Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So Hasbro is Claiming Fan-Made Videos Now. Thoughts?

nami438

(edited)

So I'm on Youtube and looking at completely fanmade pony animations, and I see that many videos have the "More from: HasbroStudiosShorts" next to the description in the About section.

From what I know, this means that Hasbro is using ContentID on these videos. A favorite pony reviewer of mine says that he got hit with a Content Match from Hasbro over his review of Snowdrop. For those who don't know, Snowdrop is a completely fanmade animation, with not a second of music or animation from the show or anything related whatsoever, and his review video that got hit did not have any violating content either. I see this on other 100% original videos too, like Twilight the Unicorn and Digibro's review of Snowdrop.

Click below to see two videos that have the "More from: HasbroStudiosShorts" next to their descriptions. You have to go to the video's original page to see it.

(Disclaimer, Digibro does use content from Kyoto Animation without permission here, but to my knowledge it's Hasbro getting at least some of the money)

What this means is that Hasbro is claiming to own content that they do not and have never owned. To add insult to injury, if Hasbro is doing like many music companies do with ContentID, Hasbro is making thousands of dollars off of these animations that again, they do not own, while the actual video owners and creators get nothing.

So now, I'm wondering, why on Earth is Hasbro claiming videos that they don't own? And how are they using ContentID to auto-match content that they did not know even existed until it hit Youtube? I am led to believe that they are manually tag these videos as they see them get popular, or they have agreements with the videomakers beforehand (which would be a relief).

I would chalk this up as being like the Button Mash drama, but in that case, they didn't try to make money off of his work, they asked him to take it down because every character in the cartoons bar one violated their copyrights (and possibly trademarks). Is it legal to monetize a video and keep the entirety of the profits without consent, just because of one or two characters? I would think Hasbro would have to take the video maker to court and sue for damages first. A video violating one's copyright does not mean that they own the entire video.

Edited by nami438
  • Brohoof 2

Well, who knows? Really, life is unfair. And the way the ponies walk, talk and do everything was first made my HASBRO. Then guys just come along and use their structure (i'll call it that) to build their own animations and ponies videos off of. It's not fair to HASBRO either. And besides, if these creator and animators really had a problem with it they'd do something. They'd write, email, talk about it. DO SOMETHING! Don't just sit there! We're making posts about their problems, but they need to be the ones to do something.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Don't really care. It is Hasbro's IP, they have the rights to it and they have the right to protect their copyright. If people are trying to make money while using things that belong to Hasbro in their videos, that's their fault.

Hasbro has to protect its copyrights. That's how it works. Don't wanna get content ID claimed? Don't use ads. Simple.

Edited by Kyoshi
  • Brohoof 9

Don't really care. It is Hasbro's IP, they have the rights to it and they have the right to protect their copyright. If people are trying to make money while using things that belong to Hasbro in their videos, that's their fault.

Hasbro has to protect its copyrights. That's how it works. Don't wanna get content ID claimed? Don't use ads. Simple.

Trying to monetize a video is what triggers content ID? I will keep this in mind.

Well, who knows? Really, life is unfair. And the way the ponies walk, talk and do everything was first made my HASBRO. Then guys just come along and use their structure (i'll call it that) to build their own animations and ponies videos off of. It's not fair to HASBRO either. And besides, if these creator and animators really had a problem with it they'd do something. They'd write, email, talk about it. DO SOMETHING! Don't just sit there! We're making posts about their problems, but they need to be the ones to do something.

Good point on the creators not complaining about it, at least not to my knowledge. Makes me wonder if they had an agreement with Hasbro for this to happen.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I love the animations of snowdrop and buttonmash, I don't like the CnD's, but I know why Hasbro is doing it, I understand why they are doin it, so please just stop it.

Hasbro is not the devil.

[edit: Oh wait, they were trying to monetize the video? Yeah, then hasbro was in the right.]

Edited by Minister KelGrym
  • Brohoof 2

I think what Hasbro is doing is saying that MLP:FiM is owned by them, and they are taking advantage of advertising on MLP related youtube channels. I'm always seeing those shorts for Rainbow Rocks on the side of the screen. I don't think it's anything to worry about. 

I love the animations of snowdrop and buttonmash, I don't like the CnD's, but I know why Hasbro is doing it, I understand why they are doin it, so please just stop it.

Hasbro is not the devil.

[edit: Oh wait, they were trying to monetize the video? Yeah, then hasbro was in the right.]

I don't see why they would CnD things like JanAnimation's Button Mash, but keep Smile HD on there...

Maybe it was more of the fact that JanAnimations Videos were too accurate to the shows style.

• Brohoof 1

In a perfect world, Hasbro would shut down Digibrony. Not the analysts - just him.

And, seeing as it's Hasbro's Intellectual Property, I can't really blame them. It's a business move - not one meant to slight our fandom. 

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

Hehe, well I think it may be fair to do so if the videos have the same animation. Now, if Hasbro were to see every fan made pony video and were like, "NU, IT'S MEINE NAO", there should be some concern involved. MLP belongs to them, but original fan made videos belong to the fans, and Hasbro shouldn't be taking the credit for it if that's the case.^^

Edited by Princess PeachBlink
  • Brohoof 1

Hasbro is not the devil.

These aren't C&D's, this is Hasbro making money off of these people. And now I do agree, I did not know that these videos were being monetized.

Now I'm wondering why the ContentID doesn't seem to show up on the video below (NSFW), I know for a fact that the creator is monetizing it. Maybe the money is going to Hasbro and I just can't see it.

