Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls is no longer canon!

Forlong

(edited)

It's entirely possible that Cadance forgot that Spike was with them in the Crystal Empire when Twilight went to the human world.

Or that the writers derped.

As if any other franchise has made perfectly aligned worlds with no plot holes or inconsistencies, ever. I mean my goodness, in How I Met Your Mother, there was an episode about how Barney doesn't have his drivers' license because he is scared shitless of driving, and several episodes later he is driving a car around and getting pulled over on purpose to flirt with policewomen. In Code Geass, Mao is shot at several times by policemen and is presumed dead, yet comes back in a later episode saying that it was because of the advances in modern medicine that kept him alive. Except that there are far more important characters who die from less severe wounds and the modern medicine couldn't keep these significantly more important characters alive.

If you want to believe that Equestria Girls is not canon, then fine - make that your headcanon and be done with it.

But one teeny bit of insignificant dialogue does not make something "no longer canon." That's ridiculous.

Edited by RockinRarity
  • Brohoof 3

It's just a simple writing mistake I think, or perhaps them just taking a liberty to not mention EqG in season 4. EqG is canon whether anyone likes it or not, it may not be a huge event in the grand scheme of the FiM universe but it still happened. :P

• Brohoof 1

But one teeny bit of insignificant dialogue does not make something "no longer canon." That's ridiculous.

If one line throws EqG out the canonical door, does that mean the presence of Flash Sentry counteracts it? Or will more waifus be stolen in the near future?

• Brohoof 1

If one line throws EqG out the canonical door, does that mean the presence of Flash Sentry counteracts it? Or will more waifus be stolen in the near future?

Or does it mean that the existence of Equestria Girls means that the line that Cadance says is not canon? Or that it makes the entire episode not canon?

Or what about how in Filli Vanilli Fluttershy said that she was too shy to sing in front of people even though she sang on stage in Hearth's Warming Eve? Does this mean, then, that Hearth's Warming Eve is not canon?

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Yeah, no. The show has little continuity errors within itself and EqG was clearly supposed to be canon. I think the movie sucks ass, but the people trying to say it isn't canon just have no leg to stand on.

I said that Equestria Girls is no longer canon based on the fact that information in an episode of the source material directly contradicts the events in it. McCarthy herself classified the movie as a spinoff, so the show trumps it, if any contradictions are found.

She said herself it's canon. (In as much as the events happened in their universe, but it doesn't have a big enough effect on the show that you'd have to see it to understand all the episodes.) You're simply wrong, if any contradictions are found it just means that they fucked up and that this is still a fictional universe, but the movie does count as having happened in this non-existent world. Edited by Grumpy Enchantress
  • Brohoof 4

Or does it mean that the existence of Equestria Girls means that the line that Cadance says is not canon?

The line was Twilight's.

Yeah, no. The show has little continuity errors within itself and EqG was clearly supposed to be canon. I think the movie sucks ass, but the people trying to say it isn't canon just have no leg to stand on.

She said herself it's canon. (In as much as the events happened in their universe, but it doesn't have a big enough effect on the show that you'd have to see it to understand all the episodes.) You're simply wrong, if any contradictions are found it just means that they fucked up and that this is still a fictional universe, but the movie does count as having happened in this non-existent world.

This isn't a little continuity error.  A little continuity error is one source implying that Twilight Velvet wrote Daring Do, but another saying that it was Daring Do herself.  This is disregarding how many times Spike has been to the Crystal Empire.  He was there three times before.  How hard is it to keep track of that?  You're saying that we should expect the crew not to know how to do their jobs.  Nice to know you have such a high opinion of them.

As for the quotes of McCarthy, those were from a year ago.  Word of God is the most sketchy canon.  Lauren said that Cadence was supposed to be a unicorn.  Are we supposed to ignore the episodes and books that say anything contrary to that?  No.  McCarthy's statement about it being canon is no longer canon either.  I would be willing to question Meghan McCarthy, Dave Polsky, or a similar authority to see if it was indeed an error.  But I'd prefer to think that they aren't foolish enough to make such an obvious mistake.  That is the only way to undo this.  Not with outdated statements and sketchy reasoning.

