Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Embarrassing/Funny/Awesome Moments When Buying MLP Merchandise

GXPBlast

This is what happened the first time I asked to go up to Hot Topic. My parents drove me and let me look around the store while my mother and little sister (who exists lol) went to another part of the mall. I looked around through their entire section of shirts before I found a couple MLP shirts. I ended up buying a Doctor Whooves and Derpy one. I also got a CL4PTR4P one because they were buy 1 get 1 free. I kept the shirt hidden until the car ride home when my parents forced me to say what I got. When they said "Why would you buy that?" My little sister said "Because he's awesome"

(edited)

I kept the shirt hidden until the car ride home when my parents forced me to say what I got. When they said "Why would you buy that?" My little sister said "Because he's awesome"

Thats why its best not to buy stuff like that when parents are around lol.

But at least is came out positive for you. Other parents would have lost it.

Edited by GXPBlast

I never have any embarrassing or awkward moments when I buy mlp merchandise anyway cuz I'm a little gurrrl LOL.

Trollololololoolololollollllololollololololololololololololololololol but I still derp when I'm counting my money, so it's all even steven.

I never have any embarrassing or awkward moments when I buy mlp merchandise anyway cuz I'm a little gurrrl LOL.

Trollololololoolololollollllololollololololololololololololololololol but I still derp when I'm counting my money, so it's all even steven.

Oh come now, MLP is the MANLIEST thing ever!  :D

But to be honest I'm STILL :muffins: with my money WHILE buying my pony merchandise, which makes it all the more worse!

• Brohoof 2

I have the luck of having a 14 Year old sister, Who knows I'm a Brony. We just walk around the store and I tell her to get excited when we head for checkout. I get her something aswell, so I dont feel like an arse. :lol:

Perks of being "The cool older brother"

Before I told anyone about my Bronism, on the other hand, was always the same story. "Oh, Its not for me!, Its for my sister's birthday!". The cashier started to get suspicious when my sister had a birthday about once every 2 or so months. My expression was probably priceless when she said that she knew I was a fan. So I played it cool. B)

• Brohoof 3

Here is my "super embarrassing moment."

I got the register, I payed, but I forgot to count my change. 

But I've never really had any bad experiences. I think that everyone just assumes I'm buying for a younger sister or something. 

(edited)

I have the luck of having a 14 Year old sister, Who knows I'm a Brony. We just walk around the store and I tell her to get excited when we head for checkout. I get her something aswell, so I dont feel like an arse. :lol:

Perks of being "The cool older brother"

That can defiantly come in handy to avoid embarrassment XD.

Edited by GXPBlast

(edited)

I seen a lot of posts that mention using the 'it's for my sister/cousin escuse' though the one time I actually bought MLP mech it was actually for my little sister's birthday. This was about two months before I became a brony and when I walked in  I actually didn't think much of it as I walked in the dreaded 'pink aisle' and picked up a random pony figurine set and carried it to the counter. Funny enough, when the cashier asked about it and I told her it was for my sister, she just chuckled and gave me a knowing look which left me confused as hell as I walked out. It wasn't until I became a brony that I understood why she did that.

Edited by Blacklight01
  • Brohoof 3

I had gone to ToysRus yesterday to buy Celestia/rarity deck, but they didnt have it (they ran out and all that was left were Luna/rainbow dash decks), so I just bought the new Canterlot Nights boosters (I bought like 5) and the cashier didn't say anything about me buying mlp products, so I just walked out like ohhh yeah I just go me some new cards haha.

I then went to DNA Comics to buy the Celestia deck, and they had it, woot woot =D

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Looks like I will be buying my first pony merchandise eventually. Its going to be a subtle MLP themed shirt that really only a brony could spot which is good when trying to avoid negative attention from haters. Of course its going to be an online purchase lol.

Edited by GXPBlast
  • Brohoof 2

Even though I'm a girl, the people who work at the stores still look at me weird. Sometimes asking "Are theses for your little sister?, because you seem a bit too old to be playing with little plastic ponies"

I've never had any such moments when buying anything. I feel sorry for those that have been looked at wrongly by others. I've bought stuff while wearing themed shirts with no expression from the employees or anyone else. I suppose the varied reactions might be a regional thing.

