Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls is no longer canon!

Forlong

I don't see how people keep getting upset by this. He only shows up in S4 twice, both of which lasted for mere seconds. If your gonna argue that 5 second cameos actually hurt the show's continuity, then you need to seriously rethink your standards

Fuck North Korea, fuck Russia, World War III will start because of this  >_>

img-2668342-1-equestriagirlscanon_zps9dd

I still say that this is evidence for one way.

Because there isn't really any reason to believe that Meghan has since changed her mind. If you want to ask her for final clarification, then go ahead. The Internet makes this possible.

Equestria Games was written and aired after that tweet was made, thus could retcon it.  I don't think farther confirmation is needed.  Regardless of it being canon or not, is doesn't take away or add to canon all that much.  Flash is in the show, so he exists one way or the other.  The mirror in this movie is referenced in the comics, so it exists one way or the other.

Equestria Games was written and aired after that tweet was made, thus could retcon it.  I don't think farther confirmation is needed.  Regardless of it being canon or not, is doesn't take away or add to canon all that much.  Flash is in the show, so he exists one way or the other.  The mirror in this movie is referenced in the comics, so it exists one way or the other.

I agree that it doesn't REALLY matter one way or the other either. I just think it's a bit silly to claim that something is not canon just because of an insignificant line in an episode. Just like it's silly to claim that Hearth's Warming Eve is no longer canon because Fluttershy said in Filli Vanilli that she is afraid of singing on stage despite her doing so, confidently, in Hearth's Warming Eve.

If it makes you feel better to believe that EqG is no longer canon, then that's fine. It doesn't make it true across the board, however. I personally work my way around that canon derp by saying that Twilight misspoke. People do that all the time and don't get corrected, even if they know once they think about it that what they said wasn't literally true.

Also the comics may or may not be canon... not really sure about that one to be honest.

Just because it was mentioned here whether the comics are canon or not i fortunately have an answer to this... YOU CAN COMPLETELY IGNORE THE COMICS IF YOU WANT TO! The official statement is that "They are canon only if you want them to be." and this can easily settle your contradictions about Velvet writying the Daring do books... Which while plausible is still unconfirmed. I personally have used it to completely ignore "The return of Queen Chrysalis" as i think of it as a BAD comic overall. Derailing over.

Just because it was mentioned here whether the comics are canon or not i fortunately have an answer to this... YOU CAN COMPLETELY IGNORE THE COMICS IF YOU WANT TO! The official statement is that "They are canon only if you want them to be." and this can easily settle your contradictions about Velvet writying the Daring do books... Which while plausible is still unconfirmed. I personally have used it to completely ignore "The return of Queen Chrysalis" as i think of it as a BAD comic overall. Derailing over.

Wasn't that Daring Do Award just that, an award?

Wasn't that Daring Do Award just that, an award?

I haven't particularly noticed the scene but you ignored my statement that mattered... "Comics are canon only if you want them to be."

(edited)

I agree that it doesn't REALLY matter one way or the other either. I just think it's a bit silly to claim that something is not canon just because of an insignificant line in an episode. Just like it's silly to claim that Hearth's Warming Eve is no longer canon because Fluttershy said in Filli Vanilli that she is afraid of singing on stage despite her doing so, confidently, in Hearth's Warming Eve.

I don't think that's a fair comparison. Your example is just the writers backpeddling on Fluttershy's character development as they always have (Notice in every episode that Fluttershy conquers her shyness, she's back to being extremely shy soon after). Nowhere is it implied that the events in Hearth's Warming Eve never occurred. Forlong's example is the writers straight up saying "The events shown in Equestria Girls did not happen in the FIM chronology". Of course, it is possible that they just happened to forget about Equestria Girls when writing that line, but I don't think that's likely if the writers truly considered Equestria Girls canon. You'd think they would proofread a line like that. "Hey, are we positive that Spike hasn't been to the Crystal Empire since then?".

I've always seen Equestria Girls as a side-story seperate from FIM, so I can't say I'm surprised by the writers acknowledging it.

Edited by Rivendare

Equestria Girls is awful. I try to pretend it doesn't exist. But the comics mention it. So if it's canon with the comics, and the comics are canon with the show, then by the associative property, MLP is ruined.

(edited)

Equestria Girls is awful. I try to pretend it doesn't exist. But the comics mention it. So if it's canon with the comics, and the comics are canon with the show, then by the associative property, MLP is ruined.

Luckily I had this pick on standby!

img-2680556-1-332532__UNOPT__safe_transf

Really? The show is ruined because this spin-off series is canon? You can easily ignore it! The actual show itself it still good (this season IMO was the show's best) so just ignore Equestria Girls and enjoy the damn show.

I mean really this is just silly. The show's had some bad episodes before and this is the thing that ruins it? Just regard it as a bad chapter in the shows history and move on! Whether EqG is canon or not shouldn't even make a difference!

Edited by The Coffee Man
  • Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

It's canon peeps, deal with it B)

And really, who cares? It's not like the film was atrocious. If nothing else, I think it's good for some laughs. Also, it's not like it affected anything in the show, so I don't understand why y'all are so upset about it

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Not that it matters too much to me, but at least I won't have to think of those horrible Bratz incarnations of the Mane 6.

And Spike dog. Ugh that was a horrible insult to MLP:FiM, Spike, and dogs. I know Spike is Twilight's bitch, but he's not actually a bitch.  :wat:

And yes before a smartass points out that Spike was a male dog and hence not a "bitch," he may as well have been 1. Sometimes I think he's better off moving to the Crystal Empire.

Edited by Cwanky
  • Brohoof 2

• 7 months later...

I don't see how its not canon, I mean, the movies are basicly episodes but longer. Its not like the comic books in that the comic's creative teams are different and they are different mediums. Equestria girls is basicly the show!

But head-canoning that its not is fine too I guess, but its still officially canon.

Edited by Zoraxe

AFAIK the situation with EqG is very similar to the comics. The movies have no bearing on the story-telling of the show, but the events still happen within the universe of FiM.

• Brohoof 1