The line was Twilight's.

This isn't a little continuity error.  A little continuity error is one source implying that Twilight Velvet wrote Daring Do, but another saying that it was Daring Do herself.  This is disregarding how many times Spike has been to the Crystal Empire.  He was there three times before.  How hard is it to keep track of that?  You're saying that we should expect the crew not to know how to do their jobs.  Nice to know you have such a high opinion of them.

As for the quotes of McCarthy, those were from a year ago.  Word of God is the most sketchy canon.  Lauren said that Cadence was supposed to be a unicorn.  Are we supposed to ignore the episodes and books that say anything contrary to that?  No.  McCarthy's statement about it being canon is no longer canon either.  I would be willing to question Meghan McCarthy, Dave Polsky, or a similar authority to see if it was indeed an error.  But I'd prefer to think that they aren't foolish enough to make such an obvious mistake.  That is the only way to undo this.  Not with outdated statements and sketchy reasoning.

So you consider a single sentence, whose only purpose is to make us remember the Sombra episode and how Spike was important in it, a definite proof of EQG non-canon? 

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

The line was Twilight's.

This isn't a little continuity error.  A little continuity error is one source implying that Twilight Velvet wrote Daring Do, but another saying that it was Daring Do herself. 

No, that's about equal to this. That's probably actually a bigger continuity error.  :mellow:

This is disregarding how many times Spike has been to the Crystal Empire.  He was there three times before.  How hard is it to keep track of that?  You're saying that we should expect the crew not to know how to do their jobs.  Nice to know you have such a high opinion of them.

What the actual fuck are you talking about? You're the one that pointed out the error, all I did was say that it doesn't matter because the movie was obviously still intended to take place within the same universe. :wacko: If they fucked up, they fucked up. It's still meant to be canon, though. That's really all.

Also, seriously, it's one damn line. Who cares? It's still the last time he did anything significant in the Crystal Empire as he didn't do shit in Equestria Girls. That's a very, very little error. I'm assuming you're making it a bigger deal than it is because you just don't like Equestria Girls and don't want it to be canon, but you're hunt for anything to make it non-canon was unsuccessful. Sorry. Twilight became a human and dated Flash Sentry and Spike became a dog and it was proven he's her pet. This is definitive canon.  :derp:

As for the quotes of McCarthy, those were from a year ago.  Word of God is the most sketchy canon.  Lauren said that Cadence was supposed to be a unicorn.  Are we supposed to ignore the episodes and books that say anything contrary to that?  

Lauren didn't say that she was canonly a unicorn, she said that was the original plan and it was changed. Not even remotely comparable.  -_-

McCarthy's statement about it being canon is no longer canon either.  I would be willing to question Meghan McCarthy, Dave Polsky, or a similar authority to see if it was indeed an error.  But I'd prefer to think that they aren't foolish enough to make such an obvious mistake.

img-2660306-1-Rainbow-Dash-Laughter.png

Of course it was a mistake and you have to be kidding yourself not to know that! They wouldn't put in a line to intentionally take away all the hard work they did with the movie that they're proud of. This is a joke, right? I can't believe you think it was intentional.  :lol:

That is the only way to undo this. 

The answer that we know they'd obviously give if we asked them is the only way to prove it's canon. Okay, let's all ask them.  :derp:

Not with outdated statements and sketchy reasoning.

Outdated? Season 4 was finished when she said that. How quickly do you think they make these things? Sketchy reasoning? You mean like taking a random one-off line that was intended for exposition and saying that the writers must have used it to take away their own hard work from the movie. Seriously, dude, I can't even believe you think this was intentional.  >_>

You wanting to not consider it canon is one thing but, thinking this was intentionally done by the creators is just ridiculous. Seriously, no offense or anything, but it's just so obviously a mistake and a tiny one at that.  :wacko:

Edited by Grumpy Enchantress
  • Brohoof 2

Via Meghan's tweet, it's canon since it DID happen in the universe. Therefore, we can use it in debates

Random note, couldn't this mean that Equestria Games isn't canon instead?

