention Twilight returning to take on the human world.

Hands!

Maybe it was intended that Cadence forgot? Or maybe the writers didn't remember it? Someone needs to tweet Meghan and ask her to solve this. ^^"

Basically, it happened, but it didn't. In order to negate even more bleed over and errors in the timeline of their show, they keep it separate unless hasbro directly calls for it to take part. Kind of like the previous seasons of power rangers in relations to the newer season. It happened, but other than the one or two crossover episodes, it does not effect the story line or characters of the current and main story.
  • Brohoof 1

(3rd Tweet)

Hands!

I think the confusion stems from two points: Meghan, bless her soul, apparently doesn't completely understand what "canon" means in the context of fictional work; second, she seems to want to please both camps, i.e., those who liked EqG and those who want to disassociate MLP from the events of the film. Her first response is the clearest: EqG happened; however, in keeping with her subsequent responses, none of the characters are going to bother making references to that which occurred in EqG.

With respect to Cadance and Twilight's responses, I offer that they were pointing out the last time Spike had an active role in the Crystal Empire's affairs. Ponies remember him for saving the land but not for diving into an alternate world about which no one other than the Mane Six and the princesses are aware.

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

Or there could just be the fact that some ponies may not have realized Spike was there again, since he didn't really do much in the Crystal Empire in EqG. Whoever said that line may have just forgotten or not realized that he'd been back since.

Edit: So it appears that it was Cadence who said that. That does make it a little stranger. But then again, what Adorkable said below me.

Edited by Henny Penny Benny

In terms of Cadance's response, I offer that she was pointing out the last time Spike had an active role in the Crystal Empire's affairs. Ponies remember him for saving the land but not for diving into an alternate world about which no one other than the Mane Six and the princesses are aware.

I can understand that, it was in the Equestria Games episode, right? I would make sense, since Spike played a huge role in that episode. But dang it, Hasbro, we need some references!

(edited)

You want to really mess things up? DHX can hire Abrams for a project since he tears canon from fandom to feed his dark desires. Lost is just a crazy mess of confusion and contradiction so dense it's hard to determine what is canon and what is headcanon. Star Trek canon in his way ... he feasts on the souls of Vulcan. He recently bathed in the blue blood of Thrawn with the announcement that the Star Wars books don't matter. If MA Larson hires him, God help us all.

Seriously though, it varies from creative team to creative team. It also changes. Canon is a nebulous friggen annoyance when you aren't dealing with the original source material. At the snap of a finger MLP can call something cannon or visa versa. They can also retcon anything they choose, or simply call something an artistic exaggeration. It happens so often in comic books that I learned long ago to ignore it.

Cannon is nebulous authorial intent is (IMO) unimportant. I look at it this way, if one bite of my dinner looks bad, I cut around it. I won't eat it.

Edited by Jeric

Nice try? What? You're the one who's trying to prove a movie you simply didn't like is not canon. By that example I was just trying to show that MLP is NOT above continuity derps. Those things happen all the time. It's not Polsky's fault the one line he derped out on you were able to exploit with the butterfly effect.

---

Equestria Girls was an official release from Hasbro, was made by DHX, it's music was composed by Ingram & Anderson, ALL the voice actors reprised their roles and was even written by McCarthy, the present most important writer in the show. If that doesn't scream "canon" then I don't know what does. Oh, and I'm pretty sure no one from the crew has ever said it was not canon.

Au contraire, McCarthy did say it was canon.

Ps.: Meghan had nothing to do with Flash's return. And even if she did, there was no way she was going to tell the truth about S4 that wasn't even out yet. Embargo and all that.

And there it is.  The standard weak defensive counterargument.

I said that Equestria Girls is no longer canon based on the fact that information in an episode of the source material directly contradicts the events in it.  McCarthy herself classified the movie as a spinoff, so the show trumps it, if any contradictions are found.

You assumed that I said it wasn't canon because I don't like it.

Setting aside the fact that you are completely wrong about my opinion on movie, you had no reason to assume my reasons for saying that it wasn't canon was based on anything but logical reasoning.

Try actually countering an argument instead of discrediting who you're arguing with.

I don't think that one little line is enough evidence to prove that the events in EQG did not occur. It could be pretty easily explained away by saying that the EQG incident simply slipped Twilights mind when she said it.

• Brohoof 5