Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls is no longer canon!

Forlong

AFAIK the situation with EqG is very similar to the comics. The movies have no bearing on the story-telling of the show, but the events still happen within the universe of FiM.

I like the term 'expanded Universe' when dealing with material like this, its totally up to the individual to pick and choose what to headcanon and the official canon is fuzzy.

But on the other hoof, not considering Equestria Girls canon is like not considering Season 3 canon.

• Brohoof 1

YES, YES, YES, YES.

Thank you so much DHX for making this not canon.

But this was not suppose to be an insult to those who do like it.

Edited by Arctofire
  • Brohoof 1

If they wanted to make it canon to the show, then they should make the movie tie to the plot with the things it added which it didn't.

So, that can be considered a blessing for some who aren't impressed or moved by the EG series with the 2 movies and the upcoming Equestria Academy series.

Comics aren't canon either, because people only seem to count it as canon for certain things, than ignore the rest of it because it doesn't fit their beliefs of the show or events.

EQG is not canon, because the first episode of season 4 kills any chance it had of being canon. At best, it's a side or sub-universe, and it's own little continuity. The biggest reason EQG isn't canon, is after everything that happened, Sunset should've at least been mentioned at some point. Seemed like kinda a big deal with Sunset running off with Twilight's crown...

• Brohoof 1

Comics aren't canon either, because people only seem to count it as canon for certain things, than ignore the rest of it because it doesn't fit their beliefs of the show or events.

EQG is not canon, because the first episode of season 4 kills any chance it had of being canon. At best, it's a side or sub-universe, and it's own little continuity. The biggest reason EQG isn't canon, is after everything that happened, Sunset should've at least been mentioned at some point. Seemed like kinda a big deal with Sunset running off with Twilight's crown...

The creators have already said it's canon but it will remain separate from the actual show. So whether you like it or not, it will always be canon unless they state otherwise. It doesn't matter if it's mentioned in the show or not.

and to further hammer the point in, here is Word of God (In other words, word of the show runner.) confirming it: https://twitter.com/mmeghanmccarthy/status/372926669180264448

However as it is soft canon, you can always pretend it isn't.

Edited by The Coffee Pony
  • Brohoof 2

Out of curiosity why does Sunset Shimmer have to be mentioned at all? The events of EqG have nothing to do with the show, so even if she is mentioned, it would likely be off-screen. Just because she isn't mentioned in an episode doesn't say a whole lot.

And the comics are canon; they just won't be influencing the show anytime soon. That was recently clarified.

• Brohoof 2

Out of curiosity why does Sunset Shimmer have to be mentioned at all? The events of EqG have nothing to do with the show, so even if she is mentioned, it would likely be off-screen. Just because she isn't mentioned in an episode doesn't say a whole lot.

And the comics are canon; they just won't be influencing the show anytime soon. That was recently clarified.

If the events have nothing to do with the show, than they're not canon, since they have zero influence in the overall story, by what you said. Sunset not being mentioned, is like saying what she did never happened, and she doesn't exist. 

And if they're not going to influence the show, than they're not canon outside themselves.

The creators have already said it's canon but it will remain separate from the actual show. So whether you like it or not, it will always be canon unless they state otherwise. It doesn't matter if it's mentioned in the show or not.

and to further hammer the point in, here is Word of God (In other words, word of the show runner.) confirming it: https://twitter.com/mmeghanmccarthy/status/372926669180264448

However as it is soft canon, you can always pretend it isn't.

That's vague, and doesn't say it's canon out side of a learning experience. Not to mention that was a massive coup out, without saying it is or isn't official canon. Hell, by her words, you could easily say EQG was some sugar based dream Twilight had one night, and remembered some events to teach her new things.

If the events have nothing to do with the show, than they're not canon, since they have zero influence in the overall story, by what you said. Sunset not being mentioned, is like saying what she did never happened, and she doesn't exist. 

And if they're not going to influence the show, than they're not canon outside themselves.

That's not how canon always works; though. Just because the Star Wars movies never made mention of characters from the novels or even acknowledged characters that were influential to major characters like Anakin/Vader, doesn't mean they were not canon. Granted that has changed with the advent of the the new movie, but I'm talking about before hand. The general rule was that unless it conflicted with something from the movies, it was canon.