No, that's about equal to this. That's probably actually a bigger continuity error.  :mellow:

So...remembering an image in the background of a comic book very few of the fans actually read is MORE important than remembering that plot of the movie that was confirmed by all sources to be canon.  Not a good priority structure.

Sorry. Twilight became a human and dated Flash Sentry and Spike became a dog and it was proven he's her pet. This is definitive canon.  :derp:

And you still pretend that the problem is not liking the movie.  Equestria Girls is hardly of any consequence.  You can ignore it and lose absolutely nothing.  Flash Sentry is still canon, and so is the mirror.  None of the stuff people complain about in this movie go away if it is no longer part of the series bible.

The reason I care is because I honestly want to have consistent continuity.  There exists a continuity error between the show and the movie.  Simplest explanation is that the movie isn't canon anymore.  You argue that the movie is still canon because McCarthy said that it was, and she would never change her mind.

post-3094-0-82303500-1400789986.jpg

Flash_Sentry_introducing_the_dignitaries

Random note, couldn't this mean that Equestria Games isn't canon instead?

It's referenced in Twilight's Kingdom.  This isn't an easy continuity error to deal with.

Nothing new, movies part of a series, are RARELY canon. Most of the time, a movie is just a way to do something different, without impacting the original plot or source material.

Everyone arguing that the movie is canon, shut up please. It's not canon, the original source counters all arguments on its own. It's like trying to argue any of the DBZ movies are canon, when they're not and have been said to not be.

EQG is not official canon, the show has stomped all over it, and threw it into the trash. And don't say, "well FLASH WAS IN DA SHOW"...how do you know? It might not even BE him. You know how many background ponies there are, that LOOK alike or identical? Hell, two side characters are repaints of two mane 6.  Seriously, saying some pony with the same color scheme as Flash appeared once, doesn't mean squat.

• Brohoof 1

So...remembering an image in the background of a comic book very few of the fans actually read is MORE important than remembering that plot of the movie that was confirmed by all sources to be canon.  Not a good priority structure.

And you still pretend that the problem is not liking the movie.  Equestria Girls is hardly of any consequence.  You can ignore it and lose absolutely nothing.  Flash Sentry is still canon, and so is the mirror.  None of the stuff people complain about in this movie go away if it is no longer part of the series bible.

The reason I care is because I honestly want to have consistent continuity.  There exists a continuity error between the show and the movie.  Simplest explanation is that the movie isn't canon anymore.  You argue that the movie is still canon because McCarthy said that it was, and she would never change her mind.

attachicon.gif350059__safe_equestria+girls_spoiler-colon-equestria+girls_twitter_flash+sentry_brad_meghan+mccarthy_season+4_spoiler-colon-s04.JPG

Meghan might have been a bit Jesuitical in her statement regarding Flash Sentry's character not appearing in Season 4. She may have meant the human Flash Sentry is not a character; furthermore, the Flash Sentry we see in Season 4 is never mentioned by name. I think they're the same (i.e., the pony Flash Sentry in Season 4 is the same as the one Twilight encounters in Equestria Girls), but Meghan could end up splitting hairs if she is called out on this.

And you still pretend that the problem is not liking the movie.
I can smell the haterade on your breath through the interwebs.

Equestria Girls is hardly of any consequence.  You can ignore it and lose absolutely nothing.
 You can do the same individually for Look Before You Sleep, Feeling Pinkie Keen, A Dog and Pony Show, Green isn't Your Color, A Bird in the Hoof, Sisterhooves Social, The Cutie Pox, The Mysterious Mare Do Well, Family Appreciation Day, and MMMMystery on the Ponyville Express.

...In fact many people do ignore one or more of those.

This probably isn't the most appropriate section of the forum to make this quip in, but John Calvin would like to have a word with you.

(edited)
You argue that the movie is still canon because McCarthy said that it was, and she would never change her mind.

attachicon.gif350059__safe_equestria+girls_spoiler-colon-equestria+girls_twitter_flash+sentry_brad_meghan+mccarthy_season+4_spoiler-colon-s04.JPG

Your argument is invalid. She didn't change her mind. Flash Sentry's first appearance in Three's a Crowd was done without Meghan's consent or knowledge. She only found out about it after the episode aired.