Back when the Toy R'Us Zecoras came out, I managed to find one purely by accident. I go up to the register (and I have my headphones in so I'm partially deaf to the world) and the cashier asks me what sounds like if I'd like a bag for this, to which I quickly say no to. Then, all of a sudden, she gives me this knowing look and says "Oh, is this for you then?"

I swear I felt my face blush at that moment. I stammered something I can't quite remember, quickly paid and all but bolted from the store. 

Even though I'm a girl, the people who work at the stores still look at me weird. Sometimes asking "Are theses for your little sister?, because you seem a bit too old to be playing with little plastic ponies"

My older sister had that problem with hello kitty merch..... Now she has 3 kids so it's not bothering her now.......

• Brohoof 1

I was at Value Village, I snagged a couple bags of misc MLP toys, mainly because there were 3 Fluttershys in them.and they were like $3 for about 8 ponies, (3 brushables, 2 McDonald toys and a few blind bags) Upon checkout, girl at the cashier looked at my hat that had cutie mark buttons on it, then to me, and asked if they were for me, and I said yea. She gave me a hoof-bump before leaving. Turned out she was a pegasister. She was Pinkie Fan If I remember.it was kina awesome meeting anotherbrony/pegasuister like that. :squee:

• Brohoof 3

Until a few months ago I actually was buying MLP merch for my kids, Odd thing is that I never heard a peep buying girls toys before MLP ... and I did during that time.

Either way, comments do not phase me. Even walking down an aisle to buy something doesn't either. Being married with two daughters is like a vaccine for embarrassing purchases. ;)

Now, I'll be going to Wal-Mart afterwork and I may block off an hour just chilling looking at the Pony section and see what happens. I'll post the results here.

• Brohoof 1

I have no shame... i found a Vinyl Scratch plush...and thought "I NEEED THAT!!!" needless to say i was also with a friend, so we proceeded to walk around Wal-Mart with me carrying this plush, getting weird looks from EVERYONE...i got asked why i had that and i simply said "For the Wubs" and continued my shopping...nevertheless i ended up with a Vinyl Scratch, and Pinkie Pie plush i found later (while whistling "Smile") and thus ends my story *Proceeds to eat victory muffin*  :muffins:

Until a few months ago I actually was buying MLP merch for my kids, Odd thing is that I never heard a peep buying girls toys before MLP ... and I did during that time.

Either way, comments do not phase me. Even walking down an aisle to buy something doesn't either. Being married with two daughters is like a vaccine for embarrassing purchases. ;)

Now, I'll be going to Wal-Mart afterwork and I may block off an hour just chilling looking at the Pony section and see what happens. I'll post the results here.

Here's what i picture...

Captain's log, stardate 2014.6: Been sitting in the Pony section for 3 hours now...I think they suspect something...Will continue sitting in Pony section to gather more pertinent data on peoples reactions.  

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I have no shame... i found a Vinyl Scratch plush...and thought "I NEEED THAT!!!" needless to say i was also with a friend, so we proceeded to walk around Wal-Mart with me carrying this plush, getting weird looks from EVERYONE...i got asked why i had that and i simply said "For the Wubs" and continued my shopping...nevertheless i ended up with a Vinyl Scratch, and Pinkie Pie plush i found later (while whistling "Smile") and thus ends my story *Proceeds to eat victory muffin* :muffins:

Here's what i picture...

Captain's log, stardate 2014.6: Been sitting in the Pony section for 3 hours now...I think they suspect something...Will continue sitting in Pony section to gather more pertinent data on peoples reactions.

That is hilarious fellow brony. Edited by GXPBlast
  • Brohoof 1

Here's what i picture...

Captain's log, stardate 2014.6: Been sitting in the Pony section for 3 hours now...I think they suspect something...Will continue sitting in Pony section to gather more pertinent data on peoples reactions.  

You know that old adage about temping fate?

