Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do you write a good story?

Luna the Great of all the Russias

Without going into much detail, I have already worked enough on a universe to the point where I think I can begin a working on a story based off of it. Problem is that I have no experience in actually writing stories seriously. In general what makes a good story? What are things I should keep in mind when writing stories? Would appreciate help.

Well it depends, one of the first things you need to establish before starting is if you are going to write in a 3rd or 1st person context. This is massively important as it dictates the flow of your story.

Next you want to make sure that while you are being descriptive of scenes you don't want to overload your reader. A well written story allows the reader to create the world and characters they see. Give little tidbits about everything but be careful of over descriptions.

and my last tip is make sure things flow, you don't want a major story to be leading up to something big then jump off track with a few poor dialogue choices generally if it sounds forced such as adding a curse word were it really isn't needed it can throw an entire scene off.

GL

P.S having fun is also a very important part if it starts to feel like a chore take a break otherwise your boredom will rub off on your writing.  

Hi , just letting you know that I moved your topic from Non-Pony Artwork to Creative Resources. It fits best in the latter as the purpose of your topic is to ask for advice regarding writing/art as opposed to sharing a writing piece or other artwork.

Also, I recommend checking out the MLP Forums Writing Centre to get more help with writing.

The hero's journey steps are helpful guidelines.

http://www.thewritersjourney.com/hero%27s_journey.htm

A couple notes to add:

• You don't have to follow each step.  A few can be skipped, if needed.  Discord goes through one in Twilight's Kingdom and actually skips two steps.
  • Pick one character to focus on.  This will make the job easier.  You can hint that other characters have faced their own hero's journey, but only focus on one for simplicities sake.
  • Keep the plot simple.  It's easier to tell a story when your plot isn't overcomplicated.  Just stick with a simple "we must stop X".  This will allow you to spend more time world building and developing characters.
  • Since you created a universe, make sure the conflict will give you ample time to explore a lot of the world, but don't overload the reader with information.
  • Prereaders are an excellent help!