Edited by The Coffee Man
  • Brohoof 3

I can smell the haterade on your breath through the interwebs.

post-3094-0-97848400-1400794042_thumb.png

Whatever helps you sleep at night.  How I feel about the movie is irrelevant.  The point is that there is an open contradiction between the movie and an episode of the show.

Your argument is invalid. She didn't change her mind. Flash Sentry's first appearance in Three's a Crowd was done without Meghan's consent or knowledge. She only found out about it after the episode aired.

Really?

https://twitter.com/TheBiggestJim/status/465314060901552129

Well, that does seem to be the case.  Statement retracted.

(edited)

What does remembering it have to do with anything? In universe, having two different authors is a bigger mistake than Twilight misspeaking.

And you still pretend that the problem is not liking the movie.  Equestria Girls is hardly of any consequence.  You can ignore it and lose absolutely nothing.  Flash Sentry is still canon, and so is the mirror.  None of the stuff people complain about in this movie go away if it is no longer part of the series bible.

Yeah, the humans part and Flash Sentry being a love interest both go away.

The reason I care is because I honestly want to have consistent continuity.

It's a cartoon. None of it is real and if there's a mistake with the continuity, it is a mistake. Doesn't matter what you want.

There exists a continuity error between the show and the movie.  Simplest explanation is that the movie isn't canon anymore.  You argue that the movie is still canon because McCarthy said that it was, and she would never change her mind.

attachicon.gif 350059__safe_equestria+girls_spoiler-colon-equestria+girls_twitter_flash+sentry_brad_meghan+mccarthy_season+4_spoiler-colon-s04.JPG

img-2662656-1-Flash_Sentry_introducing_t

Except she didn't change her mind there, she lied like she does all the time. The reason this is different is because it has nothing to do with events we haven't seen yet that people want an answer for, it just is canon.

Again, Season 4 was DONE when she said it EqG was canon. They don't make these things the day before they air. You're just completely wrong.

It's referenced in Twilight's Kingdom.  This isn't an easy continuity error to deal with.

Yeah, it really is, Twilight misspoke. The end.

By the way, Spike at Your Service isn't in my headcanon because it completely ruins all the other continuity in the show and features huge mistakes, but guess what, it's still part of the official canon.

Edited by Grumpy Enchantress

The line was Twilight's.

OK so I love how you needed to correct me on this little bit but you address NOTHING ELSE from either of my posts.

Like this:

Or that the writers derped.

And this:

As if any other franchise has made perfectly aligned worlds with no plot holes or inconsistencies, ever. I mean my goodness, in How I Met Your Mother, there was an episode about how Barney doesn't have his drivers' license because he is scared shitless of driving, and several episodes later he is driving a car around and getting pulled over on purpose to flirt with policewomen. In Code Geass, Mao is shot at several times by policemen and is presumed dead, yet comes back in a later episode saying that it was because of the advances in modern medicine that kept him alive. Except that there are far more important characters who die from less severe wounds and the modern medicine couldn't keep these significantly more important characters alive.

Don't forget this:

Or what about how in Filli Vanilli Fluttershy said that she was too shy to sing in front of people even though she sang on stage in Hearth's Warming Eve? Does this mean, then, that Hearth's Warming Eve is not canon?

Look, I hate breaks in continuity as much as the next detail-oriented fangirl. But the best thing to do is to either explain them away without axing material, or, you know, stop caring.

By the way, Spike at Your Service isn't in my headcanon because it completely ruins all the other continuity in the show and features huge mistakes, but guess what, it's still part of the official canon.

Well said.

Just because one wants to erase something from someone's headcanon, it doesn't mean that it automatically means that what their headcanon says is going to be canon for everyone.

• Brohoof 1

Actually, the movie itself isn't canon from the start and Meghan tweeted that confirmed claim herself.

She said herself that the movie did happened but it doesn't affect the storyline in the original TV series so I'm afraid that your argument is completely invalid from the start.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Actually, the movie itself isn't canon from the start and Meghan tweeted that confirmed claim herself.