I think what Hasbro is doing is saying that MLP:FiM is owned by them, and they are taking advantage of advertising on MLP related youtube channels. I'm always seeing those shorts for Rainbow Rocks on the side of the screen. I don't think it's anything to worry about. 

I don't see why they would CnD things like JanAnimation's Button Mash, but keep Smile HD on there...

Maybe it was more of the fact that JanAnimations Videos were too accurate to the shows style.

That is exactly why they CnD'd Jananimations. It was too close to the show, and could easily be mistaken as their content. With Smile HD...well that isn't happening.

• Brohoof 2

Hehe, well I think it may be fair to do so if the videos have the same animation. Now, if Hasbro were to see every fan made pony video and were like, "NU, IT'S MEINE NAO", there should be some concern involved. MLP belongs to them, but original fan made videos belong to the fans, and Hasbro shouldn't be taking the credit for it if that's the case.^^

This would explain why Max Gilardi seems not to get hit with ContentID.

(edited)

In a perfect world, Hasbro would shut down Digibrony. Not the analysts - just him.

And, seeing as it's Hasbro's Intellectual Property, I can't really blame them. It's a business move - not one meant to slight our fandom. 

Mm? Isn't Digibro just another reviewer? :wacko:

It'd just a matter of time before Hasbro comes after the fan forums.

Just discussing the show isn't illegal, and thank goodness Google Law has no power here. ;)

Edited by nami438
  • Brohoof 3

Mind you explain your dislike for Digibrony, not that I'm trying to defend him in any shape or form?

• Brohoof 2

These aren't C&D's, this is Hasbro making money off of these people. And now I do agree, I did not know that these videos were being monetized.

Okay, now I see what's going on.

If hasbro puts an ad on your youtube fanvideo, I don't think that's something to get your panties twisted in a bunch about. All it's doing is contributing to the source your passionate fanvid is all about.

Seems more like a win win situation.

• Brohoof 3

again, Hasbro is the douche bag of the toy world, claiming everything that they see as theirs because they think they can. You know, people should really be boycotting something for the clear thievery of Hasbro. Or do something.

• Brohoof 2

Okay, now I see what's going on.

If hasbro puts an ad on your youtube fanvideo, I don't think that's something to get your panties twisted in a bunch about. All it's doing is contributing to the source your passionate fanvid is all about.

Seems more like a win win situation.

That's a nicer way to look at it.

again, Hasbro is the douche bag of the toy world, claiming everything that they see as theirs because they think they can. You know, people should really be boycotting something for the clear thievery of Hasbro. Or do something.

I would prefer that they share money with the video creators (if the creators want money), but at present Youtube doesn't allow for this. All the Adsense money has to go to one account.

I can understand why they had to protect their rights to the MLP franchise with the toys and the show.

They really do have to what they can to secure the rights to the franchise and I didn't hear any members of the teams complaining about the fan-videos taking down which can suggest that they made an agreement with the toy company although it sometimes makes me question if the executives are really making this a win-win situation for us and the crew who work on the show.

• Brohoof 1

It'd just a matter of time before Hasbro comes after the fan forums.

That would be unheard of, it is like BBC taking down a Whovian forum.

I don't see why they would want to take down the forums anyway. It is probably benefiting them in some way shape or form.

Ridiculous.

While I think copyright laws in the U.S. are outdated and need serious revision, there really isn't any thievery here.

This is Hasbro's IP which all these fanvideos are derived from. These fanvideos are not made for profit, but some of them get profit from adsense anyways, so if hasbro wants to put their ads on these videos or take them down, they are completely within their rights.

• Brohoof 1

Ridiculous.

While I think copyright laws in the U.S. are outdated and need serious revision, there really isn't any thievery here.

This is Hasbro's IP which all these fanvideos are derived from. These fanvideos are not made for profit, but some of them get profit from adsense anyways, so if hasbro wants to put their ads on these videos or take them down, they are completely within their rights.

But does that make it right for Hasbro to claim it still? Yes, it derive from MLP, but it is not MLP. That is like saying StarTrek and StarWars are derived from Doctor Who. They are not at all related besides the fact that they are in space. If a creation contains similarities to another that does not make it the property of the other.

• Brohoof 1

But does that make it right for Hasbro to claim it still? Yes, it derive from MLP, but it is not MLP. That is like saying StarTrek and StarWars are derived from Doctor Who. They are not at all related besides the fact that they are in space. If a creation contains similarities to another that does not make it the property of the other.

If the video is making a profit from adsense?

Yes.

However I think the creators of these videos had something worked out with Hasbro involving this, so if that is so, what's the point of getting riled up over a business deal already agreed upon?

If it were simply the case of fan made content that made no profit whatsoever, and Hasbro came around and said, "Mine!" I would probably object to it. I could understand a CnD if the content was too much like Hasbro's, but not claiming it.

Copyright and patent bullshit aside, people seem to be okay all of the sudden with Hasbro destroying fan creations.

If people want to argue on the point of "its Hasbro's franchise" so be it, but you also are arguing for Bronies not being able to create any kind of fan content at all because Hasbro owns it or should be able to shut it down.

You don't see Nintendo murdering fan projects in the night, and a lot of them are more involved than anything the Bronies do. Hasbro isn't the devil, but it's also a company and it should and can be boycotted if you don't agree with moves it makes, even if they are legal. If Hasbro started supporting something you didn't like, like higher taxes for the poor, you'd all be bashing them even if they're within their legal right to do so. Just because something's legal doesn't mean one can't take issue with it.

• Brohoof 3