>_>

As planned I hit Wal-Mart to pick up a few things, but took 30 minutes to chill in the Pepto Bismol asile to see if I would get any reaction or looks. Within minutes a young couple came by and browsed ... inlcuding the MLP stuff. My entire interaction was the woman politely saying, "Uh, excuse me for a sec", as she proceeded to go through a rack of brushables. Noone else came down. I kept looking to see if I would even draw a glance for people walking down the main aisle. Nope. Needless to say, it was pretty much how every other time in the pink aisle went for me in the last 14 years. I walked away empty handed since I exclusively a Funko guy right now.

I got bored so I finished my shopping. One of the items was an AC router, which was on an end cap and did NOT have that typical security band around it. Of course there were no electronics associates there to check out anyway so I simple put the router in the cart and left for the front check out lines.

As I was trying to choose between the long lines to check out I noticed that on the small card game section by the check out lines -- there was a crap ton of Funko's. I went to check them out and saw a Pinkie Pie which I hadn't picked up. In the cart she went. At this point Wal-Mart management must have pressed the trap door under the scant amount of cashiers sending them to the dungeon. The lines were rediculous. Except the self check out line.

I go to check out and scan away and bag my stuff. I scanned the router second to last and bagged it and grabbed the next item in my cart. The screen informed me that I needed management assistance. I forgot that they likely needed to deactivate the theft prevention junk. Within a few seconds a manager comes over to do her thing looks at me with a confused expression and says very loudly, "What? Since when does My Little Pony need management approval?"

:blink:

I was holding Pinkie Pie in my hand so she must have assumed that that was the the culprit. Then, as if on cue, everyone in earshot  turned their heads to look at me, and sure enough ... glances of mixed disapproval and amusement were all around me. I pointed out that it was the router that triggered it and she scanned it, punched in her code and done. Her parting words were simply, "You know, it would be pretty funny in they did make all these toys require authorization."

Yeah, that happened. I wasn't embarrased or anything, but I couldn't put it out of my mind that many many others would have been in that situation. I have had comments here and there over the years ... but nothing that ever drew attention.

I blame Pinkie Pie

• Brohoof 4

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Goes to show that girls also have to deal with the crap that male bronies have dealt with although to a lessor extent it still happens.

Edited by GXPBlast

Well, in Thailand they just started having DVDs for sales at 7-11 and I thought it might be a good Idea to buy it. So, I went to the closest 7-11 and began picking up all the DVDs and suddenly, a girl, who came with her mother, was pointing at my hands (full of ponies DVDs) and shouting, "Mom, looks at this guy. He was buying a girl cartoon." And then everyone was looking at me like I was some kind of criminal. I was a bit embarrassing at that moment, but my ego didn't stop me. I walked up to the cashier (Who was a very cute girl) with my head held high and I told her, "Is there anymore of these? I think the 3 volume is missing." She looked stunned then she was giggling and she went into the storage room and brought out the one I asked for. Then I leave the place like a man.

For some reason, I want to buy eome Ponymerch now that I've read your story.

"Then I leave the place like a man". And suddenly, the store exploded from PeriodicTikky's bossness.

I don't really have any issues due to using an extremely simple tactic.

I put my phone to my ear and say things like:

• "Which one was it you wanted?"
  • "It's $X"
  • "Are you sure you want it?"
  • "Alright, I'm about to pay, last chance to change your mind."

I have done this 7 times and so far haven't had one strange look from anyone at a checkout.

• Brohoof 1

I go to check out and scan away and bag my stuff. I scanned the router second to last and bagged it and grabbed the next item in my cart. The screen informed me that I needed management assistance. I forgot that they likely needed to deactivate the theft prevention junk. Within a few seconds a manager comes over to do her thing looks at me with a confused expression and says very loudly, "What? Since when does My Little Pony need management approval?"

:blink:

I was holding Pinkie Pie in my hand so she must have assumed that that was the the culprit. Then, as if on cue, everyone in earshot  turned their heads to look at me, and sure enough ... glances of mixed disapproval and amusement were all around me. I pointed out that it was the router that triggered it and she scanned it, punched in her code and done.

I blame Pinkie Pie

Haha :lol:  Stuff does seem to get screwed up quite often when Pinkie's around!