She said herself that the movie did happened but it doesn't affect the storyline in the original TV series so I'm afraid that your argument is completely invalid from the start.

No, she said it wasn't canon but then showed a misunderstanding of the definition and specified what she meant. It doesn't effect the show, but still happened in universe is what she said (it doesn't have to affect the show to be defined as canon, she misunderstood the definition), this guy is trying to say it didn't happen. Edited by Grumpy Enchantress
  • Brohoof 1

What does remembering it have to do with anything? In universe, having two different authors is a bigger mistake than Twilight misspeaking.

Do you need absolutely everything spelled out for you?

Daring Don't continuity error:

Daring Do being the author of her own books contradicts circumstantial evidence that Twilight Velvet wrote it, based on an award on her wall.

Equestria Games continuity error:

Twilight said that Spike was only at the Crystal Empire once before (disregarding when he sneaked in, because she didn't know) contradicts a key element of the entire plot of the Equestria Girls movie.

You're saying that contradicting a reference to a brony theory in the background is more grievous than contradicting the entire plot of a movie.  I see where your priorities lie.

Except she didn't change her mind there, she lied like she does all the time. The reason this is different is because it has nothing to do with events we haven't seen yet that people want an answer for, it just is canon.

BroYoureMakingReallyHardToLoveAndTolerat

If you read the five posts after mine, you would notice that someone else already pointed out that mistake and I corrected myself.  This makes pointing out the mistake cruel and unnecessary.  Write a letter to Princess Celestia about that, will you?

Again, Season 4 was DONE when she said it EqG was canon. They don't make these things the day before they air. You're just completely wrong.

It takes 8 months to make the average animated show.  Since FiM uses flash, the time could be shorter, but I don't think so.  The tweet in question was made in August of 2013, and Equestria Games aired May of 2014, nine months later.  And, Trade Ya! conveniently proves that episodes are in production until shortly before they air, since it was aired a month after it was supposed to.

So the episode was written after Meghan made that tweet, thus can retcon the statement.

So...you're projecting, are you?  This really doesn't pertain to my point.  I said that I like Equestria Girls and the only reason I think it is no longer canon is because of a real continuity contraction.  Not really like anything you just said there.

OK so I love how you needed to correct me on this little bit but you address NOTHING ELSE from either of my posts.

Fare enough.  I really didn't have much to say.  Dave Polsky made a mistake?  Well, that is a valid theory.  We really have no evidence one way or the other.

(edited)

Aye, there's really no sense in debating this. Whether EqG is canon or not believe what you want and call it a day. You want to believe that's it's canon because of Word of God and pass the line as writing fumble that's fine, I believe that myself because there have been quite a few in the shows past, if you want to believe that it's retconed due that one line, that's fine too. Believe what you want, just know that if you can't take one side's evidence as fact, the other can't exactly take yours as fact either.

Edited by The Coffee Man
  • Brohoof 2

Fare enough.  I really didn't have much to say.  Dave Polsky made a mistake?  Well, that is a valid theory.  We really have no evidence one way or the other.

equestriagirlscanon_zps9dde0aaa.png

I still say that this is evidence for one way.

Because there isn't really any reason to believe that Meghan has since changed her mind. If you want to ask her for final clarification, then go ahead. The Internet makes this possible.

Aye, there's really no sense in debating this. Whether EqG is canon or not believe what you want and call it a day. You want to believe that's it's canon because of Word of God and pass the line as writing fumble that's fine, I believe that myself because there have been quite a few in the shows past, if you want to believe that it's retconed due that one line, that's fine too. Believe what you want, just know that if you can't take one side's evidence as fact, the other can't exactly take yours as fact either.

Bravo. Here here. Rock on. Cheerio. Insert other affirmations.

img-2662656-1-Flash_Sentry_introducing_t

It's referenced in Twilight's Kingdom.  This isn't an easy continuity error to deal with.

I don't see how people keep getting upset by this. He only shows up in S4 twice, both of which lasted for mere seconds. If your gonna argue that 5 second cameos actually hurt the show's continuity, then you need to seriously rethink your standards

• Brohoof 2