It largely works the same with for Equestria Girls and the IDW comics in regards to the show. AFAIK there are no conflicts between the movies and the show. Again you mention Sunset Shimmer, but just because she isn't mentioned in the show doesn't mean she isn't canon at all.

The comics, of course, do have some conflicts. I know the Nightmare Rarity arc has some issues in regards to Luna's form and how that all takes place within the timeline. I'm unaware of anything that can reconcile that.

In any case, from what all I have seen, the movies & comics are canon to the universe in which "Friendship is Magic" takes. I have yet to see otherwise.

I imagine we might have similar debates once a new series (Either G5 or G4.5) arrives with new protagonists.

Edited by Zoraxe

With that logic you could say that dragonshy isn't canon because the dragon wasn't a complete greedy tyrant. Or magical mystery cure isn't canon because Twilight flew at the end. Or Friendship is Magic and Luna eclipsed aren't canon because nopony new about nightmare moon despite the fact that she has an entire holiday devoted to her. Or doctor who isn't canon because of it's long list of plot holes.

Newsflash: Those things are all canon.

yes, you don't like Equestria Girls and you can deny it's existence, but that doesn't change the fact that it's canon. 

The reason I care is because I honestly want to have consistent continuity.  There exists a continuity error between the show and the movie.  Simplest explanation is that the movie isn't canon anymore.  You argue that the movie is still canon because McCarthy said that it was, and she would never change her mind.

attachicon.gif 350059__safe_equestria+girls_spoiler-colon-equestria+girls_twitter_flash+sentry_brad_meghan+mccarthy_season+4_spoiler-colon-s04.JPG

I don't know if this was intentional or not but she said "not a character"

I am probably just jumping to conclusions but flash sentry was just an anouncer guy and nameless gaurd number 427 in season 4. nameless announcer gaurd ≠ character.

Edited by Vendi

• 7 months later...

Might as well say The Best Night Ever isn't canon because Rarity wasn't angry when she saw Prince Blueblood in Sweet and Elite.

• Brohoof 2

Might as well say The Best Night Ever isn't canon because Rarity wasn't angry when she saw Prince Blueblood in Sweet and Elite.

That's not even the same thing.

Meghan McCarthy said it is canon in a tweet. Before she said that I did believe it to not be canon as well because movies made on cartoons tended to not be canon but if she said it is than well it is.

Equestria Girls is awful. I try to pretend it doesn't exist. But the comics mention it. So if it's canon with the comics, and the comics are canon with the show, then by the associative property, MLP is ruined.

Oh noes!!! MLP is ruined 4ever!!! BECAUSE THE PONIES ARE NOW HUMANS!!! Hide your wife! Hide your kids! Hide your money! Hide your childhood DVD's! Hide your ponies! Hide your Bronies!

Seriously, there's no need to get so worked up about EQG. If you dislike, no problem. But acting on like it destroyed MLP altogether is unneccasary.

When did I get worked up about his opinion?

I would say around this part:

Oh noes!!! MLP is ruined 4ever!!! BECAUSE THE PONIES ARE NOW HUMANS!!! Hide your wife! Hide your kids! Hide your money! Hide your childhood DVD's! Hide your ponies! Hide your Bronies!

I thought EQG was already proven to be canon by the writers tweets...

...why are people so up tight on trying to get EQG to be proven non-canon...

because they don't want yheir precious headcanons ruined

Maybe they shouldn't have made any, In the first place, if they can't be adult enough to accept that it'll get broken by whatever the writers want to- or could- do

• Brohoof 2

It most certainly is canon. It's amusing to me how people get worked up so much over this topic in particular. Say what you want about the quality of the films ... but as far as their authenticy in the FiM universe ... it is what it is.

• Brohoof 3

It most certainly is canon. It's amusing to me how people get worked up so much over this topic in particular. Say what you want about the quality of the films ... but as far as their authenticy in the FiM universe ... it is what it is.

it certainly is amusing, to say the least. Movie provides scenes and events from the same FiMverse, same characters and personalities, same timeline. Same writers. Nope, not canon!

Pul-leeze. Y'all ain't foolin anyone